• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 GT_hacker OFFLINE  

GT_hacker
  • Member No: 54233
  • 3 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 01:03 PM

Alright guys OP is back. Ive taken some time away because my wife just had our first born son and I have also thought long and hard about my wants and needs regarding this tractor project. I have a great junkyard around that I need to haul a load of scrap to in the next couple weeks then I can go thru their piles and find some useful steel members, axles and wheels possibly. I have thought about all my options.

1) design / build my own take on a simple two wheeled tractor. * definitely my favorite and most fun looking choice.

2) buy a gravely , simplicity, or david bradley with attachments. Seems a logical choice. Not half as fun and eventually replacement parts will be very hard to come by. I am looking towards the future and I want a open source design so I can upgrade and fix it.

I choose option 1!

Now I need to find how the tractor will be setup. Im leaning towards hydraulics powered by diesel small engine. Hydraulic wheel hubs. Hydraulic standard 6 spline shaft pto up front. Or make the pto adaptable to bcs tractor implements.

Soon enough I will update with pics of the frame build up.

Thanks guys and gals

#32 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,684 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 02:46 PM

2) buy a gravely , simplicity, or david bradley with attachments. Seems a logical choice. Not half as fun and eventually replacement parts will be very hard to come by.

No harder than finding replacement parts for choice #1

You know, you criticize Open Source for designing stuff that a person needs a big shop to build: then you proceed to make something with hydraulics. There are certainly cheaper ways to do it.

Edited by LilysDad, May 08, 2014 - 02:51 PM.

#33 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 02:48 PM

Hydraulic parts?  I wouldn't consider that easy personally.

#34 rust addict OFFLINE  

rust addict
  • Member No: 51434
  • 242 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 03:21 PM

Some people just want it their way whatever the cost. My walk behind lasted 60 years out in the rain before needing any parts redone. Now that it's once again up and running and working just fine . If it lasts another 60 years I'll be long gone anyways, then the next guy can worry about finding parts.

#35 rust addict OFFLINE  

rust addict
  • 242 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 03:31 PM

If you want to build a walk-behind tractor, spend some time on YouTube and check out some of the stuff people have built from whatever they happen to have lying around already. Pay particular attention to some of the machines built in other countries. As much as it pains me to say it, in this country we've become a bit too "throw it away and BUY a new one", rather than scratching our heads, seeing what we have available....and then building something we can use ourselves.

Here's one example....I chose this one to post because the bits and pieces obviously came from several sources. Pretty it is not. But that's part of its charm:

WOW!  Wow wow, how would you like to be the second owner of that thing and trying to explain to the parts guy what a reverse threaded backstart left throw 1/4 angle bracket bushing pin was. Works like a charm though.

Edited by rust addict, May 09, 2014 - 03:33 PM.

#36 GT_hacker OFFLINE  

GT_hacker
  • 3 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 11:32 PM

I am not sure where everyone else lives but I have an abundance of hydraulic parts supply in farm country. Not to mention the ability to order whatever I need via surplus city or whatever hydraulics parts catalog I have around. I can go to town and have custom made hoses and fittings for a reasonable price.

Since this thread has gone the direction of people just stating that I should go the way they did things and purchase an older walk behind, I must not have been clear of my goals. I am not into purchasing nostalgia. Its expensive these days. Although those older tractors are great. Parts will become fewer and farther between.

I do not discount the value of open source. But I do want the implementation of it to be used more towards the working mans needs. A small walk behind tractor would have been one of my first ose projects if I were marcin. It allows a man to work a small arable plot reasonably and doesnt call for a huge amount of steel. Steel is not cheap and they fail to show the actual costs of many of their machines for what it really is.

I believe hydraulics to be a great option for a durable slow torqy walk behind. I will move this discussion to the recesses of my workshop and I may resurface to show you what I have in my mind. Until then thanks and have a great weekend.

#37 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted May 10, 2014 - 06:36 AM

Good luck with your build .Keep us posted as you go . I'm sure you will give ideas  for others

#38 rust addict OFFLINE  

rust addict
  • 242 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 01:13 PM

Hmmm, custom made hydraulic hoses are reasonably cheap but steel is costly?? I really do hope to see  some sort of unique creation come of this. Obviously he's got a vision and I hope he realizes it. Best of luck.

#39 GT_hacker OFFLINE  

GT_hacker
  • 3 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 09:03 PM

Luckily I have great friends who gave me some great supply of red angle iron for my frame setup this weekend. Come on guys... for those who are giving me crap about the inability to come across hydraulic hoses reasonably. I wont even have that many hoses running on this machine. In the long run a open source parted machine will be much more reasonable to repair than any 50 plus year old tractor . Admit it.

And yes I do have a vision and it will come to fruition soon enough. First I will blueprint it all and plan.. while my friend is borrowing my plasma cutter.

But I would love some credible and helpful responses on how I could go about building a hydraulic powered walk behind. I believe running an appropriate horizontal shaft gas engine or if Im lucky to find a small diesel to power thatd be great. Im trying to figure out a way to power the throttle pressure to each hydraulic wheel assembly. It will have forward and reverse but I dont want to spend the triple money on wheels with brakes. They seem overkill. But maybe I can rectify some braking system otherwise.

How would you go about a hydraulic walk behind tractor design? I have my theories but Ill leave them in my head until I tear them apart and build them back up again a few times.

#40 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 10:46 AM

I for one am waiting to see what ideas you have and the build of the machine.  I saw one vague write up of a hyd 2 wheeler on another site but it has no details, the builder was over in Europe and he also has a highly modified purchased machine.  I think building your own has a lot of interesting possibilities, costs, well a new BCS, Grillo, Goldoini is going run a few thousand and that's without attachments and will have a non "live" pto which is why I keep my Gravely.  I just got rid of an old 2 wheeler because its function was limited, had no reverse gearing, and being old it was made for pushing/pulling not pto work, great machine, simple design but it was mostly useless here for what I need.  I will keep the Gravely for now as it is a very functional machine the only complaint I have with it is it would be nice to have some slower ground speeds.  Good luck on your build, and post plenty of pics!

#41 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,733 Thanks
  • 4,289 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 01:17 PM

Don't some of the zero turns use hydraulic motors on each wheel? Maybe check out something along those lines for the drive?

#42 GT_hacker OFFLINE  

GT_hacker
  • 3 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 06:59 PM

Yes someone mentioned earlier the zero turn hydraulic wheels. I should be able to find some salvaged ones which would save me some money. As far as a live pto. Could I outfit the rear or front or both with a hydraulic pto motor that I can purchase from surplus center? Would it allow the use of gravely attachments? That would be quite handy. Im partial to finding a used small diesel engine to power it all.

#43 GT_hacker OFFLINE  

GT_hacker
  • 3 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 07:06 PM

Its either the hydraulic route or the KISS method. With a sibgle axle chain or belt driven with a transaxle. What would be more bullet proof? Most likely the hydro I think.