Replacement For Gt262

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dmonbarren OFFLINE  

• Member No: 55600
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 09:10 AM

I've got a 19-year-old GT262 with a 48-inch deck that I think I'm finally ready to let go. Question is, what would be an appropriate replacement? 

I've been very happy with the 262. I mow 3.5-4 acres of a 5-acre parcel that's got some hills and lots of trees to work around (not to mention my wife's flower beds). I'm also to the point that I'd like to stop shoveling out a 150-foot lane, so I'll want to add a snow blower to the front (a blade would be acceptable, but I don't think any of these small garden tractors has the weight or power to handle a heavy Ohio snowfall). 

So, I'm looking for suggestions.

I keep hearing that the D series machines (I was considering the D160 or D170) won't last as long as the X series (looking at the X300 or X320). I can't seem to find any comparisons to my nearly 20-year-old tractor. Is the GT262 equivalent to a D series tractor or an X series tractor (in quality of build and expected longevity)? Is the X series worth the extra money (smaller engines but longer warranties and a bunch of extra features I probably don't really need)? 

I will, of course, talk to my local dealers (we're fortunate to have two within 15 minutes drive), but sometimes a user's perspective is less biased.

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,502 Thanks
  • 6,370 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 09:47 AM

Sounds like time for a zero-turn version if things to mow around. But, not sure how good a blade or blower is on those, even tho offered. Second choice might be an "All wheel Steer" type tractor to manuever easier.  I would buy the best you can afford. X series seems to be the new home-owner series.   Most salesman at these places sound like they are reading out of a manual of all the features and gizmos when talking to them. They probly have little idea what most features do in real life.  I tell them to Shut off the sales mode and talk to me normal or get someone that Really knows the machines they sell to talk to.

#3 13jac1316 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 53385
  • 4 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 10:07 AM

for the amount your mowing and plowing i think an older 60s 70s farmall cub would do the job

#4 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,379 Thanks
  • 3,959 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 10:16 AM

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 12:07 PM

Welcome to GTTalk. In the JD lineup you would need to go to the X500 series to get a true garden tractor like the 262. Be prepared for some sticker shock when you price one. X300 and D series are lawn tractors. If you can locate a good used GX335 345 or maybe even a 425/445 those would be a good choice. The D series tractor will not stand up to mowing that much lawn. I would  go to the local JD dealership and talk about your needs and see what they recommend. 

You should keep your eyes and ears open for a good low hours used garden tractor of any brand. Going used is a real valid option but you may have to expand your scope beyond JD to find something in a reasonable time.

#6 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,586 Thanks
  • 3,736 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 05:31 PM

My father in law has a x724 that rocks. 4 wheel steering, 62" deck, and a two stage blower. But it was NOT cheap. It is a great cross between maneuverable and usable.

If going used I would suggest a 425/455 if you are a fan of Deere.

#7 Kentucky OFFLINE  

• Member No: 55814
  • 106 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 04:56 PM

Go bigger than the x300 if you want something more than a lawn mower. I know I had one for 3 years. It cuts grass like a barber, really nice but the little K46 tranny is weak by your tractors comparison. After three years of hauling my considerable size up and down my yard(which is hilly like yours) it was begging for mercy and not long for this world. Knowing what it was I didn't even work it very hard but it still was giving the death rattle.

#8 dropped82 OFFLINE  

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,333 Thanks
  • 1,191 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 05:19 PM

Looking at the D series and any X3xx tractor is asking for trouble. It won't last long on what you have to deal with. If you want new then definitely look at either the X500/X700 series tractors. If you are willing to expand to something other than Deere, Simplicity still makes a nice garden tractor also. I would definitely avoid any lawn tractor especially if you are wanting good snow removal in the winter. A snowblower is real nice but a blade on a good GT will handle a lot of snow. I use both. Used tractor is also an option. If you don't mind wrenching a little on an older machine, you will get a lot more tractor for your money. Plus the older ones are built a lot heavier than what you will find today. Hope this helps and happy hunting. Don't be fooled by the 23" tires and high HP ratings on the bigger D series tractors. They are still light duty lawn tractors and will live a short, disappointing life mowing a hilly 3.5 acres like you explained.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk