12 replies to this topic

#1 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 04:46 PM

I recently picked up a 67 110 round fender tractors in good shape pulls good plow good but it seem the 8 hp kohler just dosent have much guts is there something wrong or are they just not very powerful. doesnt smoke starrts up good and idles smooth

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,725 Thanks
  • 4,285 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 05:04 PM

Point adjustment wii affect timing. That could cause a loss of power. Other items would be carb or governor adjustment.

• superspeedex said thank you

#3 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 05:11 PM

I would suggest tune up with points plug and wire first. Then a carb cleaning and rebuild. The k181 should run a bit higher than the larger k series.

#4 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 01:17 AM

As in higher you mean rpms??  ill have to check that point gap

#5 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 07:45 AM

As in higher you mean rpms??  ill have to check that point gap

Yes, higher RPMS.  Sorry about the last post - it was from my phone. 

#6 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 07:13 PM

When you are working the tractor, such as plowing, what notch do you have the variable speed setting at? This would be the lever on the right hand side of the tractor. All the way front will give you higher speed, but when needing the horsepower, bring the variable speed lever back a couple of notches as this won't allow the belt to slip as easily. You may be slipping the belt without even noticing it. 

#7 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 07:36 PM

When you are working the tractor, such as plowing, what notch do you have the variable speed setting at? This would be the lever on the right hand side of the tractor. All the way front will give you higher speed, but when needing the horsepower, bring the variable speed lever back a couple of notches as this won't allow the belt to slip as easily. You may be slipping the belt without even noticing it. 

I have it clear forward because it slips when back i plow in 2nd gear with the variator clear forward it slip when useing alot of torque when anywhere else.  do i need a new belt cause ill be taking this to a plow day in like 3 weeks and might need to order a belt

#8 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 08:03 PM

Sounds like you need a couple belts and a variator adjustment. Make sure you replace both the primary and secondary. Also use John Deere belts only. After that, readjust the variator and it will feel like that kohler gained hp. Someone on here should know the procedure for the variator on the round fenders.

Eric

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Edited by dropped82, April 15, 2014 - 08:03 PM.

• johndeereelfman and superspeedex have said thanks

#9 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 08:33 PM

would anyone know the 2 part numbers??

#10 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 08:35 PM

Yes, sounds like belts are in order. Do me a favor, and check to see where the rear hitch plate is located. In normal circumstances, the frame should overhang the rear hitch plate, or just be even with the face of the hitch plate. While standing straight up behind the tractor and looking down at the rear of the tractor frame, if the you can see daylight between the hitch plate and the tractor frame, then this tells me that someone already adjusted the hitch plate as far as it can go, and the belts are pretty much worn out. If there isn't any daylight between the frame and the hitch plate, then you can "unbolt" the (6) bolts that hold the fenders to the tractor frame, "loosen" the (4) bolts that hold the hitch plate to the frame, "loosen" the (2) two bolts that hold the seat spring, and disconnect the brake rod. Once all of these steps are done, you can slide the whole transmission and hitch plate back as far as it will go, then tighten all of the bolts back up. This will be a temporary fix for getting some added belt tension, but it's not made to last very long. You will have to adjust the brake rod by extending it enough to reattach it to the brake shoe lever. 

Personally, I would just replace the belts and be done with it. I would also replace the variator spring as well. These have a tendency to stretch over time, which won't give the proper tension required for the variator to work properly. Replacing the belts are easy, but this variator spring can be a real bear to replace. When and if you decide to go that route, check back in with us, and we'll walk you through it.

#11 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 08:39 PM

Primary belt is M40015M 

Secondary belt is M40016M

#12 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 08:41 PM

Jd elf man nice signature by the way........I willl just put belts on it does anyone have those 2 part numbersbeat me 2 it thanks ..?? should i got deere or kevlar belts the spring ill get from deere

Edited by superspeedex, April 15, 2014 - 08:41 PM.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#13 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 08:47 PM

No, go only with John Deere belts. The kevlar belts will not hold up. Deere belts are most expensive, and believe me, I hate to pay the price myself, but for dependability, they are well worth the money! Trust me, and take my word for it. Do it right the first time, and be happy.