4 replies to this topic

#1 B10Dave OFFLINE  

B10Dave

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1808
  • 386 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 08:22 PM

:thumbs:  Went for a little 280 mile round trip today. Picked up a new to me Wards Plow Trac. It came with a 30in. reel mower in very nice shape. This tractor is same as Simplicity FA but has a newer engine. I will be looking for a Briggs 2 1/2HP from the mid fifties to put it back to original. I had previously purchased the ride on roller and ride on dump cart that originally came with this tractor so now the set is back together.....Dave

FA1.jpg    FA2.jpg    FA4.jpg

FA5.jpg    FA3.jpg

• Texas Deere and Horse, IamSherwood, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 08:40 PM

This fellow may have one sitting in his shed.  I am coming to Alymer this Wednesday, if you can work a deal.  

http://www.kijiji.ca...gationFlag=true

I have been to his place.  He has a small engine hoard.

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, April 13, 2014 - 08:44 PM.

• B10Dave said thank you

#3 B10Dave OFFLINE  

B10Dave

• Contributor
  • 386 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 08:56 PM

Thanks for the info and transport offer but it will be awhile before funding permits me to deal on an engine...Dave

#4 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,592 Thanks
  • 3,905 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 09:11 PM

VERY GOOD CATCH!!

Although the Simplicity FA did use a 2.5 horse Briggs I believe you are mistaken in your cross reference from the Wards Plow-Trac. 

The "VB" could be the Simplicity equivalent to the Plow Trac.

I'm thinking you need a 7 horse Briggs "Model 19" to get the correct engine for your tractor.  Your tractor is the flagship of the walk behind models having the two speed axle for 6 forward and two reverse speeds. 

I have a Plow Trac with the Model 19 Briggs - there is a picture in the registry.

The last model featured on this page is the Simplicity version of what I'm thinking you have. 

http://www.simplicit...icity/1957.html

Now that I looked again I believe you might have the equivalent to the Simplicity "FC" that is second on that page.  The FC had a Clinton 4 horsepower A-1200. No idea what the Wards version had for power.

?????  Very well could have been a 4 horse Briggs.

The  FC  tranny looks slightly smaller and more closely resembles yours is why I think that may be the case.  Hard to tell on from the pictures.

I thought only the 7 horse models had the hi/low axle until I looked more closely at that page. 

Anyhow,  VERY COOL machine and best of luck finding the correct engine!

Edited by Gtractor, April 14, 2014 - 06:31 AM.

• B10Dave said thank you

#5 B10Dave OFFLINE  

B10Dave

• Contributor
  • 386 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted April 16, 2014 - 10:10 PM

Kris; I think you are correct in comparing it to the Sim. FC. I looked in my " store room " and I have a 4hp Briggs that needs a little attention so that will be going on this tractor. If you look close you can tell the FC trans because the shift lever is longer than on a V series. I see the 2 speed was only on the FC so the MW must be the same unit although I believe it came without the engine hood. Anyways it will get the Briggs 4HP and I will be happy with the "Look".....Dave
  • Gtractor said thank you