26 replies to this topic

#16 xrs OFFLINE  

xrs
  • Member No: 35912
  • 21 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 05:47 AM

What size hp diesel? Just interested. Never had one. Noel

I was thinking like a 13 horse diesel, something like http://a1biofuel.net/Winsun-13hp.html

My rents both have kubota bx series tractors with 3-cyl diesels, when I can afford it I'll upgrade to something of the sort as I love those tractors, but for now this Bolens will be a good start.  Don't know how soon it will be but I do plan on getting to that aweful paint job and dress it up.  The tractor does need to be used this summer for lawn and yard care so the restoration will be an overtime kind of project.

Welcome to GTT. Congratulations, you got a really good tube frame. You can download manuals from our Manuals Section(3 for free per day). The attachments for tube frames are pretty common. You'll find what you want with a little patience and the chart in the Manuals Section. Good Luck, Rick

Thanks for the info!  I'm really hoping the implements I want are't that hard to find, as I'd like to use it year round.  As you can see in the pics, we still have snow on the ground soo some snow removal equipment for this would be cool! 

• MyBolens1053, Gabriel and propane1 have said thanks

#17 JohnWR ONLINE  

JohnWR
  • Member No: 34556
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 06:00 AM

I was thinking like a 13 horse diesel, something like http://a1biofuel.net/Winsun-13hp.html

My rents both have kubota bx series tractors with 3-cyl diesels, when I can afford it I'll upgrade to something of the sort as I love those tractors, but for now this Bolens will be a good start.  Don't know how soon it will be but I do plan on getting to that aweful paint job and dress it up.  The tractor does need to be used this summer for lawn and yard care so the restoration will be an overtime kind of project.

Thanks for the info!  I'm really hoping the implements I want are't that hard to find, as I'd like to use it year round.  As you can see in the pics, we still have snow on the ground soo some snow removal equipment for this would be cool! 

The last few weeks i've really been thinking about putting one of those into a tube frame the shaft size is right and you already have the right hood with a different tank and exhaust it shoe horn right in.

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

#18 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 08:16 AM

Welcome to the forum!

Is that 3-pt hitch a "true" 3-pt?

Reason I ask is Bolens did not have a 3-pt option for the tube frames.

Some good pics and details of how it was fabricated would be of interest to a lot of tube frame owners.

• sodisr, xrs and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#19 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,863 Thanks
  • 2,786 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 09:17 AM

WELCOME ABOARD NICE GT
  • xrs and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#20 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 11:10 AM

What do all those yellow caution stickers say?

CAUTION   !!!!!!!!!

Sorry I couldn't resist          :rolling:

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

#21 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 11:22 AM

Welcome   XRS.......

You will love this site...!!

I own it's little brother,,,,,,,,,,,   the 1556

• xrs and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#22 xrs OFFLINE  

xrs
  • Member No: 35912
  • 21 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 05:37 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Is that 3-pt hitch a "true" 3-pt?

Reason I ask is Bolens did not have a 3-pt option for the tube frames.

Some good pics and details of how it was fabricated would be of interest to a lot of tube frame owners.

You sir are one of the many reasons I felt I should post my adventure with this tractor on a forum because well, I wasn't aware that the tube frames were never offered with a true 3 point. 

I managed to snap some pics trying to show you all angles of how the quick 3pt hitch is on there. And being the rookie I don't know how much of that was originally offered with the tractor.  For the top link however it is just welded on to a free roller on the top shaft of what I guess was the original 2pt lift system.  Was the plate bolted on the back of transmission a stock piece or something PO stuck on there? 

I've yet to see it move up and down, 3pt is locked in upright position and have not had the time to get that involved with the tractor (daughter's 2nd birthday weekend).  Hope this is somewhat close to what you were looking for! 

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0763.JPG
  • DSC_0764.JPG
  • DSC_0765.JPG
  • DSC_0766.JPG
  • DSC_0767.JPG
  • DSC_0768.JPG
  • DSC_0769.JPG

• Bolens 1000, boyscout862, Sawdust and 2 others have said thanks

#23 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 05:40 PM

Everything you see there is fabbed up, even that back plate that has the hole cut for the oil plug......

• boyscout862, xrs and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#24 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 08:15 PM

Welcome to GTT. Nice Bolens you have there. Real interesting fab on that 3-pt. hitch. Wanna see more when you have the taime to figure it out.

• xrs said thank you

#25 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 374 Thanks
  • 390 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 12:11 AM

Welcome looks like a good project. These are fun machines.
  • xrs said thank you

#26 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 08:49 AM

The adjustable links on that fabbed 3-pt appear to be borrowed from the HT Large Frame 3-pt (18086)
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#27 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 06:44 PM

well if for no other reason you could leave it on there for weight when you plow snow cause i wouldn't trust that to pick up a cat and move it across the yard let alone an implement , so on that note welcome and enjoy the diverse comentary on such topics to boggle the mind and bring you're tractor dream back to reality with real world knowledge of the subject and it's best possible outcome . bolex H16 owner  :thumbs: :bs: and good luck with you're new addition