• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted April 11, 2014 - 06:25 PM

So I asked this before, but I'm hoping with the possibility of new members or more Economy's being worked maybe I can get an answer. What model is the Dana used in the mid 70's. Are there any numbers on the axle tubes where the larger Dana's are identified. The place where I work rebuilds Dana's every day. We even contacted Dana off-road division with the ring gear # and they said it comes back as a pinion gear. WRONG! I need to at least find a cover gasket and some seals. Someone please help. Anyone?

#2 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 416
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted April 11, 2014 - 07:56 PM

Maybe try the Economy - Power King Yahoo group.

Lots of smart guys there.

You need to sign up, but well worth it.

https://groups.yahoo...ations/messages

Edited by bread320i, April 11, 2014 - 07:57 PM.

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 06:44 PM

Think was model 25, but not sure. Cover gaskets.....guys now use silicone (which I don't like the squeeze look) and I myself just get paper and mark around outside of it and the bolt holes. Cut nice with scissors and holes with punches, the inside cut out you can kinda of guess at and be sloppier on. No one will see it. What seals?  None in the rear. There is seals out on the bull cases for the brake rods to pop-out there. Common seal, might have number on it if you scrape off paint or just measure, real easy size. If you mean Pinion seal can't help there. Just use numbers off an old one?  Don't think the Power King parts books show all the internals and seals, but would have to check again for sure. Mission Manufacturing in S. Indiana is the PK parts source guys for MOST of the stuff, look them up on google.

• pharmer said thank you

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 07:49 PM

For covers like these, I like to use rubberized cork.  I buy it in rolls.

• pharmer said thank you

#5 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 08:00 PM

I posted on the yahoo site. One reply was 4 different models were used. Mod 11, 11a, 12, and 12D. They are listed in the Master Parts Catalog pages 2-58. Now I wish I got look at that. More research I guess.

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 11:03 PM

I have the cat on thumb drive but is hard to use and find stuff. Can see what I can find.  I also have the Big Red Book, which was master parts book, but not sure how new mine goes. I'll look there too.

• pharmer said thank you

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 11:27 PM

OK, looked in BRBook and found some pages. They DO list those models at top, have to know tractor serial number to know which is correct. Make note that some JD's use a 12.5 ratio low gearing, not sure if yours is that or not. Those generally have a small Bull Gear box size. As noted, there is PK numbers for most things, not Dana.  I also see NO seals in this unit. The outer axles and brake levers have some seals you can get from Mission Manufacturing.  On the thumb drive.....Larry that answered your question on PK group is selling them for $10. Have lots of info, but as noted a little harder to learn to use. I like my Book, I can use index and find the pages listed real easy. Mine does have the newer plastic king models too, so covers most everything made. Here's three scans I made. Hope they show up big enough to read. I don't know how to change size, so best I can do. The pix on right is first one with models listed at top if you can read them. It goes with pix #2 in center. The far left or first pix is the latest years.

Attached Thumbnails

• Dana Rear scan 1.jpeg
  • Dana Rear scan 2.jpeg
  • Dana Rear scan 3.jpeg

Edited by glgrumpy, April 12, 2014 - 11:29 PM.

• Alc and pharmer have said thanks

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 11:30 PM

These aren't too clear to see all the numbers. Anyone on here know how to make bigger? OR, I can send to them in an email maybe and they can do tricks with them? 

• pharmer said thank you

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 07:23 AM

These aren't too clear to see all the numbers. Anyone on here know how to make bigger? OR, I can send to them in an email maybe and they can do tricks with them? 

Have you got larger copies of them? I tried to enlarge the last pic, but just blurs it.

#10 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 08:26 AM

Mine is like the center picture with the 5.17 ratio. Do they have the actual Dana model numbers listed for these rears, or are they just Economy P.N.'s ?

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 09:46 AM

Your scanner may have an option to alter them to pdf file format.  If not, there are online programs.  I used dopdf before I got my current all-in-one.  Here's a link to the free software for the dopdf.

#12 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 11:50 AM

pharmer,  look at page on right with writing. At top is the models of the Dana brand. You need to know the serial # range of tractor to pick the model. Maybe I can just list them here. I used a mag glass to see some on screen, but not the best. Not sure why so rough printing showing. I'm using Photo setting, maybe I should use diff setting to do scan?

11 Dana   Before 9 J8583E

11A Dana 9J8583 thru 11542

11A Dana 8668 thru 11542

12 Dana  11543 thru 27211

D-12 Dana Dana 42366 thru 43826

• pharmer said thank you

#13 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 11:57 AM

Tried again with diff settings, see what happens. If I could turn 90* might make bigger,but not seeing that option.

• pharmer said thank you

#14 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 11:58 AM

Tried again with diff settings, see what happens. If I could turn 90* might make bigger,but not seeing that option.  Can't seem to load last few scans, maybe too big or ?? 

Edited by glgrumpy, April 13, 2014 - 12:08 PM.

• pharmer said thank you

#15 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 10:05 PM

My S.N. Indicates I have the D-12. When I get to work tomorrow I will contact DANA Corp with the 4 differentials listed and what is still available for parts. That way in the future if anyone needs something we will know. Thanks so much glgrumpy.
  • Alc said thank you