• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 10:52 AM

Being both my chain saws were out of order, today I fired the shop heater & took both my Craftsman (Poulan) 42cc saw , and my Husqvarna 55 apart for a good servicing.  The carb has been acting up on the Craftsman, so I just ordered a brand new complete carb for $20 instead of a kit for $13.  That & the good cleaning it got should put this saw back into running order.  I had already put new Tygon fuel line on a while back.  

The Husqvarna 55 had a bad fuel line, but the entire saw got taken apart (engine left intact) for a thorough cleaning.  The air gap was a bit wide on the mag, rope rewind was sticky, one rubber fuel tank mount bad, and generally just packed with crud.  All is cleaned up & awaiting parts, so both saws got put in boxes till the parts arrive.  

Needed to do this a long time ago, but kept putting it off.  Snow was falling this morning, so a good time to git-R-dun!  Well, half done at this point.

• Texas Deere and Horse, hamman, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#2 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29382
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 11:11 AM

I cleaned my saws up at the beginning of winter and put them in my basement to keep them clean and dry. Granted, all of my saws should be chained to a shelf at this point with how old they are, but they are fun to use.

I hope the work pays off and they keep working had for you. I think that my one saw is going to be needing a carburetor rebuild soon.

#3 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,448 Thanks
  • 3,998 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 11:11 AM

stihl-logo.jpg

• tractorgarden and JDBrian have said thanks

#4 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 04:12 PM

That name is a little expensive for me, and old saws are more fun to use.

#5 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 04:19 PM

My Poulan Craftsman is a good 15 years old & up till the last 2 years was problem free & cut as good as the Husqvarna 55 Rancher.  Then all of a sudden both started giving trouble.  My son bought a brand new Stihl weedeater & it was trouble from the start.  You never know.

• tractorgarden and HDWildBill have said thanks

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 03:46 PM

The Husqvarna 55 is running like a new one!  Now to find time to take down the 2 trees out at Dad's.  The Craftsman saw needs a new primer bulb that I didn't notice the other day, so new one on order.  One saw running is fine for the time being anyway.

#7 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 08:45 PM

My Poulan Craftsman is a good 15 years old & up till the last 2 years was problem free & cut as good as the Husqvarna 55 Rancher.  Then all of a sudden both started giving trouble.  My son bought a brand new Stihl weedeater & it was trouble from the start.  You never know.

I had the same issue with my new Ryobi weedeater. Found out that it was tune so lean, it would barely run at idle and would immediately bog down when engaged into grass/weeds. I couldn't adjust the tamper proof screws so I took my dremel, cut me slots in both mixture screws. I put 3/4 turn on each screw, richened my fuel up a tad more than the 50:1. Now she runs like a scalded dog!!! 

Stupid EPA and their regulations!!! 

I have 2 old Stihls and an Older homelite, would love to get all three running. My dad had an old cheap Poulan from Lowes, it still fires up and runs good. 

#8 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 09:31 PM

My brother has a Husqvarna that we use as the primary saw, but I still bring out my saws from time to time and use them to cut. My brother just bought a larger Stihl weed eater last summer and it seems to work just fine.