#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 11:59 PM

Plan to go Wed to get my Eagle Speedex. Bought it in December and just now getting it. Supposed to be cool 51 degrees and partly cloudy, so hope it goes well. Wife won't take off work to go with this time.  Going clear across state to NE corner, almost to PA. Gonna be a long drive there and back. I'll try to take pix if fella shows me his other Speedex's too.

• MH81, hamman, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,276 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 06:19 AM

Gee grumpy, you're only about an hour from me then.
Let me know, I'll put some coffee on for you. :D

Safe travels, take breaks when you need them.

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,433 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 06:25 AM

Have a safe trip!

#4 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 08:19 AM

Have a good trip G & looking forward to pics.

#5 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 07:27 PM

Have a good trip

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted April 17, 2014 - 11:21 AM

Made trip, took all day, got home last night at 10!  Got some lost twice and slow/long wait for dinner in restaurant!  Have a few pix of Mike's stuff, kinda dark and packed into garages, and is only on my cheap cell phone. Not the big White one is a Falcon. I want that real bad. All metal body, not the plastic like small one I bought. One just like I bought under junk in one pix, forgot to take one of mine before loading. Will show later.  Engine was stuck, he was unaware. Steering is stuck/rusty needs lube or something there. Starter needs drive gear he thinks.  There are some neat Bigger tractors here, some never heard of before. A few have twins in them. Think one was Onan and one was V-twin Vanguard. He also has one hydro with just an Eaton drive unit, turned sideways and mounted same place as where they usually have the T-92 3spds on most of bigger tractors. Now THAT was of interest. I might look into that for one of mine!  Problem is finding the Eaton unit with just 3/4" shafts sticking out each end, and not made to mount on trans-axles like most have. There is little bottle on top for fluid resivoir  and small cooler to front of tractor and that is it!  Looks much like the drives in older Skid Steers maybe??  He has lots of decks and few discs and other items outside. One with a loader, but kinda covered up. He has the older Tiller steers that have Model A Ford engines in them, didn't get real good look tho, packed in tight.  A few outside for sale in group, including an AMF 8hp unit.

Attached Thumbnails

• Hamper's Speedex collection 2014-04-16 019.jpg
  • Hamper's Speedex collection 2014-04-16 018.jpg
  • Hamper's Speedex collection 2014-04-16 017.jpg
  • Hamper's Speedex collection 2014-04-16 016.jpg
  • Hamper's Speedex collection 2014-04-16 014.jpg
  • Hamper's Speedex collection 2014-04-16 013.jpg
  • Hamper's Speedex collection 2014-04-16 012.jpg
  • Hamper's Speedex collection 2014-04-16 011.jpg
  • Hamper's Speedex collection 2014-04-16 010.jpg
  • Hamper's Speedex collection 2014-04-16 009.jpg
  • Hamper's Speedex collection 2014-04-16 008.jpg
  • Hamper's Speedex collection 2014-04-16 007.jpg

• MH81, KennyP, bgkid2966 and 2 others have said thanks

#7 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,539 Thanks
  • 3,926 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 06:40 AM

That is quite the collection that fella has.

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,276 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 06:47 AM

I'm afraid I will have to avoid driving past that place. It looks like I would rubberneck until I hurt myself or drove into the ditch.

Congrats on your purchases, looking forward to seeing the pictures when you can.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#9 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,433 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 07:02 AM

Lots of goodies there, for sure, GL! Glad you made it home safely!

#10 bgkid2966 ONLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 07:17 AM

Appears to be a good collection. I am glad you made it home safe. Now about the pics of your purchase!! :wewantpics:  :wewantpics:

Geno

#11 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 09:36 PM

Worked on Eagle today. Removed the steering link and front axle moves fine. Took off wheels and had new shoes put on and new bearings on one side that seemed to have wrong size bushings in them or ?? St. wheel still don't turn, seems to be in the tube with shaft inside. Gears below look loose and good. Was a zerk about halfway down that I put grease into  and water squeezed back out as grease went in, so probly plenty rusty. I got steering wheel off easy (surprised me) and have penetrant and oils seeping down that way too. Think is gonna be tough one to crack loose and take awhile.

Engine is NOT stuck. The starter gear is toast and was jambed up into flywheel. Then with it off the engine went part way around and stopped. Was hoping not valves stuck. Finally found the mower deck drive belt was rust/stuck to main pulley and was holding it, sheesh!  Belt off and turns fine. Starter motor works off the tractor, just need the gear, I hope that is all anyway. Old battery in it, runs a trailer light I tested with. Did make the starter hum before I took off. Headlights don't seem to work yet tho. Hoping to be able to charge up that battery, it didn't look to old. Have to drop the deck, the spindles seem to be stuck on that, so will need some attention. Hoping just a lube will work. Not sure tho if even has any zerks or have to tear-down??? It's a newer deck, not like the old Speedex had, but a modern stamping. Here's some pix. Keep in mind this is just a Lawn tractor, lighter and it shows.  The model I realy want is all metal and bigger. Have a pix of one in a barn and not too nice. I'll put with these.

Those are new Carlisle fronts and is turf-trac ll a new model. Tread is diff than old Turf. Not sure I like them as well in looks. Also not liking the decal stripes on this. Think I will just be putting the names and eagle emblem on it and leave the stripes off, damb not being original. They don't trip my Joy trigger.

Attached Thumbnails

• Hamper's Speedex collection 2014-04-16 013.jpg
  • Eagle Tear down 2014 2014-04-18 001.jpg
  • Eagle Tear down 2014 2014-04-18 002.jpg
  • Eagle Tear down 2014 2014-04-18 003.jpg
  • Eagle Tear down 2014 2014-04-18 004.jpg
  • Eagle Tear down 2014 2014-04-18 005.jpg
  • Eagle Tear down 2014 2014-04-18 006.jpg

Edited by glgrumpy, April 18, 2014 - 09:41 PM.

• MH81, Sawdust and superspeedex have said thanks

#12 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 10:09 PM

Serial on Eagle is 7649 if that can be figured out by anyone?? Thinking is an 88 model year. Same as my  brochure.

Engine #'s are

Model 281707   12hp vertical shaft

Type 0187-01

Code 88041811   Thinking 88 is the year, engine code has year first? 

Gonna have to get my books out and see what numbers might mean and see if I have manual for starter parts.

#13 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,433 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 05:49 AM

Not a bad looking LT! Hope you get the steering working!

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,276 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 06:17 AM

Nice looking Eagle.
One way to get a little more oil seeping in there if its running slow is to cut the corner off a ziplock and tape it securely around the outer tube. Then fill the bag with ATF, Kerosene, etc.
you will want to suspend the bag with string or something so it's better situated, but it does seem to help.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#15 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 09:27 PM

Been working hard on Eagle. MH81, I tried that bag trick and even tho it didn't change, was kinda neat idea. I now have starter drive fixed and starts easy with new battery, oil change, new gas. Even the Hydro works back/forth, still can't steer to drive. I took off the deck and got it loosened, mostly belts rusted to pulleys. The spindles kinda rough. Oiled up both sides, didn't see any grease fittings anywhere. I DID take off blades and mounts and could see bottom bearing, so oiled and soaked them awhile. Now two outers are pretty smooth, but center is kinda  noisy, but just might be the hardware on top scraping around on itself. Think it will work when remounted. Lubed up and greased stuff on it. Might need work on the engagement for it yet, we'll see. I finally got the steer shaft to drive down a tad and could turn below with pipe wrench. Got it  to turn, but was hard. More oil, more turn. Finally just drove it down more, had to grind mushrooming couple times, but got it all the way down to inside the outer tube. I then took various rods and things and just kept driving and turning. Never once turned easier. Should have seen how far I had to jack up tractor to clear ground before it fell out. That shaft was mostly dry thru center even with all I oiled it!  I cleaned it up and brushed surface and such. Looks straight. I oiled it up and put down tube from top and seems to go good, a little sticky at last six inches, but not bad. Would like to ream/clean out the outer tube, but no idea how?? I did ream some with inner shaft and oil, wiping off as I went, but would like to do better. Ideas?  Wonder if some kind of pipe drain rooter with brush end can be gotten w/out buying several feet? Put in drill and spin up/down, might work. Not sure they have those engine cleaning brushes that big. This is 3/4" hole in tube.  I have also messed up the hole for the grease zerk and it won't hold now, even new one won't. They make oversize of those? Not very thick tube to do much with either. When I got engine running, smoked like a fogger, scary! But more it runs, less smoke and now no real noticeable smoke, so happy on that. Hydro works back/forth, but can't drive till steering is back in. Pulled the stripes off fenders and that Eagle decal on back. They aren't going back on for sure. Might get the Eagle name for back, no stripe, and hood sides no stripe and think I can get the Eagle Bird emblem too. Probly be Red on the Off-white paint I'm gonna go with later. Maybe red wheels or yellow to accent the white.

• MH81 said thank you