Garden Tractor Forums banner

Got The Greenhouse Bulit!

471 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  TAHOE 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Finally got it finished, just in time to get the plants moved out, we have approximately seven thousand plants.

This is going to be our cold weather greenhouse, that's why it has the dirt piled around it.

We have been having 30mph winds from the north, west and the south for the past several days. So far it's still standing!

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks,

No it's at ground level, I already had the dirt sitting there so I thought it would be good insulation.

Although digging out the floor is a good idea.

Next we need to finish the other greenhouse, it's over 3X the size of this one.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks,

We built this for less then $200, the hoops are PVC pipe, we had the plastic already, then we used utility polls sunk into the ground a couple feet. The sides are made of pallets from the Kubota Tractor dealer, the gray/white tarp is from the COOP, it was used to cover a huge pile of wheat all winter. We used the tarp to cover the pallets so the dirt isn't against the wood to help prevent rot.

If you do use PVC pipe for a greenhouse, be sure the pipe is covered because the PVC messes with the greenhouse plastic and it makes it age really fast, the plastic will get very brittle and fall apart.

Here is a picture of the greenhouse before we had it finished, you can see how it was built a little better.

So far the greenhouse is still standing, tonight it was 55 outside and it was 72 with 60% humidity in the greenhouse and that was when the sun was setting.

Attachments

#11 ·
Thanks.

I knew the PVC will get brittle with any UV rays from sun, the gray electrical PVC works well for that.

I like hwo you re-purpose everything, nice job!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.