Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Value On A Bolens 1700 Hydro With A Blown Motor.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 04:03 PM

Yes, they are very good tractors

Still too new to be collectable though so they are mainly used as workers. Still alot of guys fixing them up for their main mowers.

The early Kohlers used in them are known to blow rods though......

Would those be KT17 series 1?

• hamman said thank you

#17 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 04:14 PM

Would those be KT17 series 1?

Yeah

• wilberj and hamman have said thanks

#18 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,351 Thanks
  • 1,761 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 08:07 PM

The way I read his first post,sounds like he has seen the tractor,he said tractor ,deck blower were nice,have to agree with OB,if you had to buy all the stuff separate you would pay that or more for them,the 1700 was a nice tractor,price sounds decent to me if I was looking to buy for myself,

• hamman said thank you

#19 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,582 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 11:57 AM

The way I read his first post,sounds like he has seen the tractor,he said tractor ,deck blower were nice,have to agree with OB,if you had to buy all the stuff separate you would pay that or more for them,the 1700 was a nice tractor,price sounds decent to me if I was looking to buy for myself,

I guess a little more info is warranted and MY BAD for not adding a little more to the original post. The wheel weights are Bolens cast weights. The snowblower and deck, and tractor are in a closed garage and has been since about 2008. I worked with this guy until the company we worked for abruptly closed in 2009. When it reopend by another company in the same line of business I wasn't rehired due to being " to close to retirement" (their words). I have stayed close to the guys there and we talk once in a while. I remember when he came into work the day after he blew the motor. He said he was blosing snow and it started running rough. He heard a big bang and the engine ran rough. He continued blowing sanow util he saw a buch of oil in the snow. He drove the tractor to the garage and parked it. That night I went over to look at it and theat's when we say the hole in one of the cylinders. The lift works well and the trans is good. All tires are flat. I just thought that this particular model wasn't as desireable as the others. I have, obviously, seen this recently and it still looks good. I would like to have it but don't need another project. If I could buy it right so I could justify putting another $300 into it for a shortblock or good used engine I would, even to do a flip on it. I do't think I would be able to make my money back on it if I did.        Thanks for the ifo guys.     Sorry if I didn't give enough details.                        Roger.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#20 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 06:05 PM

repower with a vangaurd, i've bought them out of the scrapyard and the one is still in use 3 years later and nothing done to it but a valve adjustment to give it back its compression and she goes. it's only a 14hp but for twentyfive bucks i wasn't gonna complain