• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • Member No: 47170
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 07:11 AM

An update to start-up of the Ford 1500..... sort of !!. Finally got a little time between spring garden/ yard chores. 

I borrowed the battery from the Shi 14 and after getting new cables hooked up was glad to find out the switch still works.

That was the good....the not so good was it only turn the engine about a 1/2 a turn. After several tries ,I decided I better look closer. While it was trying to turn I noticed something odd about the air cleaner, which had the top vent cover removed to raise the hood. It was FULL of water.....!

I had tried to turn the engine with a ratchet on front crank bolt last week . It had turned easily but I  only turned it just enough to see if it was free....maybe a 1/4 turn. I tried it again and it stopped about 1/2 to 3/4 of turn. Would turn backwards but was gurgling......bad.

After taking the air cleaner off all the way to the intake manifold and it was full of water too. I took the glow plugs out hoping it would drain the water out of the cylinder that was keeping the engine from turning all the way around. All the while I`m thinking busted block. I decide to go ahead and drain the crankcase and it had a bunch of water in it......bad.

After turning it by hand it finally cleared the cylinder and turned freely several rounds to get as much water out  as I could. Good and even better was that the radiator stayed full as I turned the engine.  Maybe not a busted block.

After thinking the water level in the air cleaner was probably higher than the top radiator hose ,I`m thinking (hoping) the  water had got into the engine thru the air cleaner, manifold , open valve....? How ???...who knows. The guys that operated the tractors probably weren`t mechanics so how it got in there is anybody`s guess. The fact that you have to remove the air vent to open the hood and they had robbed the battery cables and battery so it may have set there for a long time with the air cleaner open.

I poured some of the old fuel I drained out of the tank down the oil fill in valve cover and filled the intake manifold and rotated the engine some more to try get as much of the water out thru the crankcase drain. It would shoot fuel/water 20 feet out the holes where I removed the glow plugs when it hit the compression cycle (I`m guessing).

I had to get some gardening done so that`s where I stopped. After turning it quite a few rounds the water in the radiator hasn`t moved at all which I taking as a good sign.

A question I have that some of you all may be able to help me with.....Does the glow plug go into the cylinder or just into the intake manifold above the cylinder????

I couldn`t tell by looking at my parts manual ??

Thanks for any help guys.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 07:15 AM

The glow plug goes into a small pocket just off the face of the head surface, so yes, it leads to the compression area.

#3 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 08:59 AM

thanks cowhand....figure it must be there somewhere.

What do you think about my situation.....think I can most of the water out by pouring fuel thru valve cover and intake ??

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 10:12 AM

Snuffy, I don't have any knowledge on Diesels, but I am glad to hear you don't have a snapped rod or bad block. Good luck.
  • SNUFFY said thank you

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 10:44 AM

I sure hope you don't have any engine damage, but at least it appears your water jacket is intact, and the engine turns.....2 great positives.  As far as the intake/combustion moisture, the best thing for that is simply turning the engine over with glow plugs out until you stop getting moisture.  No need to pour fuel down the intake though.  As to the crankcase, take the drain plug out & let it drain a few days.  Replace with fresh oil, then if you get the engine to run, you will need to do an oil change after engine reaches full operating temps.....do as soon as you shut the engine down.   You may have to change the oil 3 or 4 times to get things cleaned out.  But running for longer times is about the best way to "steam" out the moisture from  block, but you don't want to start out with too much moisture, hence the quick 1st oil change.

Word of warning about putting any combustible fluid in the intake....if engine did fire with any residual stuff in the intake, you would have a runaway engine with no way to shut it off except to block the air intake.  Same thing with the air filter.  Never wash a diesel air filter with any type of fuel/gas.  It might seem dry, but it could run wide open off even tiny amounts left in the element.

• MH81 and SNUFFY have said thanks

#6 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 11:43 AM

THANKS GUYS. ....I`m thinking that I may be lucky and not have any real damage. We`ll see!

Probably be next weekend before I get to do too much to so hopefully most of the fuel and water will air out by then. Probably will spin it some with starter now that the cylinder is clear and glow plugs still out. I don`t think it has a paper type element ... supposedly a oil bath type thing....will have to look closer. Thanks again guys ...all good info.

• MH81 said thank you

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 04:02 PM

THANKS GUYS. ....I`m thinking that I may be lucky and not have any real damage. We`ll see!

Probably be next weekend before I get to do too much to so hopefully most of the fuel and water will air out by then. Probably will spin it some with starter now that the cylinder is clear and glow plugs still out. I don`t think it has a paper type element ... supposedly a oil bath type thing....will have to look closer. Thanks again guys ...all good info.

Your right it should be an oil bath filter!!  In a dusty envoirnment I like them best.

#8 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 11:57 AM

IT LIVES !!!!!!
Well with a little patience the 1500 is running. After adding oil, filter and fuel....it barked a little the first time around. The glow plug and indicator worked and after 30 mins or so of cranking ( and resting) with throttle at different locations and trying to start but not quite, it finally caught and away we went. Lots of ugly smoke and stuff for a minute or two and then it cleaned up and settled into a fast idle. A little more blow by than I wanted to see but it almost cleared out after about an hour of running. May have been leftover water in the block. With no steering wheel and flat tires on the front I was limited to just seeing if it would move in the 2 and 4wd and forward and reverse ...... all good so far. Had the front tires broke down and should be able to clean up the rims enough to hold air. Brakes seem to be ok ,lift works ,pto works.....and with no real smoke out the exhaust and just a little blow by out the valve cover...I`m feeling much better. Started without glow plugs a few hours later.....good!!
The reason I couldn`t figure out the steering wheel for sure was the threaded section for the washer and nut was broken off flush with the end of the splines. Tried to count the number of splines ( around thirty) and 5/8 diameter with a taper to 3/4 at the back I`m still not sure which replacement will fit.
Try to find a steering wheel and some used tires for time being and we should be able to get it out and see how it does next weekend.

#9 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 05:24 PM

WELL I got rims cleaned up and tires mounted up, got my new steering wheel on lo and behold it seems I have a keeper. Rode it up the road to the neighbors half mile away. All the gears worked, didn`t smoke at all, started without glow plugs on the way back. Rear tires haven`t gone down at all after 2 weeks , should be all I need for now. The black gunk on the sheet metal washes of pretty easy.

Next phase is to find some rear fenders, and a front end loader and want to find some proper front tires.   The fenders will last a long time the way they are but it would look better. These have a couple of small rusty spots and a general overall scale of rust. Not worth spending a lot of time on fixing if I can find some good ones. I got the new steering wheel from Roberts Tractor off ebay for 75$ shipped and got it in 2 days.

I think it takes a 25 x 9.5x 14  ag tire. I think the 1300 fenders will also fit the 1500. and the FEL is a 770 ford. Also need a proofmeter. If anybody runs across any of these parts give me a shout . The steering box seems to need some tightening.... a lot of play and the tie rods ands are in good shape. I`m wondering if it can be adjusted at the gearbox.

Thanks for listening to me and the advice I got from everybody.

• olcowhand and boyscout862 have said thanks