8 replies to this topic

#1 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 05:56 PM

I currently have what is left of a Bolens 1250 that I used for parts. Basically it's just a frame, transaxle and sheet metal. I've tried selling it cheap but had no luck and I can bring my self to scrap it. I also have a Briggs opposed twin engine sitting around that I'm thinking about putting in the tractor. Here is where I need some help. Has anyone ever done a repower like this and if so what is involved? I know I will need to make a mounting plate for the engine and the wiring will be different. I'm not sure if I'll need to notch the frame though. I added a picture of the tractor I'm thinking about using for this project. Any and all input is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00141.JPG

Edited by farmerall, April 13, 2014 - 06:41 PM.

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,761 Thanks
  • 7,528 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 04:53 AM

It should end up as a good machine again. Which Briggs? Look at an HT for how it will fit the frame. Good Luck, Rick

• farmerall said thank you

#3 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 03:53 PM

The engine is an 18hp twin that came out of a Craftsman GT6000 tractor.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,189 Thanks
  • 5,212 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 05:13 PM

Search repower you should come up with some threads with good tips and ideas.   If I would of know it was for sale I would of grabed it when I was down by you.

• farmerall said thank you

#5 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 05:16 PM

Search repower you should come up with some threads with good tips and ideas.   If I would of know it was for sale I would of grabed it when I was down by you.

I had it for sale for a long time on here, and to be honest there isn't much left worth restoring the tractor, just enough that I maybe able to make it drivable. If you would have stopped here you probably would have left with a nice 853 too lol.

#6 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,189 Thanks
  • 5,212 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 05:27 PM

I had it for sale for a long time on here, and to be honest there isn't much left worth restoring the tractor, just enough that I maybe able to make it drivable. If you would have stopped here you probably would have left with a nice 853 too lol.

The truck was aready full with a 1962 Ride A matic I would of had to pull the trailer. 

#7 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 07:07 PM

Opposed twin briggs are basically the same shape and size as a Kohler or an Onan twins.I would say yes you will have to notch the frame.Notch it Like the 1886 HT18 HT20 and HT23.

Tricky thing will be trying to adapt the driveshaft to the flywheel.Other than having to notch the frame and come up with an adapter it should bolt right up in the frame.

Sawzall and a grinder are your friends lol.Hey it's better to make something usefull out of it then to scrap it.Maybe make a hitch for it and use it for plowing or just to tow stuff around with.

• farmerall and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted April 16, 2014 - 03:28 PM

Tricky thing will be trying to adapt the driveshaft to the flywheel.Other than having to notch the frame and come up with an adapter it should bolt right up in the frame.

Maybe make a hitch for it and use it for plowing or just to tow stuff around with.

I won't need to worry about the crank adapter because I have no plans of ever using the pto on this tractor again. I'm hoping that the driveshaft and crankshaft are the same size though.

This will probably just be used to pull stuff around but I'm also going to use it as a mudder and something to just play around on.

#9 Bud W OFFLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 228 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 08:37 AM

My friend put one of those in his 1476 with FEL. He had to modify the pan for driveshaft clearance. This machine works great!

DSCF3763
Album: Bud's Bolens
1 images
0 comments