• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jacobd OFFLINE  

jacobd
  • Member No: 17550
  • 49 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 10:21 PM

Bought a cub cadet 782 yesterday. The seller had posted it on craigslist  with several attachments in "ran when parked" condition for 175 bucks. I got lucky and was the first person to contact him and he was nice enough to hold it for me and stick to his original price even when people were offering him more over the phone. I gave him a little extra anyway.

In the end I ended up with a 782 with a series II KT17, a front blade, a complete sleeve hitch adapter, a set of concrete wheel weights, a homemade sleeve hitch potato plow/ripper, and a deck/subframe that's a little beat up but looks usable. Not sure what size.

Apparently the seller inherited it from his grandpa who bought it new and took a lot of pride in it. He said his grandpa replaced the original series I with the series II at one point. When I inquired about the side covers he said his grandpa took those off because in his opinion all they did was make it run hotter. Guess they got lost somewhere between then and now.  

First thing I did when I got it home was put a good battery and some oil in it. Had to jump the solenoid but it had spark and I got it to fire once on some carb cleaner through the intake. It wouldn't fire a second time though. Messed with it some more today and the solenoid randomly started working so now it turns over with the key but I still had the same issue of having to crank and crank just to have it fire off weakly and die. Noticed it had very weak spark so I swapped in a spare coil I had and it fired right away and ran as long as I dribbled gas in the intake.

The plan at this point is to hopefully get it running with a carb cleaning, pressure wash all the grime and grease off, change the oil, tube or replace the flat tire and then sing praises to the engineers at international who designed the hydraulic lift on these tractors as I take full advantage of it while plowing the garden. 

Only pic I have is right after I unstrapped it.

jpv1xk.jpg

Do you guys have any tips for things I can do to help give this KT17 a long and healthy life?

• KennyP and bgkid2966 have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 11:46 PM

Run Shell Rotella 30wt in it. I have one in a PK that is holding up well, a rare event I understand. Must have been a few good ones around!  I like those Red IH's ,  would be good rig to have.  Would look better with side panels tho, so shop for those!  Ebay!

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 06:08 AM

Nice looking 782 and a real bargain!. Congratulations and enjoy! I have a series 1 KT17 in my 317!! I would just give it the once over, make sure the air cleaner is in good shape and maybe run some Seafoam through the engine. Check the points for condition and gap and make sure the motor mounts and driveshaft couplers are all in good shape before putting a heavy load on it. 

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 06:32 AM

Nice score there! Good luck with it!

#5 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 07:51 AM

Looks like you got a great deal!  :thumbs:

Geno

#6 jacobd OFFLINE  

jacobd
  • 49 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 09:19 PM

Did some more work on this over the last two days. Got a front tire from UncleWille. Engine had a bad case of swamp carburetor I took it apart and cleaned it all out, along with draining about a quart of nice clear rainwater and another 3/4 of a gallon of old stale gas out of the fuel tank. Runs pretty good now. Drove it around a little bit and noticed the hydro seemed very lazy and unresponsive. You could set the control lever and it would take a few seconds to get up to speed. Also noticed going up hills it would stop altogether. Pulled the plug to check the hydro fluid level and I couldn't even get my finger wet so I'm assuming it's way low and that's why it fades out up hill. Could that have to do with the lag in the control also? The only other hydro cubs I've had were a 127 and a 682 and when you told them to jump they didn't even pause to ask how high.

Tomorrow I plan to go to town and get engine oil and a filter and fluid for the rear end. I'd like to use real hy-tran but it looks like the closest international dealer is about 50 miles away and I don't really want to go that far just for some fluid so I'm planing to use the best substitute I can find. Does anyone have a favorite off brand they use? I was thinking I'd see what napa has to offer since I'll probably get the filter there anyway. 

#7 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 12:12 AM

It's your dime. But personally I would stick to the Hy-Tran fluid. I've heard of some folks getting a "substitute" fluid from Tractor Supply, but I can not comment on it's performance since I have not tried it.

Make sure when you get the filter to get a hydraulic filter, not oil filter.

The filter and fluid change should help with the non-responsiveness of the tractor. Hint when cleaning out the differential. Do not use paper towel, because if the smallest piece is left behind, you'll be left scratching your head and doing it all over again. Been there, done that.

You may also have a worn out trunnion. That would cause a jerky motion. 

Edited by zippy1, April 18, 2014 - 12:15 AM.

#8 oldironmm OFFLINE  

oldironmm
  • Member No: 32034
  • 9 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 11:06 PM

I have a 782 IH and I use only Hy-Tran and Cub hydro filter. I have never had a problem with my hydro, but have heard people in my area that used off brand oil and filters and had a nightmare.I use mine for heavy work, plowing is the main, this is my tractor at my place. I also have a KT17-2 with oil filter. I use 30W in my eng. a NAPA gold filter. I guess when I worked in an old IH dealership that sold Cubs I was brain washed a little, but it has never let me down. Guess if it ain't broke I'm not going to change. LOL. Also was told at a hydro shop in Iowa that Hy-Tran did a better job of holding oil so you could see it in the oil. I've seen bad oil and what can happen to the hydro's using it. Just hate to see this happen to someone if I can help. Good luck. Hope this info. was useful, I feel I may have gotten on my soapbox. LOL.

#9 jacobd OFFLINE  

jacobd
  • 49 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 06:12 PM

I ended up going with Castrol SAE 30 in the engine and NAPA premium heavy duty tractor hydraulic and transmission fluid in the rear. And a NAPA hydraulic filter also. If this were a machine that I couldn't afford to have down I would definitely go to the extra trouble of getting fluid and a filter from the dealer but as much use as this tractor will see I decided not to bother. The NAPA fluid does say that it meets Case-IH spec MS1204-MS1209 so it should be ok. If it blows up I'll be sure to let everyone know.

Used it to plow the garden over the weekend and it preformed well. Here's a pic about halfway through.

34ytbid.jpg

The hydro is still very hard to control. It won't go a constant speed. On flat ground if you set it to anything more than a crawl it will accelerate to full speed and if there's any load it slows way back down so you're constantly having to chase it with the lever. After I pressure washed an obscene amount of old grease and crud off of it I think I can see why.

v6u520.jpg

kd976f.jpg

The trunnion plate and the other two plates that work together to control hydro are all badly worn. At some point I'll probably try to weld the trunnion up and probably just replace the other two plates. But like I said I don't have a ton for this tractor to do so it may be a while before I get to it. For plowing the garden I just set the lever all the way forward and that gave me a decent ground speed. Could've used a little more weight but then again when can you not. Oh and as you may have noticed it needs a new hydro fan. I didn't get one before I plowed but it never got hot enough to worry me anyway. These cubs are built tough in more ways then one! And that hydraulic lift is pure luxury. I think it's spoiled me forever  :D     

• CRFarnsworth said thank you

#10 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 24, 2014 - 03:39 PM

nice find on the 782

#11 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 24, 2014 - 03:42 PM

you can adjust your hydro linkage, it might help a bit but if your trunion is wore you"ll need to deal with that also. good luck.

#12 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted April 24, 2014 - 07:13 PM

Nice deal. I've had a 782 several years now and that hydraulic lift definately spoils a guy. Lots of info. available on re-doing a Cub trunion around. You'll never regret getting it :thumbs:

#13 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 02, 2014 - 10:47 AM

hyro lift spoils a guy just like power steering would . Most older tractors need a little tlc, but that's what we do in our spare time. good luck.