133 replies to this topic

#121 iZach98 OFFLINE  

iZach98
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 55667
  • 157 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted May 21, 2014 - 10:40 AM

It might work for removing a few inches of snow.

Yeah, but for $200 i could build a wood one for way less than that, like out of 2x4's or something. But im not to sure how a tow behind would work? Do you have any experience with this style plow? If so how does it work in snow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Gabriel said thank you

#122 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 09:26 AM

Yeah, but for $200 i could build a wood one for way less than that, like out of 2x4's or something. But im not to sure how a tow behind would work? Do you have any experience with this style plow? If so how does it work in snow?

I use a rear mount blade to move snow, but it's mounted on a tractor. It does a good job. I think you ought to do a little searching and see if you could find a front mount blade that would fit your WH. You could post a "wanted" add here on the forum for starters. Just a suggestion.

Attached Thumbnails

• 101_0346.JPG

Edited by Gabriel, May 22, 2014 - 09:29 AM.

• iZach98 said thank you

#123 iZach98 OFFLINE  

iZach98
  • GTt Junior
  • 157 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 09:41 AM

Nice tractor u got there :), i might build a front mount blade out of wood and then add some metal to the front to create the blade like curved and such, maybe even a V style plow. Ive got plenty of time till winter so i can think through it. I'll probably need tire chains to, are they expensive or should i make them myself?

Edited by iZach98, May 22, 2014 - 09:41 AM.

• Gabriel said thank you

#124 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 09:20 PM

Nice tractor u got there :), i might build a front mount blade out of wood and then add some metal to the front to create the blade like curved and such, maybe even a V style plow. Ive got plenty of time till winter so i can think through it. I'll probably need tire chains to, are they expensive or should i make them myself?

Thanks! As for making your own tire chains, I'm not sure how easy that would be. If you think you can do it for less than a set of store bought tire chains, and have them work as they should, I wouldn't discourage you from doing it.;) If you can give me the size of your rear tires (it should say on the side of the tire), I can look and see how much a set would cost.

#125 iZach98 OFFLINE  

iZach98
  • GTt Junior
  • 157 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 07:01 AM

Sure i'll check the tire size when i get home from school. Also i got a video of me driving the WH and a friend on some trails, it should be on this link... https://www.icloud.c...#A1J0DiRHGQeZQP
I know its not to long of a video but its something... Let me know if the links work :)

• Gabriel said thank you

#126 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 10:01 PM

Sure i'll check the tire size when i get home from school. Also i got a video of me driving the WH and a friend on some trails, it should be on this link... https://www.icloud.c...#A1J0DiRHGQeZQP
I know its not to long of a video but its something... Let me know if the links work :)

The link works! Thanks for the video!
  • iZach98 said thank you

#127 iZach98 OFFLINE  

iZach98
  • GTt Junior
  • 157 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 06:14 PM

So i got the tire size... Its 18x9.50-8
I was thinking of doing a pulley swap on my wheel horse. It needs a new belt anyways so i figured might as well change the pulleys a little. What would be easier... Changing the pulley on the motor or on the trans axle? And how would i determine the size of belt to get since the pulleys would be different than stock.

• Gabriel said thank you

#128 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 08:59 PM

So i got the tire size... Its 18x9.50-8
I was thinking of doing a pulley swap on my wheel horse. It needs a new belt anyways so i figured might as well change the pulleys a little. What would be easier... Changing the pulley on the motor or on the trans axle? And how would i determine the size of belt to get since the pulleys would be different than stock.

Here's a link for the chains: http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B005ZWCN6M

Why do you want to change the pulleys?

• iZach98 said thank you

#129 iZach98 OFFLINE  

iZach98
  • GTt Junior
  • 157 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted May 26, 2014 - 10:04 PM

Here's a link for the chains: http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B005ZWCN6M

Why do you want to change the pulleys?

Thanks, I'm just looking to get a little more speed out of this tractor. I know tractors aren't built for speed but i was just thinking of doing a pulley swap. Nothing huge just a little bit faster. Im not sure yet, maybe i'll leave it...

• Gabriel said thank you

#130 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 02:02 PM

Thanks, I'm just looking to get a little more speed out of this tractor. I know tractors aren't built for speed but i was just thinking of doing a pulley swap. Nothing huge just a little bit faster. Im not sure yet, maybe i'll leave it...

I think I would leave it as it is. If you are pulling heavy loads, I don't think I would try changing it from how the engineers designed it to be. Just my thoughts.

• iZach98 said thank you

#131 iZach98 OFFLINE  

iZach98
  • GTt Junior
  • 157 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 01:26 PM

I think I would leave it as it is. If you are pulling heavy loads, I don't think I would try changing it from how the engineers designed it to be. Just my thoughts.

Yeah, i'll probably just end up leaving it as is and just replacing the belt. Also what do the different colors mean? Like the blue belt or the black belt, I've also seen a red belt. Not sure if it has to do with strength? Or what?
Also i spoke to my friend david and he said he has a couple of garden carts. Like the trailers for garden and lawn tractors. He said he can sell me one for about $100 or so. Is this a good price for a cart? Im guessing they would have a little rust but probably in decent shape.

• Gabriel said thank you

#132 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 09:14 PM

Yeah, i'll probably just end up leaving it as is and just replacing the belt. Also what do the different colors mean? Like the blue belt or the black belt, I've also seen a red belt. Not sure if it has to do with strength? Or what?
Also i spoke to my friend david and he said he has a couple of garden carts. Like the trailers for garden and lawn tractors. He said he can sell me one for about $100 or so. Is this a good price for a cart? Im guessing they would have a little rust but probably in decent shape.

I'm not real sure about the belts. I think $100 for a used cart is a little to high. I just looked at what Tractor Supply Co. offers, and for one that's probably comparable to what your looking at, they wanted $129.

#133 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 09:15 PM

Does anyone else have any experience with the different types of belts (blue, black, red, etc.)?

#134 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 08:30 PM

Hi all! Im new to these forums and first of all, I'm 15 years old and my name is Zach. Ive always liked tractors since i was a little kid. I recently moved to an area with more land (i had 1/3 of an acre) now i have 1 whole acre! lol, but there is also 52 acres of woods behind my house (i don't own but i go in there to explore) and then there is also a 20 acre grass felid across the street from me. So I've got a pretty nice spot where i live now :) but anyways i just got a Scotts (john deere mower) for free! A few days ago so i got my buddy david to help me get it running (had to rewire it) so thats running but it knocks (briggs 17hp OHV) so i know it don't have much time to live but its ok.
So my buddy david, a great welder. And he knows tractors and engines pretty good. So he wants to sell me an old wheel horse garden tractor. Its a 38" deck with a Briggs 8HP engine. Its a small tractor. So it has new tires on it (not sure about rims but they look good) so he said for $200 he will have it up running and driving for me. He also said he paid $200 for the tractor the way it sits. I only took a quick look at it. So who here thinks this is a good deal for a off-road mower/utility tractor?
I would probably take this through the woods and make some trails through it. What are your thoughts on this tractor? I will get pics soon...
And if i get this and make it an off-road mower, what pulleys would be good? For trails and off-road use? Would i have to change the belt also?

Here is a pic of my deere (scotts name on it) attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1397437113.011050.jpg

So today i threw a battery in from my deere (as its not running at the moment, but u will get into more detail soon...) fired right up! :) Runs and drives great! Its actually as fast as my Troy-Bilt that has a 7 speed tranny (really a series of pulleys) so i was driving that around my yard after school, pretty much all afternoon lol. It a lot of fun, with me and my little bros just driving tractors around the yard. Here's a pic attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1398210198.403226.jpg the tape is because, the seat is filled with foam and it is soaked with water. I didn't want to get my pants soaking wet so i put a rag and taped it to the seat lol... It works (kinda) for now. Maybe i can buy a new seat cause this one is pretty beat up. Unless i can get it repaired or something. So what do ya think?

Ok so the deere... My little bro was driving it and it ran out of gas. So u put some more gas in (about 1/3 full) so i tried to fire it back up... Hmmmm, wont start... It will turn over and over and over etc. so the problem is the engine is not getting any fuel. It has the gas tank under the seat with a mechanical fuel pump up at the motor. I don't know if these fuel pumps are repairable? Or just disposable? Not to sure how to take it apart, if i even can take the little pump apart. Maybe i can find one on ebay? Please help! My little bros wanna drive it around and i would like to get it back up and running soon.

Also the wheelhorse... The lights dont work, and the brake pedel dosent work. I havent really taken a good look at the brake yet. But would it be ok to tip the tractor on its side (like up against a tree or something) to look underneath or work on it? Will oil get into places it shouldn't? I just want to check here before i do this...

Hello Zach,
Done anything recently to, or with, your Scotts or Wheel Horse?