• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,547 Thanks
  • 2,026 posts

Posted April 11, 2014 - 10:51 PM

Hey there  I think I asked this once before (last year sometime) but don't ever remember getting an answer.

I have an older (around 1976 if I remember right)  Troy Bilt Horse  that started leaking gear oil at the wheel shafts the last few times I moved it around the garage  Its time to get it fired up again (I know Mom's gonna be calling for me to bring it to her house to till, so she can put her tomato plants in the ground) and Id like to replace those seals first.... anyone got a "normal" part number  ya know like Timken or SKF or National--- a normal industry seal number  rather than a Troy number for those?  I hate going thru them for parts any more they ain't like they used to be.....

if I had a regular seal number I could get them from motion Industries or even Car Quest,,,,

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 10,498 Thanks
  • 7,925 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 05:29 AM

In cases like that,  I pull the seal and go to NAPA to match it. Good Luck, Rick 

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,593 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 06:37 AM

I'm wondering if the dimensions would be on the parts descriptions in the diagrams. Seals are often not that much more expensive at the dealer than NAPA. You might want to check the bearings to make sure there isn't a wear problem that has caused the seals to go. 

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 13,386 Thanks
  • 17,472 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 07:17 AM

Do you know the model?

I should be able to interchange just about any  Troy-Bilt bearing or seal through

• dodge trucker said thank you

#5 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,547 Thanks
  • 2,026 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 06:55 PM

never mind   went out to my parents' river cottage to get it and I found cut padlocks and an empty shed.... STOLEN.... it was there when I put it there back around Turkey day.... last I saw it

you guys like yore Napa.... the couple around here are staffed by idiots....

Edited by dodge trucker, April 14, 2014 - 06:56 PM.

#6 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,874 Thanks
  • 5,166 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 08:53 AM

Dude that sucks. My dad bought his TB new in '76, best piece of machinery he evered owned. I replaced he axle seals in his ( mine now) a couple years ago, pretty cheap from a dealer if I remember correctly.

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,547 Thanks
  • 2,026 posts

Posted April 16, 2014 - 05:28 PM

Yup, Tahoe, that was far from all they got.... cops are involved but "can't do anything"   it seems

Edited by dodge trucker, April 16, 2014 - 05:40 PM.

• TAHOE said thank you

#8 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 28,446 Thanks
  • 29,126 posts

Posted April 16, 2014 - 06:22 PM

Man, I hope they not only get caught they get what they deserve too.

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 31,305 Thanks
  • 41,533 posts

Posted April 16, 2014 - 06:39 PM

Sorry to hear they grabbed it!

#10 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,547 Thanks
  • 2,026 posts

Posted April 17, 2014 - 09:06 AM

yup... seems I'm not the only one. there's a "kid" (never net him so I guess "kid" is relative)  that don't work and has a drug habit to feed,  and lives right next door to our place to boot.

has hit everyone in the community.  I have talked to several out there and they unaminously say it was the same person that hit us as hit them...

where this is at, used to be a resort community of sorts back in the 50s/60s Chicago people would go down there for the weekends, and the area would be pretty empty during the week.   but in the last 20-30 years or so now it hs filled in with people that live there year round now. Ours is one of only a few that still isn't lived in permanently.

My Dad bought the place in the mid 80s. but Dad is gone now and I'm the only one that ever goes out there any more and too infrequently at that

but as far as the current situation goes I guess the culprit is fairly brazen, doing what he does in the middle of broad daylight.

Nobody that I used to know out there seems to be left. 

A couple of people I have talked to out there know the culprit's grandfather, and both who I talked to that know him say that he claims his grandson as a POS... I guess the kid even cleaned Grandpa out... Grandpa is a Farmall tractor guy (or was at least) 

just a quick, off the top of our head figure my son and I are estimating what was stolen from us, to be somewhere around $3 grand worth of stuff... that's replacing what was lost with good used replacements, not even new replacement value... a lot of what we had isn't even available as new and Chinamade "clones" do not count.

I may have to revise that upwards though as I just finished looking on CL at Horse tillers and most I see are $500-750  (heck even a TB Pony or Bronco has a $500 asking price, used, these days)

my Landa hot water power washer (steam cleaner) that I paid $500 for, now is $650 used, bought new that alone would be over $3,000.  plus my Dad's tools and the stove they got from inside the mobile home, my Roper 2500 w. generator, 5 Sears Suburban mower decks,  and a whole bunch of rust free sheet metal (hoods doors fenders etc) that took my son and I years to find in that condition here in the road salt belt,  for 81-93 Dodge truck/Ramcharger  My son has an 89 Ramcharger that he's restoring. the pair of bumpers he had, I don't think we'll ever find another set that nice. plus my Dodge Aspen/Plymouth Volare doors hood and stuff, (my long term project) and who knows what all I'm forgetting...

Edited by dodge trucker, April 17, 2014 - 09:09 AM.

#11 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,547 Thanks
  • 2,026 posts

Posted April 17, 2014 - 09:11 AM

Do you know the model?

I should be able to interchange just about any  Troy-Bilt bearing or seal through

all I know is that it WAS A Horse, and not a "Horse II", not a PTO model either. but it don't matter any more.

#12 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 13,386 Thanks
  • 17,472 posts

Posted April 17, 2014 - 09:14 AM

Sorry to hear you lost your machine!