13 replies to this topic

#1 willy1094 OFFLINE  

willy1094
  • Member No: 15926
  • 38 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 10:13 AM

Hello all,

I have come out of hybernation and started working on my Jim Dandy again.  I got it running last night and now I need to work on the stopping.  I had to drill out one of the pin that holds the little block to the shaft that goes into bull gear housing.  I used a caliper and it read .216 nominal so I've been looking for 7/32 grooved pins but cannot find any.  Anyone have any leads on these?  I have found a manufactor's (driv-lok) website but they do not sell direct and the supplier do not seem to carry this side in stock.  This is pretty much the only thing that is really holding me back right now.  My other option would be to ream it to 1/4" and use a bolt.  I can add pictures if it help.  Thanks for any info!

#2 willy1094 OFFLINE  

willy1094
  • 38 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 10:15 AM

These are the round grooved dowel pins, thanks.

#3 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 10:31 AM

Check these people out.........

http://www.mcmaster....el-pins/=ripy3i

#4 willy1094 OFFLINE  

willy1094
  • 38 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 12:10 PM

Thanks for the link...they jump right over the size it need though.  They go from .1875 (3/16) to .25 (1/4) nominal.  :wallbanging:

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,659 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 12:23 PM

This is on the L-shaped brake rods thru the case??  Just use standard split pin!  Most pins on brake and other cross shafts are those taper split ones and are a PIA to remove, sometimes needing to be cut out or at least heated. They never go back in on any of my tractors. I have had to bore and use 1/4" bolts in the pedal cross shafts and they hold too. If you are on the brake rods, wouldn't think a bolt would be good there. My ACE hardware has some of those grooved pins straight and tapered, not sure on sizes. Look in those little cardboard drawer "special" hardware areas. Mine is full of them in bolt aisle. My vote is just for the split pins, or roll pin maybe they are called. You can get them back out later if needed and they will hold up.  Besides, most PK's have lousy brakes anyway! Ha!

#6 willy1094 OFFLINE  

willy1094
  • 38 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 12:36 PM

Here is a picture of what I am talking about.  I would be worried that a rollpin would shear under pressure or over time.  What do you mean when you say a bolt wouldn't be good there (grade 8)?  I will check with grainger and fastenal.  I guess the 7/32" has been phased out.

IMG_0729.jpg

#7 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,640 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 03:22 PM

Here is a picture of what I am talking about.  I would be worried that a rollpin would shear under pressure or over time.  What do you mean when you say a bolt wouldn't be good there (grade 8)?  I will check with grainger and fastenal.  I guess the 7/32" has been phased out.

IMG_0729.jpg

Fastenal has then in 7/32 but I think you have to buy a package which is $121 for 100 of them

Could not find that size at Grainger

I will keep looking ----------Bill

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,659 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 05:38 PM

I have just the slotted pins in mine and always have used them. Maybe I never keep stuff long enough to know how long they last??  Lots of Wheelhorse tractors have a slotted pin used then another one smaller inside of that. They are also easier to remove, can take out center one easier and rest comes out later or sometimes with center one when halfway out. Think your wasting time looking for that exact pin.  I was thinking bolt heads and nuts and remaining bolt sticking out would just be grabbing/catching on things near the install. Maybe the Head of bolt would be too big to go between the metals on each side?  Look dorky too IF someone actually bent their neck that much to look close, ha!

#9 willy1094 OFFLINE  

willy1094
  • 38 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 09:42 AM

Fastenal has then in 7/32 but I think you have to buy a package which is $121 for 100 of them

Could not find that size at Grainger

I will keep looking ----------Bill

I called Fastenal and they said they could sell me 50 at $54 :ah_shoot: I figured I would have to by 10 or 20 but $54 to use 1 is a little crazy.  Grainger said they could order it but it would have to be through someone that has a business account with them.

Lots of Wheelhorse tractors have a slotted pin used then another one smaller inside of that.

That might be an idea.  I just worry about sheer strength. :biting_nails:

#10 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,659 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 02:33 PM

Well, most PK brakes have springs in rod one end, so even if you try to overpush, the spring gives some and don't break stuff.

Besides PK brakes are not always the best stoppers even when adjusted right. I don't think you should have beakage. The little yokes for adjust down by pedals, or are they in back??  are prone to break before much else happens, seen that alot on one's I've bought.

#11 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 04:11 PM

I have some.

#12 willy1094 OFFLINE  

willy1094
  • 38 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted April 16, 2014 - 04:58 PM

I have some.

You have 7/32" x 1" solid grooved pins?!?!  I'll buy a few off of you if you'll sell them.  I have it worked out for now.  I forgot that I had a 1 1/2" pin that held the rod the brake pedals attach to.  I just pulled it out and put in on my brake and bout a 3/16" implement pin to hold the pedal rod.  It sticks out like crazy so I'd rather have the right ones.

#13 willy1094 OFFLINE  

willy1094
  • 38 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted April 16, 2014 - 05:02 PM

Well, most PK brakes have springs in rod one end, so even if you try to overpush, the spring gives some and don't break stuff.

Besides PK brakes are not always the best stoppers even when adjusted right. I don't think you should have beakage. The little yokes for adjust down by pedals, or are they in back??  are prone to break before much else happens, seen that alot on one's I've bought.

They only springs I have on mine are return springs.  Their only use is to release the brakes when you take your foot off.  My linkage is pretty solid and it would take a faulty piece for anything to break even with my entire body weight.  I can hold my tractor on a hill with my brakes, which is good because it's a steep one.

#14 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 09:36 AM

You have 7/32" x 1" solid grooved pins?!?!  I'll buy a few off of you if you'll sell them.  I have it worked out for now.  I forgot that I had a 1 1/2" pin that held the rod the brake pedals attach to.  I just pulled it out and put in on my brake and bout a 3/16" implement pin to hold the pedal rod.  It sticks out like crazy so I'd rather have the right ones.

I have 1" and 1 1/4".

• willy1094 said thank you