Bolens 14 Xl Need Steering Shaft Bushing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mdob OFFLINE  

• Member No: 55620
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 01:11 PM

The bushing in the steering shaft and the gear that go thought he frame to the steering linkage are bad and need to be replaced. The problem is the gear at the bottom of shaft or the steer wheel don't want to come off. It looks like some sort of cap washer holding the steering wheel on so I can't pull the wheel off. I can't get to the shaft to pull it. Also I didn't want to break anything either. Please help,thanks.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,476 Thanks
  • 17,096 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 01:18 PM

Hi, Welcome to the forum

I have never had one of these steering assemblies apart before so I cant give you any tips or pointers on removal

There's alot of Bolens guys here that should be able to offer you the best solution on steering removal.

As for the Bushings they are NLA, you can still find some NOS ones here and there but can be expensive.

Funny you bring up this topic as I am currently working on reproducing these nylon bushings but probably wont be ready by the time you need them.

#3 sodisr OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9153
  • 648 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 12:00 PM

M dob,,,

Not sure either about an xL...But I just did my Tube Frame not to long ago..

First check to see that you don't have set-screws,,or a roll pin on the underside of your'e steer wheel

Pry,,,CAREFULLY on the center cap of the steering wheel..There should be a nut OR bolt and washer of some kind..

Penetrateing oil can be your'e friend here...I soaked mine for more than a week...I used a different bolt  ( on mine ) and screwed it in as far as it would go into the steering shaft...( no need to over tighten )  and several times a day just tap on the new bolt ,,holding up on the steering wheel CENTER...(  You don't want to crack the wheel  )

Keep it oiled constantly,,, let it soak..

When I finally got the wheel off the nylon bushing was missing under the wheel..  I used the anti strip,,center thing that's used for conduit..It's so you don't nick the wires when you pull them thru the conduit. (It's like an inner sleeve).. kinda soft material plastic,,But it worked well...

I hope I have been of some help here...  I think I have a post here some where about it,,, Maybe even a pic or two..

Keep us posted,,,,,,,,,,, Be patient,,,,,,,            Good  luck,,,,,,,,,,,                     sodi..