133 replies to this topic

#1 iZach98 OFFLINE  

iZach98
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 55667
  • 157 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 07:58 PM

Hi all! Im new to these forums and first of all, I'm 15 years old and my name is Zach. Ive always liked tractors since i was a little kid. I recently moved to an area with more land (i had 1/3 of an acre) now i have 1 whole acre! lol, but there is also 52 acres of woods behind my house (i don't own but i go in there to explore) and then there is also a 20 acre grass felid across the street from me. So I've got a pretty nice spot where i live now :) but anyways i just got a Scotts (john deere mower) for free! A few days ago so i got my buddy david to help me get it running (had to rewire it) so thats running but it knocks (briggs 17hp OHV) so i know it don't have much time to live but its ok.
So my buddy david, a great welder. And he knows tractors and engines pretty good. So he wants to sell me an old wheel horse garden tractor. Its a 38" deck with a Briggs 8HP engine. Its a small tractor. So it has new tires on it (not sure about rims but they look good) so he said for $200 he will have it up running and driving for me. He also said he paid $200 for the tractor the way it sits. I only took a quick look at it. So who here thinks this is a good deal for a off-road mower/utility tractor?
I would probably take this through the woods and make some trails through it. What are your thoughts on this tractor? I will get pics soon...
And if i get this and make it an off-road mower, what pulleys would be good? For trails and off-road use? Would i have to change the belt also?

Here is a pic of my deere (scotts name on it) ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397437113.011050.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Texas Deere and Horse, hamman, MYMF10 and 7 others have said thanks

#2 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 08:07 PM

Hello there and welcome :thumbs:

• Gabriel and iZach98 have said thanks

#3 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 08:11 PM

Welcome to GTtalk.  Without pic's it's hard to tell if you are getting a good deal or not.  Post some pic's when you have time.  I had a
Scott's a while back.  Pulled the engine and sold it for parts.

#4 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 08:11 PM

:welcometogttalk:

#5 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 08:26 PM

WELCOME!
  • iZach98 said thank you

#6 iZach98 OFFLINE  

iZach98
  • GTt Junior
  • 157 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 08:30 PM

Thanks all!
Maybe this link will work for pics... https://www.icloud.c...#A1J0DiRHGQeZQP
Its an iCloud photo stream that i started and i just shared the link. Let me know it it works! :)

• Texas Deere and Horse, MYMF10 and Gabriel have said thanks

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 08:42 PM

Welcome to GTtalk. Your link works fine, but I didn't see any photos of the Wheel Horse you are talking about.

• tractorgarden, Gabriel and iZach98 have said thanks

#8 iZach98 OFFLINE  

iZach98
  • GTt Junior
  • 157 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 08:44 PM

Oh, yeah. I didn't get any pics of the wheel horse yet. I will see if my friend david(the guy who is gonna sell it to me) can take some pics for me so i can post them...

• Gabriel said thank you

#9 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 08:49 PM

A wheel horse if it all together and running for $200 is a good deal where I am.   Welcome to gt talk you will love it here, these are a great bunch of folks.

• MYMF10, Gabriel and iZach98 have said thanks

#10 GTpicker01 OFFLINE  

GTpicker01

GT Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 42575
  • 579 Thanks
  • 518 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 08:52 PM

Welcome! A wheel horse is always a welcome addition to a good GT collection.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

#11 iZach98 OFFLINE  

iZach98
  • GTt Junior
  • 157 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 09:00 PM

Thanks :) i found some pics of a wheel horse that looks similar the one i may get https://www.icloud.c...#A1J0DiRHGQeZQP
Its an older one.
Also I'm hoping to get into welding (getting a starter machine from home depot for my birthday) so i would be able to repair any rust or make a new cool exhaust! Lol tractors sure are fun!

• Gabriel said thank you

#12 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,699 Thanks
  • 8,892 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 09:02 PM

Welcome to the forum, Zach. As far as the WH for a UTV goes, it won't hold up to that kind of abuse. If you want to go flying through the woods, buy an atv.

While I personally feel the Briggs Intec engine in your JD built LT is a throwaway engine, that tractor is not. For an LT, the light green Sabre and orange Scotts branded units were well built. You would be well served to take a close inventory of the condition of that tractor, and ask questions here on things you notice that are wrong with it. It is certainly well suited to care for a one acre yard, if you also got a mowing deck with it.

Also, since you are new to your location, you would be better served to find out who owns the woods behind your place, and seek permission to be out there. Walking out there is one thing. Taking a mower out there and cutting trails is an entirely different matter. Different matter as in trespass vs. destruction to private property and criminal trespass.

• olcowhand, tractorgarden, MYMF10 and 5 others have said thanks

#13 iZach98 OFFLINE  

iZach98
  • GTt Junior
  • 157 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 09:24 PM

@Cat385B i would buy an ATV but my parents dont really like them and i dont have that kind of money.
What does "LT" stand for?
I did get a mower deck with the JD but it was rusty and i just threw it away cause i already have a Troy Bilt mower 42" for lawn care.
As for the woods, ive met the people and so have my parents, i usually go back there with a wagon and a chainsaw to get fire wood. I only cut up trees that are already down. They don't mind. I do own a small part of the woods as part of the one acre that i own.

Also the JD i will just let my little bros use to drive around the yard.
The Wheel horse i will use as a Utility Tractor for around the yard and getting fire wood from the woods.

Edited by iZach98, April 13, 2014 - 09:26 PM.

• Gabriel said thank you

#14 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,699 Thanks
  • 8,892 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 09:35 PM

I'm glad to hear permission was sought out first, good thinking.

LT stands for lawn tractor. GT stands for garden tractor. The difference between the two is how heavy they are built. The main difference between the two is that a gt is rated to use ground-engaging attachments such as tillers, plows, discs, and the like. An LT is not. The transmission on a garden tractor is heavier, and the frame is also heavier to withstand more weight and more strain on it. A quick indicator of which one (GT or LT) a tractor is, is the rear wheels. If they are bolted on like a car rim, then it's a GT. If it's a hub over a spindle, you have an LT.

• MYMF10, Gabriel and iZach98 have said thanks

#15 iZach98 OFFLINE  

iZach98
  • GTt Junior
  • 157 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 09:42 PM

Ok, thanks!
So im guessing the WH is a LT and not a GT?
Ive ripped out a few bushes/small trees around the property with my troy bilt. It took some time but still working great!

• Gabriel said thank you