• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 bosbar OFFLINE  

bosbar
  • Member No: 55683
  • 11 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 07:25 AM

New member here. Looked for a search section in case I was asking a redundant question, couldn't find one. So, here goes.

I inherited a Stihl 029 from my late father. I can get it started but, it won't stay running. Seems to be starving for fuel. pulled the pick-up out of the gas tank, looked alright. Can't seem to get the cover off to investigate further. Any tips or suggestions would be helpful.

• hamman and Gabriel have said thanks

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,455 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 07:33 AM

Welcome to GTTalk bosbar . I think there are some Stihl saw owners here so they might be able to help you out

• hamman said thank you

#3 bh115577 OFFLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 08:00 AM

Check the fuel line for cracks. May need to pull the carb to inspect all of it.

• hamman and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,299 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 08:11 AM

Cracked fuel line is the first thing in my head as well. Also, I believe the carb has a diaphragm pump? May have gone bad.
I don't know about your area, but our local independant Stihl dealer is great. I would call them and get any parts you need there.

If you don't know of a close dealer, call Stihl and ask them.
  • hamman and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#5 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 09:36 AM

My 029 had a bad carb on it in the first year after I got it. Had to take it back and put a new carb, under warranty, on it. How long has it been sitting? Take some Seafoam and put i  the tank. Run it and see if that helps. I also had to replace the fuel pickup tube due to small cracks. You can also use Mechanic in a Bottle to help with stubborn rough running engines that have set for a long time. Go do a google search for the Stihl 029 service manual and it will come up. I can't get the link to work.   It should help you out a lot.                                   Good Luck. Welcome to the forum.                                   Roger.

• MH81 said thank you

#6 bh115577 OFFLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 10:06 AM

Manuals can be found here: http://www.worldoftr.../Stihl Manuals/

• MH81 and hamman have said thanks

#7 bosbar OFFLINE  

bosbar
  • Member No: 55683
  • 11 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 10:07 AM

Thanks for the help guys.

• hamman said thank you

#8 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 10:12 AM

I see the 029 quite often. As stated first thing is to check the fuel filter and fuel line to the carburetor for cracks.  Then fi that checks out  try some seafoam. Also try adjusting the low and high speed setting's. But if it comes down to the carburetor then what all of us around here, who work on small engines do, replace the carburetor.  Trying to clean one of those carbs is a real PITA and doesn't necessarily work.

Oh BTW welcome to GTtalk

• MH81 and hamman have said thanks

#9 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 10:59 AM

HDWILDBILL, have you used Mechanic In A Bottle yet? I bought some last week. I put it in a Craftsman snow blower that was running really rough. It hab been sitting for about a year and a half when the PO bought a new one.  I did nothing but put about an ounce in the gas tank let it det for about 5 hours and then go out and it started on the first pull after priming it. It ran smootha nd ran well. I 've had similar experience with Seafoam also. Just wondering if you had used it and wahat was your out come. Thanks.                                                             Roger. 

• HDWildBill said thank you

#10 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,316 Thanks
  • 4,663 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 11:28 AM

:iagree:   Stihls are notorious fuel line crackers!  I usually replace mine every couple years it seems..(I'm sure present day feul has a lot to do with it too)  It would cause the exact symptoms you have..  Dump the tank and replace with fresh fuel and if you introduce a small amount of 2 cycle fuel in the carb bore and it fires & runs but won't stay going, It's either carb or fuel line related.  You can buy them @ your local dealer or there are lots of kits available via EB.  I have seen lots of YT videos on how to replace them too..  Fire back with any questions and also..

:welcome:

• hamman said thank you

#11 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 12:36 PM

HDWILDBILL, have you used Mechanic In A Bottle yet? I bought some last week. I put it in a Craftsman snow blower that was running really rough. It hab been sitting for about a year and a half when the PO bought a new one.  I did nothing but put about an ounce in the gas tank let it det for about 5 hours and then go out and it started on the first pull after priming it. It ran smootha nd ran well. I 've had similar experience with Seafoam also. Just wondering if you had used it and wahat was your out come. Thanks.                                                             Roger. 

No I have not tired Mechanic in a bottle, but your post has perked my interest.  I have stayed with Seafoam because I really haven't found anything that has worked better.  That being said I have had quite a few carb's that Seafoam didn't help and I ended up having to go in clean and rebuild the carb.  I may give it a try. Thanks :thumbs:

• hamman said thank you

#12 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29382
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 02:49 PM

Also, I believe the carb has a diaphragm pump? May have gone bad.

As far as I know, all chainsaws of that age have a diaphragm type carb( a few older ones used floats).

Try adjusting the fuel jets, they may just need opened more. Best way to test that would be to play with the choke first and see if you can get it to stay running with the choke partially closed. 

• MH81 and HDWildBill have said thanks

#13 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 09:21 PM

WELCOME!

#14 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 15, 2014 - 06:51 AM

have you checked the air cleaner element? on my Stihl that can sometime get really dirty and cause issues. Welcome aboard
  • HDWildBill and Gabriel have said thanks

#15 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,461 Thanks
  • 1,607 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 05:26 PM

Remove this screw and pop the cover off of the carb. There is a small screen that sometimes gets plugged with gunk from the fuel. I cleaned mine on my 036 and it ran like new on the factory carb settings. You might as well change out the fuel line and filter while you are at it. Carbs are cheap if you have to replace it. There's nothing worse than a saw that won't run right when you need it.
I just replaced the fuel line and filter on my brothers 029, since the fuel line had some cracks in it. The saw runs like new again. I have a lot of hours on my 036 and I wouldn't use anything else. It's a simple saw to work on and has cut all of my firewood for 10 years so far. I've only had to replace the drive sprocket due to wear, the fuel line and filter, and I put a new bar on it last year since the sprocket in the bar was shot. Good luck!

Attached Thumbnails

• chainsaws_7334499_medium.jpg

• MH81 said thank you