Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted January 29, 2011 - 07:15 AM

Hi, Guys! ....I've been reading here awhile, but this is my first post.

Some Bolens history:

My Dad was a Bolens dealer in New Jersey from 1950-1983. ......Back in the early 1950's when Bolens two-wheel tractors were popular, my Dad made a riding roller attachment to hitch up to the Bolens Tractor. .....He made it for his own use, and painted it Bolens Green. .....It utilized the seat and the hitch from the Bolens sulky attachment.

The Bolens factory rep visited my Dad's dealership, and saw the roller on the showroom floor. .....He asked some questions, and made some sketches. ......He took them back to the factory, and the following year Bolens began manufacturing and selling the riding roller attachment. .....My Dad never received, or expected, any compensation for his idea.

The roller could be used empty in place of a sulky, or the roller could be filled with water (or sand) for weight.
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#34 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 29, 2011 - 07:21 AM

Bruce Dorsi :welcometogttalk:glad to have you with us,even though you have been here awhile.

That is interesting info,thanks for sharing it.

#35 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted January 29, 2011 - 07:58 AM

Welcome!

Thank you for that bit of information. I'm always eager to hear stories from people who been around Bolens.

Do you know much about the Tubeframes from the 60's?

Also... DO you still have any parts your selling?

#36 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 29, 2011 - 08:16 AM

Or maybe you might have some brochures or literature from the '50s/'60s.

#37 1967bolens collector ONLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 649 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted January 29, 2011 - 02:37 PM

great score brian. i have one like that but from the 70s. i will get some pics of it today

#38 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 10:52 AM

Welcome!

Thank you!

Do you know much about the Tubeframes from the 60's?

As much as I can remember! ......I worked in my Dad's Bolens dealership for 25+ years. ......The Bolens Tube-Frames were/are my favorite tractors. The 1050's are, in my opinion, one of the finest and best-built tractors of all time.

Also... DO you still have any parts your selling?

.....When we sold the mower shop, the parts & wholegoods went to the new owner. ......Sadly, the new owner didn't know what he had, and when he closed the business, he scrapped what was left. .....I was SICK when I heard that!

#39 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 10:57 AM

Or maybe you might have some brochures or literature from the '50s/'60s.

I have a lot of parts manuals for the older Bolens equipment. ......I have some brochures for the 60's- 70's stuff. ......When I was a kid, I would save the left-over literature and put it aside. .....When it accumulated too much, my Mom tossed it, so all the earlier literature was thrown away.

#40 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 12:30 PM

Thank you!

As much as I can remember! ......I worked in my Dad's Bolens dealership for 25+ years. ......The Bolens Tube-Frames were/are my favorite tractors. The 1050's are, in my opinion, one of the finest and best-built tractors of all time.

.....When we sold the mower shop, the parts & wholegoods went to the new owner. ......Sadly, the new owner didn't know what he had, and when he closed the business, he scrapped what was left. .....I was SICK when I heard that!

I just got a terrible feeling in my stomach when I read that..........

Thats too bad all that stuff got tossed.....

By any chance, can you tell me why and when they made the decal change in the 900/800's

ebay 800 2.jpg

ebay 800 1.jpg

64' 800 a.jpg
I'm pretty sure they did this for 64' and 65' I have always wondered why they changed the hood side decals

#41 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 12:37 PM

I have a lot of parts manuals for the older Bolens equipment. ......I have some brochures for the 60's- 70's stuff. ......When I was a kid, I would save the left-over literature and put it aside. .....When it accumulated too much, my Mom tossed it, so all the earlier literature was thrown away.

If you dont mind could you take some photo's of some of your Brochures.... I am a Bolens Brochure Addict and would love to see what you have!

#42 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 12:41 PM

Oh man,that's not good to hear.

#43 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,214 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 06:09 PM

Hi, Guys! ....I've been reading here awhile, but this is my first post.

Some Bolens history:

My Dad was a Bolens dealer in New Jersey from 1950-1983. ......Back in the early 1950's when Bolens two-wheel tractors were popular, my Dad made a riding roller attachment to hitch up to the Bolens Tractor. .....He made it for his own use, and painted it Bolens Green. .....It utilized the seat and the hitch from the Bolens sulky attachment.

The Bolens factory rep visited my Dad's dealership, and saw the roller on the showroom floor. .....He asked some questions, and made some sketches. ......He took them back to the factory, and the following year Bolens began manufacturing and selling the riding roller attachment. .....My Dad never received, or expected, any compensation for his idea.

The roller could be used empty in place of a sulky, or the roller could be filled with water (or sand) for weight.

Welcome to GTT,
Did you guy's happen to sell the Ridemasters in the 50's? Would you have any info on them?

#44 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted February 01, 2011 - 10:10 AM

By any chance, can you tell me why and when they made the decal change in the 900/800's

No, I can't tell you that. ......My brain doesn't remember the WHEN. ......The factory never explained the WHY!

Unless someone worked at the factory and was involved in the change, it is doubtful that the factory reps or distributors would be privy to the reasons for any change in decals.

I do know that sometimes the pictures in the brochures did not match the decals that were on the tractors when they were shipped from the factory. ....Evidently the artwork for the literature was done far in advance of the production of the decals and tractors.

#45 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted February 01, 2011 - 10:17 AM

If you dont mind could you take some photo's of some of your Brochures.... I am a Bolens Brochure Addict and would love to see what you have!

I have scanned some pages and have them saved as .jpg files. I can also take photos and save as jpegs. .......Can I upload them directly to the manuals section, or do they have to be hosted elsewhere (such as Photobucket) and linked?

I am a techno-dinosaur! ........Fortunately, I am better with wrenches than with computers! .....Need help, please!