• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,595 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 05:10 PM

I have thought about finding a gravely or david bradley. I can find more DBs it seems but im sure I could find a reasonable gravely. Its just I want something a bit different..mainly I will model it after the asian two wheeled tractors that they use with trailers and other implements. I just dont understamd why the only two wheeled offerings in america are the small and too frilly bcs type tractors instead of the ones that I see being used in asia.
Google the asian walking tractors and youll see what I mean. There is a difference in the design of those and the walking tractors of bcs and rapid

Yes, I've seen those tractors. I was looking at the Chang Fa diesel engines for a generator project and they are commonly used in China on 2 wheel tractors to do all sorts of work.  

• trowel said thank you

#17 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,474 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 06:01 PM

I believe a good part of the reason that that style of walk behind isn't sold over hear is because most people well to be blunt is there just to darn lazy. Im not trying to start any arguments but its just the truth. I enjoy working with my walk behinds. It seems to me that there just as usable as a riding tractor and in some situations more so. I would love to use one of those big jap tractors. Seem like real work horses. I can see advantages and dis advantages of riders vs walkers. There's no perfect answer.  If I were gona build one ( ive considered it many times) id start with an existing transaxle like a sears, wheel horse, bolens, etc. It would be easier than trying to make a complete drive train and figure out how you want to make a reverse. And that way you have multiple gears forward. Just my opinion.

• trowel, js5020 and Mike Unwin have said thanks

#18 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,107 Thanks
  • 8,278 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 06:42 PM

It might be worth looking at the transaxle from a Bolens 1250. If you mounted the engine to the trany you would still have speed control from the hydro. You would just have to make a linkage to control the speed. Good Luck, Rick 

Edited by boyscout862, April 10, 2014 - 06:43 PM.

• trowel said thank you

#19 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 4,076 Thanks
  • 2,369 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 08:36 PM

This seems a bit over my head but I am going to put my two cents in anyhow, I agree with using an already made differential.  takes the guess work out of it, say and older wheel horse hydro or even a case 155 rear with the independent brakes,   the hydro gives you the flexibility to put the motor where it is convenient, that way you could build your tractor to your needs and looks but not have to spend months getting the gears rite and working out the reverse gear.

Also as for reversing the machine, look into the way the old troy bilt tillers did there reversing.  the motor would move up and down on shafts to use both upper and lower pulleys on the gear box.  One gear box served as both foreward and reverse. 

Good luck ad post pics, I would like to see this being built.

#20 GT_hacker OFFLINE  

GT_hacker
  • Member No: 54233
  • 3 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 08:54 PM

I will keep you updated . I have a few tractor graveyards in my area and ill get pics up of some options I see in a field. Im weighing all the options you are all coming forward with. I am leaning towards the hydraulic setup at the moment. It is the most versatile for future upgrades and I feel good about finding parts for it around farm country.
I am really hoping to come up with a an open source option for people willing to work the fields with a walk behind. It gives the little man hope that they can work their small plot without needing to go into debt buying and maintaining a larger 4 wheel tractor.

#21 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,821 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 09:02 PM

I believe a good part of the reason that that style of walk behind isn't sold over hear is because most people well to be blunt is there just to darn lazy. Im not trying to start any arguments but its just the truth. I enjoy working with my walk behinds. It seems to me that there just as usable as a riding tractor and in some situations more so. I would love to use one of those big jap tractors. Seem like real work horses. I can see advantages and dis advantages of riders vs walkers. There's no perfect answer.  If I were gona build one ( ive considered it many times) id start with an existing transaxle like a sears, wheel horse, bolens, etc. It would be easier than trying to make a complete drive train and figure out how you want to make a reverse. And that way you have multiple gears forward. Just my opinion.

True, i use both.

It might be worth looking at the transaxle from a Bolens 1250. If you mounted the engine to the trany you would still have speed control from the hydro. You would just have to make a linkage to control the speed. Good Luck, Rick 

Good idea, hydro gives indefinite ground speed control.

All the tube frame Bolens.

Simplicity Sovereign and Landlord 3 speed trannys with the axle diff and variable speed.

Sears Suburbans 3 speed with the high/low tranny (which i always wanted to try building into walk behind)

massey ferguson 12, 14 and 16.

Cub Cadet 102 and others.

And a range of other good tractors, all of which attachments can be found for and half the tractor is already built.

The gear box has always been the most difficult to build and most expensive, the walk behind tractor revolves around the gear box.

I thought about hydro using hydro Haldex variable speed motors per wheel and Haldex single stage engine driven pump, mount the engine/pump on top of a well built hydro reservoir. The Air Track drillers at work are like this, every thing is hinged off the hydro reservoir tank and carry frame.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0394.JPG

Edited by trowel, April 10, 2014 - 09:04 PM.

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#22 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 643 Thanks
  • 750 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 10:57 PM

If your familiar with the Wheel Horse tractors from the late 60s thru 70s , I could easily see removing the front axle and shortening the frame so the engine is where the dash and battery box would be. The rest is easy. An 8 hp Kohler engine would be great.

You don't know just how close the 16 Auto came to becoming a hydro 2 wheeler, had it all figured out (well kind of anyways) then I came to my senses.

Edited by js5020, April 10, 2014 - 11:01 PM.

#23 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 643 Thanks
  • 750 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 11:15 PM

I have thought about finding a gravely or david bradley. I can find more DBs it seems but im sure I could find a reasonable gravely. Its just I want something a bit different..mainly I will model it after the asian two wheeled tractors that they use with trailers and other implements. I just dont understamd why the only two wheeled offerings in america are the small and too frilly bcs type tractors instead of the ones that I see being used in asia.
Google the asian walking tractors and youll see what I mean. There is a difference in the design of those and the walking tractors of bcs and rapid

On one of the forums a fellow supposedly imported one of those Asian walkers, claimed he paid 1500 to the port if I remember right.  They look Heavy and suited for dragging stuff, crude and simple, the European brands because of regulations are frilly, very safety designed, and better ergonomics and all that has big costs. I have a Kohler powered Gravely and its very versatile but I don't think its the best in the garden, everything is front mount so you drive over your work, open differential no lock ability, however I like to use it for mowing and snow removal tasks. 

• Alc said thank you

#24 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

--Crazy about GTTalk-- 'sort of'

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 11,417 Thanks
  • 8,671 posts

Posted April 11, 2014 - 05:52 AM

You don't know just how close the 16 Auto came to becoming a hydro 2 wheeler, had it all figured out (well kind of anyways) then I came to my senses.

And what did your senses tell you?

#25 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 643 Thanks
  • 750 posts

Posted April 11, 2014 - 09:08 AM

And what did your senses tell you?

Leave it a 4 wheel machine.  That big Kohler would have been a bugger to locate to keep the machine balanced and I pretty much would have lost the ability to run most pto driven attachments without major fabrication to them.  I garden in raised beds so all my uses are either mowing, snow removal, or hauling.  I took the easy/lazy way out, besides if I feel the need to walk a tractor I have a Gravely 2 wheeler.

• boyscout862 and LilysDad have said thanks

#26 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

--Crazy about GTTalk-- 'sort of'

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 11,417 Thanks
  • 8,671 posts

Posted April 11, 2014 - 09:20 AM

Leave it a 4 wheel machine.  That big Kohler would have been a bugger to locate to keep the machine balanced and I pretty much would have lost the ability to run most pto driven attachments without major fabrication to them.  I garden in raised beds so all my uses are either mowing, snow removal, or hauling.  I took the easy/lazy way out, besides if I feel the need to walk a tractor I have a Gravely 2 wheeler.

I can see that. I think an 8 horse or smaller with a stick shift would be a better choice. I think operating a hydro stick would require a third hand.

#27 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 643 Thanks
  • 750 posts

Posted April 11, 2014 - 12:55 PM

I can see that. I think an 8 horse or smaller with a stick shift would be a better choice. I think operating a hydro stick would require a third hand.

My Gravely has a 12HP on it and most of the time its more than enough, only time I could use more HP is blowing deep wet snow, an 8 HP would be just fine on a Gravely for 80% of my uses. 

I think one could make a travel control very similar to the throttle control and you could then adjust ground speed without letting go of the grips,, one would want to mechanically limit just how fast the hydro could go as nearly all 4 wheel hydros will exceed a walking pace, and put something in place so you couldn't accidently get into reverse and run yourself over.

• LilysDad said thank you

#28 B10Dave OFFLINE  

B10Dave

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1808
  • 470 Thanks
  • 287 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 08:38 PM

Well; having read this post from the start my only comment is..."why try to reinvent the wheel?' A Simplicity model W will do everything GT_Hacker wants to do. Impliments available include several models of cultivator, several sizes of turning plow, snow blade, sickle bar mower, reel type mower, rotary mower, cord wood saw, two sizes of rototiller, ride on roller, ride on dump cart and several more I have not mentioned. It has 8HP and a three speed with reverse trans axle assembly the same as used on the early 4 wheel Simplicity GTs. Personally I don't think the package can be improved on for any where near the cost of looking for the aforementioned set up. However; being that I am a Simplicity collector I may be a little biased!!!....Dave

• MH81 said thank you

#29 brokenot OFFLINE  

brokenot
  • Member No: 9519
  • 11 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 05:39 AM

If you want to build a walk-behind tractor, spend some time on YouTube and check out some of the stuff people have built from whatever they happen to have lying around already. Pay particular attention to some of the machines built in other countries. As much as it pains me to say it, in this country we've become a bit too "throw it away and BUY a new one", rather than scratching our heads, seeing what we have available....and then building something we can use ourselves.

Here's one example....I chose this one to post because the bits and pieces obviously came from several sources. Pretty it is not. But that's part of its charm:

• MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#30 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12382
  • 402 Thanks
  • 302 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 08:50 AM

I like the spark plug stuck in the the transmission to plug a hole !