• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 pianotuner OFFLINE  

pianotuner

• Member No: 7799
  • 55 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted April 17, 2014 - 12:48 PM

I went to a shop supplying parts for big rigs and cats.  They did a pressure check for free.  Then they told me to take the paint and rust off the bottom of the cylinder before tapping it out.  You just tap on the rod and push the bottom plate out.  the pin on the bottom holds the bottom seal in.  I gave the 20 for the parts and 20 for lunch.  I knew I got a deal but had NO idea they charge that much for 20 minutes work.  Sounds like these other shops know how to hose the customers.

Those hoses with radiator clamps are not right either.

Edited by pianotuner, April 17, 2014 - 12:54 PM.

• olcowhand said thank you

#17 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 02:16 AM

The loader hoses are fine as long as the wires under the abrasion covering are not broken. There's not usually much that abrades GT FEL hoses. Those are weather checked from years in the sun, but still functional.

Supply hoses for pumps often use hose nipples and gear clamps. That one appears to also have a split hose clamped on as an abrasion cover.

• toppop52 said thank you

#18 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,464 Thanks
  • 3,364 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 08:48 AM

Yep, that's my old tractor and I can tell you the hoses aren't pretty but functional.

• ENafziger said thank you

#19 ENafziger OFFLINE  

ENafziger
  • Member No: 45112
  • 254 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 12:19 PM

Well, Dad and I got the belly brace made for the FEL.  Since this is pretty much a dedicated FEL rig and won't see any belly accessories, I opted to tie the FEL belly cross mount into all four tabbed locations under the mid section.

WP_20140421 46.jpg

WP_20140421 47.jpg

WP_20140421 48.jpg

WP_20140421 49.jpg

WP_20140421 45.jpg

WP_20140421 35.jpg

I'll clean it up and make it pretty when I start tearing down the tractor to re-do it.  I had to put a 4th spare tire on it though Saturday just long enough to help me with some transmission work...

WP_20140421 9.jpg

WP_20140421 22.jpg

WP_20140421 3.jpg

• olcowhand said thank you

#20 ENafziger OFFLINE  

ENafziger
  • 254 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 12:23 PM

This thread is kindof all over the place already, so I'll add something else.  I think the FEL is a Johnson Workhorse Model 12.  I have never been able to operate both sets of hydraulics on the FEL at the same time...i.e. you can't curl the bucket and raise the bucket simultaneously.  Is this how this was designed?  Or is it an indication that pump flow is getting weak?  It'd really speed things up to be able to perform two functions together.

• toppop52 and 16501855 have said thanks

#21 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,464 Thanks
  • 3,364 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 12:51 PM

It is a Johnson 12, and same with me, I assumed, they may have used a splitter valve setup to save on spools but never really looked, If it has separate spools for each function they should work like an industrial type unit.

#22 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • Member No: 25875
  • 1,665 Thanks
  • 1,646 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 01:28 PM

Well, Dad and I got the belly brace made for the FEL.  Since this is pretty much a dedicated FEL rig and won't see any belly accessories, I opted to tie the FEL belly cross mount into all four tabbed locations under the mid section.

attachicon.gifWP_20140421 46.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20140421 47.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20140421 48.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20140421 49.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20140421 45.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20140421 35.jpg

I'll clean it up and make it pretty when I start tearing down the tractor to re-do it.  I had to put a 4th spare tire on it though Saturday just long enough to help me with some transmission work...

attachicon.gifWP_20140421 9.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20140421 22.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20140421 3.jpg

Cute little helper you got there! :thumbs:

#23 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 03:17 PM

Good looking cross tie!  When using the first spool, the 2nd spool only gets oil when you let off the 1st one.  If they did use a divider valve to keep oil to both spools at the same time, it would slow your action of both spools, so you're just as well off as it is.  Otherwise you'd have to have a larger displacement hydraulic pump.  Now if you put a joystick control on there, the switching from one spool to the other is so fast it almost makes it seem like there is a split system.

#24 ENafziger OFFLINE  

ENafziger
  • 254 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 05:20 PM

Good looking cross tie!  When using the first spool, the 2nd spool only gets oil when you let off the 1st one.  If they did use a divider valve to keep oil to both spools at the same time, it would slow your action of both spools, so you're just as well off as it is.  Otherwise you'd have to have a larger displacement hydraulic pump.  Now if you put a joystick control on there, the switching from one spool to the other is so fast it almost makes it seem like there is a split system.

You already alluded to my next question.  Has anyone put a larger capacity pump on one of these?  The engine is obviously not lacking for power.  I normally am running at maybe 1/2 throttle most of the time.  I guess the question...is the system flow limited through the valves/spools or would increasing the flowrate of the pump decrease the cycle time of the hydraulics?

#25 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 06:13 PM

I don't know what size hoses you have, but increasing flow may just increase resistance, causing oil to heat up & not shorten cycle time as much as expected, but the cycle times would shorten.  Plus the size of ports in the valve body may be smallish as well for increased flow.  I am NO expert on hydraulics by any means though.  I deal with hydraulics a lot on my farm, but that doesn't make me know what a hydraulic educated guy does.

#26 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,464 Thanks
  • 3,364 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 07:33 PM

Tudor is the hydraulics guru, give him a pm.

#27 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 11:50 PM

Quarter inch hoses will handle a flow rate of 5.6 gpm. I push the issue slightly to a 6 gpm pump at 3600 rpm, but my throttle won't hold  full rpm and normally doesn't get much above 2/3 for loader work.

Too much flow causes turbulence in the system. Like olcowhand says, it will warm up pretty quick and you won't achieve the benefits that should be there.

A pump with a displacement of 0.36 cu-in will flow 5.6 gpm at 3600 rpm.

#28 ENafziger OFFLINE  

ENafziger
  • 254 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 11:12 AM

Quarter inch hoses will handle a flow rate of 5.6 gpm. I push the issue slightly to a 6 gpm pump at 3600 rpm, but my throttle won't hold  full rpm and normally doesn't get much above 2/3 for loader work.

Too much flow causes turbulence in the system. Like olcowhand says, it will warm up pretty quick and you won't achieve the benefits that should be there.

A pump with a displacement of 0.36 cu-in will flow 5.6 gpm at 3600 rpm.

Great info...thanks!  I'm going to have to make new lines anyway.  I guess I was hoping that I could step up to 5/16" or 3/8" lines, along with a higher flow pump, and get faster response out of the FEL.  Normally it's not a huge deal, but there's times faster motion would really help.  I burn alot of big brush piles, and frequently use the tractor to push the pile together, dump new brush and logs on, etc.  Due to the minimal distance from the bucket to the front of the tractor, it gets pretty toasty...and sometimes waiting 12 - 20 seconds in the midst of the heat gets a little intense while I'm waiting on the bucket.  Actually last time out, I exploded a front tire due to heat.

--Eric

• IamSherwood said thank you

#29 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 01:19 AM

That sounds like a smaller pump than I mentioned. Lift time from ground to full height should be about 7 seconds and the bucket should be even faster. Try a 0.39 cu-in displacement pump. It will flow about 10% too much at WOT, but that's surviveable if you spend most of the time at a lesser throttle setting.

If you have too much flow, overcontrolling the loader can be a problem. When I cranked the throttle to max, with the right/wrong situation, I have bounced the front tires off the ground before I could let go of the handles.

#30 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,449 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 05:54 AM

Wow that is slow ! Clould that pump be the wrong one ? Or turning too slow from pulleys not sized correctly ?