Allis Chalmers 816 Puller

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lesmeister OFFLINE  

• Member No: 30635
  • 185 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 12:10 PM

Has anyone used a allis chalmers 816 to make a puller? Are they strong enough, what are the weak points, any information would be great. Thanks

#2 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,222 Thanks
  • 1,752 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 02:42 PM

There wa an 800 series puller on CL a while back and I believe they said the axle broke but not totally sure but I do know that something on it had broke. Hope this helps some in your decision.

• lesmeister said thank you

#3 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

• Member No: 11127
  • 1,325 Thanks
  • 1,509 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 05:35 PM

I would say no. The axles look weak on these and with them having a vari drive? it would cause the belt to really slip and put a lot of strain on the trans. There are ways to make the belts not slip but I would be afraid of the axles going crunch. So I would say no. Look for an actual gear drive. Something with a horizontal motor in it. That's just my opinion though 

• lesmeister said thank you

#4 Cheetah OFFLINE  

• Member No: 35081
  • 57 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 11:51 PM

Depends on the class.

Here in NH, we have what we call an 8" Superstock class, which means you must use 8" wheels with a maximum of 18x9.50x8 tires in which the tires can be cut to improve traction. It is a lightweight class, with 750 lbs (with driver) being the max. The rules for the class also requires the tractors to be belt drive, and they must run a Briggs motor with a max of 18 hp.

I ran a Simplicity 6216 which is the same tractor AFAIK, just a different paint job, for a few years. I was the season champ for 3 straight years, then I gave it to my dad, and last year he was the season champ.

So yes, it can be a good puller, but it depends on the class you plan to run in. If you plan to run it in a 1000 lb, stock class, it may not be the ideal choice with 12" wheels. It depends on the club's rules that you intend to pull with.