• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 ENafziger OFFLINE  

ENafziger
  • Member No: 45112
  • 254 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 10:24 AM

I'm having a hard run with 3 pt lift cylinders lately.  The one on my Massey 1855 with the FEL has a pitted shaft, and leaks down quickly.  I replaced it with a spare cylinder I got from a parts tractor.  All was well for two days, until I hooked on to the 3 point to pull a pallet.  The rod pulled completely out of the hydraulic cylinder, and fluid went everywhere. :(

I've got 3 of these cylinders that are all needing rebuilt.  Partstree shows there is a Benton and a Victor cylinder, but it's not clear how to identify which one is which?  The exploded diagram doesn't show how the rod is supposed to be held into the cylinder either.

Has anyone rebuilt these before who could give some advice?  Has someone identified a drop-in replacement cylinder?

I also blew my 3rd tire Saturday, and stripped something in the steering gearbox.  It's getting costly keeping these things going!

Thanks, Eric

• gtcsreg said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 10:27 AM

Got a rabbit around there to borrow a foot from? You need something for sure. Hope the luck changes.

#3 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 10:28 AM

Good luck Eric, I tried to find one the whole time I owned it. The size isn't reproduced by anyone today that I can find.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 10:32 AM

Simpler just to take them to a hydraulic shop.  They can match up what you would need fast, and likely cheaper than the time it would take you to source them.   Not had one of these particular cylinders apart, but most have a nut on the end of the shaft, aft the piston, or the shaft simply threads into the piston itself.  

• MH81 said thank you

#5 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 10:48 AM

It's a unit that ought to sell for $140 or so, and the shop here wanted $275 to rebuild it, if they could save the shaft.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 10:57 AM

It's a unit that ought to sell for $140 or so, and the shop here wanted $275 to rebuild it, if they could save the shaft.

That's a shop proud of their labor!  I rebuilt a cylinder on my front end loader on my Massey 1655.  The rubber components cost me less than a $20 bill (maybe $10, I forget).  It took him 15 minutes just to look it up.  I paid him more than he asked being it took him several minutes dealing with it.  The MF1855's cylinder is easy to take apart & rebuild yourself if it only needs new seals & such.  

#7 ENafziger OFFLINE  

ENafziger
  • Member No: 45112
  • 254 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 11:43 AM

Thanks guys.  I'll tear into it, it's just one of those times that everything is coming apart at once.  I am learning alot, and will come out the better though!

It looks like this rod was held in with a circlip that must've let loose.  I haven't disassembled the cylinder though.  Maybe something else broke as well.

It looks like it might be time to just tear this tractor down and go through everything.  There's a leak coming out of the side of the pump:

WP_20140412_010.jpg

I noticed the frame mount of the FEL has shifted on the rear axle significantly.  These tubes clamp around the rear axle. Things have shifted to the left in this picture by about 2", although it's hard to tell from the poor quality pic.

WP_20140412_011.jpg

After looking things over, I think there's a brace missing that is supposed to connect to the base of the two pillars on the FEL assembly, and pin into the tabs under the mid-section of the tractor. 

WP_20140412_025.jpg

WP_20140412_026.jpg

The hoses have seen better days.  None are leaking yet, but it might be about time to replace them.

WP_20140412_028.jpg

I found there's a brace missing on the hydraulic pump for the FEL that is supposed to take the rotational force too.  It should connect to the side of the pump cover/gaurd on the front of the tractor:

WP_20140412_016.jpg

The fan needs some attention as well, as I work this unit pretty hard in hot weather.

WP_20140412_012.jpg

The engine has developed a significant oil leak from somewhere too:

WP_20140412_014.jpg

And a pinched hoseclamp around the lines to the FEL pump is restricting flow:

WP_20140412_017.jpg

There's various welds that are cracking, and other miscellaneous items that need attention.  I think the fuel pump needs replaced, as it takes 20 cranking attempts to get it to start unless you pour some gas in the carb.

While I'm at it, I need to put a set of tires on it.  I've blown 3 front ones, and one of the rears leaks down over a few weeks.  It really needs some major weight on the rear wheels.  And, the entire steering needs reworked.  And, the lever for the 2 speed rear end has broken. And...

In better news however, the toothbar I just got for it really works well!!

WP_20140410_19_44_00_Pro.jpg

So, in the coming weeks, look for a freshen-up thread to start :)

--Eric

Edited by ENafziger, April 14, 2014 - 11:46 AM.

• IamSherwood, KennyP and gtcsreg have said thanks

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 12:06 PM

The belly cross link is critical!  It connects upward to the frame to direct the pressure to the frame.  Now it has to be transferred along the length of the undercarriage of the loader.  That is why it has shifted.  But I don't think the missing cross plate pins to the deck mount tabs.  They usually bolt directly to the frame rail sides.

• IamSherwood and ENafziger have said thanks

#9 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 12:15 PM

I think these ones measure pretty close but don't have as much power.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4acd69391e

• ENafziger said thank you

#10 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 01:28 PM

That's a shop proud of their labor!  I rebuilt a cylinder on my front end loader on my Massey 1655.  The rubber components cost me less than a $20 bill (maybe $10, I forget).  It took him 15 minutes just to look it up.  I paid him more than he asked being it took him several minutes dealing with it.  The MF1855's cylinder is easy to take apart & rebuild yourself if it only needs new seals & such.  

It's like Eric said, it needs a shaft. We're talking about the same tractor.

#11 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 03:29 PM

Nice loader, but you need to replace those hoses before they burst while you have a load in the bucket and squirt hot fluid all over yourself!

I would take the hydraulic cylinders apart then go to the hydraulic shop for the seals and glands then put it back together yourself.

#12 gtcsreg ONLINE  

gtcsreg
  • Member No: 25875
  • 1,666 Thanks
  • 1,649 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 03:52 PM

Man, tough times for you.  Sorry!  I'm just getting ready to deal with my 3 point swap from my donor tractor to my user and my rusty and bent cylinder shaft concerns me.  I doubt this will work ( and it's too cold to go out and look) but I don't suppose the mid mount cylinder is the same one as the rear cylinder?  I could strip the old one from the donor if it was.  Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread just similar stuff.

#13 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 04:37 PM

Sounds like you are in need of a mid life refit for that 1855. I find it's hard to get started on one because it usually costs more and takes longer than you thought to get it done. 

#14 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 06:06 AM

Yeah, it looks like it's time for a tear down. There isn't much worse, then

having something else fail on you, just about every time you fire a machine

up. Sorry, I can't help you on that cylinder either. Maybe check with some

of the sight sponsers, or the some of the salvage yards that list frequently

on ebay. Somewhere on the site here, someone had come up with a good

replacement for that fan.

• KennyP and ENafziger have said thanks

#15 bigge61 OFFLINE  

bigge61

• Member No: 2914
  • 96 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted April 16, 2014 - 11:53 PM

I had one of those cylinders rebuilt at a shop in Des Moines,IA it was almost $300! The guy said it was all standard seals....Got it home and it leaked! So they got to do it twice! Serves them right for that kind of money! I didn't have any luck sourcing one exactly like it but if I have another failure I'm going to engineer a new one into the mix! Good luck Eric, by the way I'm picking up another tractor this weekend! Snapper 1650, pretty clean unit, pics to come soon!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
  • limebuzz, gtcsreg and ENafziger have said thanks