• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • Member No: 54810
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 08:29 PM

Okay now that I have my hood nearly ready to go I'm starting to get excited about moving farther along with this project.

Tonight I ordered some vinyl "David Bradley" decals for the hood and also some hand grips for the handle bars.

I'm still not going to do anything with the tractor or implements until I get my garden put in but as soon as it's done I'm planning on stripping things down....sandblasting them to bare metal and then painting it all up.

So one thing that I definitely want to do is to replace the tires with something new. I honestly don't know that it needs new tires but the ones that are currently on the tractor are a little weather cracked and probably only at about 40% - 50% tread and I can't help but think that new tires will give a better grip when plowing. 

The AG tires that I posted in some earlier photos are on 15" rims but these don't seem to be readily available. Thankfully I also have a set of 16" rims with the original "knobby" style of tires that I would like to put some AG tires on and also move my wheel weights from the 15" to the 16".

Tonight I was doing some surfing and came across the following link for some AG style tires that I hope will work with my tractor. 

Compared to most garden tractor tires these seem to be a good buy but I want to make sure that they will fit my rims.

Also, when I emailed the seller he seemed pretty adamant about giving him a call concerning these tires. That makes me think that there is probably a better deal available if we can bypass the ebay/paypal fees by buying direct from his company. 

Anyway, here's the link: http://www.ebay.com/..._qi=RTM1562571 

Please let me know if these are ones that will work for me.

Thanks a lot.

Dave

#2 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,452 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 09:10 PM

you have to love an ad that states the tires are for a Bolens Husky. I'm not aware of any Bolens husky that used a 16" tire. Almost all my used or original tires have some cracking in them, just a normal part of old tires. I wouldn't get all worked up about it. Db made these tractor under the banner of "used tire", meaning you bought the tractors without any rubber and installed what so ever and installed, used auto tires you had lying around. Lots of them had chains over the bald car tires from the get go. I'd watch the tread depth, as a deep one will load the engine and work the clutch hard, when it hooks up. You not doing a tractor pull here, just a little gardening, lift the handles some and it will stop spinning out.

• Likesspace said thank you

#3 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 09:18 PM

Lauber1....I honestly appreciate the information and the insight.

Sometimes I get a little carried away when I start playing with this old equipment. The same thing happened when I was re-doing some old John Deere tractors. 

My dad basically told me the same thing yesterday. He recommended running the tires that I have instead of springing for some new ones. 

The tractor really didn't slip much even though the ground was damp so maybe I am jumping the gun. It's just that shiny new tires would look so good once I have everything all painted up.  :rolling:

Honestly, your advice is what I needed to hear. I have two good sets of tires so I don't need to spend money needlessly. I guess I'll just stick with what I have and save the money for more implements.

Again, thanks for the good advice.

#4 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,452 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 09:29 PM

well I'd take some of that $180 you didn't spend and get some tire dressing products. They make a tire bleach that will just about take off anything but hard paint and lots of different shine things, like the car show guys use. You would be surprised how good they look later on, and there already made out of better rubber than the new one started with.

• WHdbJD and Likesspace have said thanks

#5 shallowwatersailor OFFLINE  

shallowwatersailor

Tractorholic

• Member No: 812
  • 87 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 05:49 PM

I just used the tire paint from Miller Tire on the DB I bought Sunday. They are Mansfield 6.50-16 and turned out pretty good. Sorry for the rain drops on the tire!

DSCF9777.JPG DSCF9732.JPG

Edited by shallowwatersailor, April 15, 2014 - 10:22 PM.

• Likesspace said thank you

#6 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 07:55 PM

Thanks for the information, guys.

As for the better quality of rubber I really don't think that, that fact can be disputed. 

The Allstate knobby tires that I have still look really good and I'm pretty sure that they are the originals. If that is the case, they've held up really well for being 60 years old. 

Even the AG tread tires that I have on now don't look too bad. The cleats are worn down quite a bit but the sidewall cracking is pretty minimal. I'm sure that they will last several more years and the use of tire dressing will help.

Again, I appreciate the ideas and information.