#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 06:53 PM

For later model twins in Plastic Kings.  Might apply to many others of same years, the 80's. Mine didnt work, was froze up and rusty. Decided to dig into it and see if clean-up will work. First thing I found is the big fout bolts holding the unit to engine, do little to take it apart. I removed the crank center bolt and the spacer stuff off the crank, still no move. Finally figured must have to remove those three 3/8" nuts/springs to remove outer tin and rest should come off. THAT did it. Front half just slid right off. The back half didn't, but I just bolted those big bolts back up, didn't really need it off anyway. Used my air tool with pads to clean up the part on the engine still, worked well. Did same with outer surface. I put it back on loose and ran the switch and it worked, but only if I tapped a tiny big on the outer surface to make it move in and drag. Finally put all back together and ran engine and tried, and got some action some time. I know there is a clearance you need to set between the surfaces. Each nut/spring has a slot for gauge. I Don't know the size gauge to use. I did tighten those nuts in a little while running and the clutch started grabbing and releasing well, but don't have the spec for the clearance. I'm thinking I heard .010 but not sure.  I'm not sure if PK info has setting those up or not, haven't checked my big book yet.

• toppop52 said thank you

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 11:54 PM

Big Red Book shows a little diff model, but same construction mostly.  Says .05 to .020 for clearance, reccommends .012 for setting. Fellas on the PK forum say small as you can go without having it drag worked best for them. So, gonna go out tommorrow and try .010 and see how it works, go smaller if needed. Thanks for all the help Guy's!.......... :shoot2: :poke:  PKer's live a Lonely Life!

#3 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,913 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 07:17 AM

That is kinda how I set my clutch, just a bit of adjusting.

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 05:41 PM

Done it today at .008 and clamps good and releases and stops when off. Don't have deck on yet to tell how it catches, but can't turn by hand w/out moving engine.  Worked on deck today, fixing little things and lubing. With some Mule drive adjusters and pins and a new belt, think it will be running. Then we will be testing the pto.  Parts tommorrow, but might not be till later that I can have time to put them all on.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,820 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 05:44 PM

If I remember right, the last one I looked up clearance specs for called for around .007".