Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

No Spark On The 1948 Briggs Zz. Found Some Issues.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 classic ONLINE  

• Member No: 52970
  • 3,397 Thanks
  • 1,578 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 09:03 AM

I checked for spark on the ZZ I picked up yesterday and nothing. It turned out that someone had the flywheel off and the flywheel was only snug on the shaft. At least it made it easy to take apart. First of all, the condenser is missing completely, so I ordered an NOS one from ebay. Secondly, the spark plug wire was detached from the coil, so I will solder that back in place and hope that the coil is OK. And lastly, there is a little slop in the crank shaft bushing, so I located an NOS bushing kit and crankshaft seal and ordered those. I want to get the engine running before I tear it down for a rebuild. I'm not sure if I'll have it bored or just rering it. I'll have to get some measurements when I get to that point.
I'm in search of a tin head cover and an air cleaner assembly for this Briggs ZZ if anybody has them. I'm all pumped up on getting this Mighty Might tractor back in shape!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20140410_084045-1.jpg

Edited by classic, April 10, 2014 - 06:20 PM.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#2 DougT ONLINE  

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,527 Thanks
  • 4,182 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 09:09 AM

Measure the resistance from where the plug wire hooks on to ground. You should get somewhere in the 5-10K ohm range. Looks like it has had a replacement coil at some time. The originals were black wrapping.

• Bolens 1000, powerking56, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 08:36 PM

You need to get ahold of Will Woodard out of Fredericksburg VA if you want ZZ parts.  He'll have them for you. 

PM me and I'll give you his contact info.

Ben W.

• classic said thank you