- - - - -

Pc Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 10:22 AM

Note if this is the wrong section feel free to move it.

I really don't know enough to know what the inpact of the Windows XP cutoff will be.

But got an email from management stating that all the Pc's in the office were running on XP and if they went down the would not be fixed. And that we were to backup all needed files to disc or stick.

I am expcting a bunch of machines to be sold off, with a You provide an Operating System provision and go cheap.

Most of these are Micron Client Pro machines around 7 yrs old. Would they be a good candidate for installation of a Linux system if someone completely unfamiliar with linus (like me) wanted to try it?

#2 bh115577 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9791
  • 432 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 10:30 AM

They say there is a learning curve with Linux Ubuntu but it's supposed to be a decent OS.

If you're going to buy one of the old computers, maybe the one you are using now, right click on my computer and then click properties. The system specs will come up and then make sure the computer can handle whatever OS you are looking at.

• JD DANNELS said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,688 Thanks
  • 28,331 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 10:37 AM

I ran Linux mint at the suggestion of HDWildBill for a while. I liked it a lot, but my printer didnt.
XP will continue to run, there should be no mass panic... I know of a couple of 98SE machines that are still running and how many years ago did that go away?

I am still trying to get mine to finish its last updates, but if I don't, it works OK now. Can't believe I've had that machine for as long as I have.
  • JD DANNELS said thank you

#4 lyall OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,711 Thanks
  • 1,383 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 11:06 AM

they are a lot of LInux OSs out there

first you need to know the type of CPU that is in the computer

single core or dual core cpu

single core cpu will run the i386 - 

dual core cpu will run the i386 and x84_64

the single core cpu is a 32 bit OS

the dual core cpu can run both the 32 bit and 64 bit OS

the 32 bit OS will use memory up to 4 GB of memory

the 64 bit OS will need more than 2GB of memory to run effeiciently

remember the Linux OSs are not a memory hog like windows

no spy ware - etc is need on a LInux OS, so that memory is freed up for the apps you are usng

and the Linux OS does not use as much memory like W&ndows does

I like using Mint Linux LMDE ver. - it is called a rolling release,  which means the you do not have to re-install and add your data back in after the updated ( which is around 6 months to a years) 

there is a learning curve to any Linux OS that you try
there is a lot of info out there to here and the forums for the OS are very helpful
Linux OS came from the UNIX OS - which was made by AT&T long before MS DOS and Windows was around
you can try just about any kind of Linux OS you want - go to http://distrowatch.c...stribution=mint
you can burn the ISO to a CD or DVD and try it before you install it on the hard drive to see if you like it or not
most come with a Browser, Office suite, e-mail, and other apps to get you going 
is is easy to install others apps that you want or need
there are a a lot of different games that you can play
Linux software equivalent to Windows software
see the following link to see them

Yes most of the Unix/Linux software if FREE to download and use

if you really need to use a Windows app - there are several apps that with do that

Yes some people do have problems understanding Unix/Linux OSs

but helps is out there to help

Sorry I can not say anything bad about Unix/Linux OS

I started using Unix/Linus OSs around 25 years ago

• JD DANNELS, KennyP, Trav1s and 2 others have said thanks

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,652 Thanks
  • 8,527 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 01:14 PM

Alan is right, your windows XP is not going to stop working just because it has lost support.  What that means is that you will no longer receive fixes for various problems that may still exist and going forward new hardware will not work on XP because of a lack of drivers. 

I think lyall has pretty much given you everything about Linux.  Like he said download a distro you think you may like and feel comfortable with and try it out.  There are a number of Distro's that try to help the transition from windows to Linux.  The one I have used quite successfully to help folks I know, how know nothing about computers and OS's, has been Zorn because it will mimic the interface of different OS's.

I think most people are scared about burning the ISO image to a DVD but if you can burn pictures or files to a DVD you can burn and ISO image. 

• lyall and KennyP have said thanks