skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 03:14 AM

They are all the same on the open sided machines and can be swapped around. ALL the rear brackets are the same from 1972- 1983.
The front bracket/belt tensioner system and the bearings along the shaft that differ from model to model.
The front belt tensioner/ mount chenged when they mounted the engine on rubber. Note; the newer version will work on all of them but the older one only works on the open side rigs. 2 reasons for this are the way it tensions the belt and that it also allows for movement of the engine.
  • ChopRod said thank you

#32 megs13421 OFFLINE  

megs13421
  • Member No: 57166
  • 1 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 03:38 PM

Theres 1" flat bar 1/4" thick on the right side goes forward to the lift, along with the pivot for the top link, dont happen to have my tiller on so the lift bar isnt connected to the pivot but I took this pic earlier today

Thank you!! Now jim can fabricate anything, can you show me so I can show him? We do not have the bar, but that side of the tiller has the holes on the side bar. Also the tractor has no lifting handle as there is no mower deck.  It was taken off, so the tiller could be used.  Any pictures and/or dimensions would be great.

Thanks  

#33 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 09:16 PM

I'll be working on the tiller tomorrow, will take some pics then;)
  • megs13421 said thank you

#34 megs13421 OFFLINE  

megs13421
  • 1 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted May 21, 2014 - 03:31 PM

I'll be working on the tiller tomorrow, will take some pics then;)

Thank you !   :wave:  Any pictures, dimensions, description would be great.  Like I said, this was his fathers, and he is trying to finish what he started. And we need to till the lawn. 

#35 ChopRod OFFLINE  

ChopRod
  • Member No: 50072
  • 52 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted May 21, 2014 - 05:37 PM

They are all the same on the open sided machines and can be swapped around. ALL the rear brackets are the same from 1972- 1983.
The front bracket/belt tensioner system and the bearings along the shaft that differ from model to model.
The front belt tensioner/ mount chenged when they mounted the engine on rubber. Note; the newer version will work on all of them but the older one only works on the open side rigs. 2 reasons for this are the way it tensions the belt and that it also allows for movement of the engine.

Thanks for the info. I bought the 145 closed side with pto and the well used tiller for $250. WIll check when I go to swap it over. Can't rmember if it had the right top shaft for the tiller. HAve another 165 with pto and 3pt in the wings, though. One of my 145's and the 165 or both 1976 models with bolt in engines which may help with the pto mounting. Found a rusted '77 up 145 with 3 pt, tiller and pto that a smartass golf course owner says he still uses! What a bunch of BS! Its been sitting out so long that its all brown rust and we thought it wan an olde Cub! Someday- he says- he'll put a for sale sign on it. Yeah... right.

#36 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted May 21, 2014 - 09:05 PM

heres a few pics of the sleeve and tiller setup on my 145, as far as I know its all oem parts, the flat bar going forward to the lift arm is 37" between hole centers, it gets pinned to main lift arm on both the hydro and gearbox models so the sissor for the deck can be removed for tilling, mine is still on because I wont be leaving the tiller on.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2014-05-21 17.01.12.jpg
  • 2014-05-21 17.01.19.jpg
  • 2014-05-21 17.01.35.jpg
  • 2014-05-21 17.02.02.jpg
  • 2014-05-21 17.50.36.jpg
  • 2014-05-21 17.50.46.jpg

#37 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 03:00 AM

Lance, there is supposed to be a spring that holds the frame up so you don't need to remove it.

#38 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 09:56 AM

Ya I just mentioned that because megs said they didnt have a mower so the sissor might not be there either, but it doesnt make any diff if it is there or not.

#39 megs13421 OFFLINE  

megs13421
  • 1 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 06:42 PM

Thank you so much!!! He says it all makes sense! Tomorrow he will get the plate and do what he needs to and he will be very happy, and his Dad would love it.

And thank you all!!! 

#40 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 07:38 PM

Just as a side note:

I had a look at the lift arm on my 77 closed  LGT100 w/tiller, and the arm  is slotted at the tiller end.

Approximate centers would be 28-1/2" and 31" from the tractor end.

I'm not sure what the difference means/

There is a difference between the gear and hydro setups. The brake band on the gear setup is on the outboard right side of the frame

On my hydro, the  brake setup is inboard of the frame on the left.

Edited by Chopperhed, May 22, 2014 - 08:35 PM.

#41 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 08:43 AM

A slotted bar would allow the tiller to be pushed up if you hit a rock or tree root, might be something they started on later models, and its probably a good idea, both my Fords are pre '76 openside and have identical bars with just a round hole, one is hydro, the other is gearbox. Maybe the differance in length is post '77 models?? Dunno

To check how long of bar you need I think you could have the tiller attached and set it on a something so it has 3 or 4 inches clearance to the ground, then set the lift at max hieght, measure the distance from pin to pin, if you want a slotted bar the slot would be to the inside of that measurement.
  • TomLGT195 and megs13421 have said thanks

#42 megs13421 OFFLINE  

megs13421
  • 1 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 06:52 PM

A slotted bar would allow the tiller to be pushed up if you hit a rock or tree root, might be something they started on later models, and its probably a good idea, both my Fords are pre '76 openside and have identical bars with just a round hole, one is hydro, the other is gearbox. Maybe the differance in length is post '77 models?? Dunno

To check how long of bar you need I think you could have the tiller attached and set it on a something so it has 3 or 4 inches clearance to the ground, then set the lift at max hieght, measure the distance from pin to pin, if you want a slotted bar the slot would be to the inside of that measurement.

Thanks for the extra info.  how thick is the bar, how much of a bend, how long is the bar, did you make this or is it oem, not the it matters,how long is the slot? Questions he always has questions

#43 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 08:35 PM

Thanks for the extra info.  how thick is the bar, how much of a bend, how long is the bar, did you make this or is it oem, not the it matters,how long is the slot? Questions he always has questions

The bar is 1-1/2" x 3/8 Flat bar, 33" long OAL.

I have no idea whether its OEM or not, but I suspect it is

Also some tweaks may need to be made. When I built the lift bar for the 3 point hitch on the 100, I had to dogleg the bar to clear the brakes. On a hydro, you probably won't have to.

I suspect the difference in Over All Length is the difference between mounting point at the rear axle.

The tiller on hydros mounts  directly to the rear axle housings. On the 100, the lower attachment point is a few inches behind the axle, on a bracket bolted to the frame. The hydro should use the longer bar.

Attached Thumbnails

• Tiller_Lift_bar.png

Edited by Chopperhed, May 23, 2014 - 09:00 PM.

#44 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 02:32 AM

Bars on my both my setups are a little smaller, 1" to 1 1/4 by 3/8. two slight bends one at either end creates a dog leg but a straight bar would probably clear the brake just fine, you're likely only gonna use it twice a year so dont need to over complicate things. I would say the biggest concern is making sure the drive shaft to the rear is perfectly straight otherwise it might vibrate alot, and use lots of grease in the short drive shaft from tractor to the tiller, they are usually abit sloppy. They are nice tillers to use, only need about half throttle, I prefer using it on the gearbox tractorbut the hydro works fine also.

#45 megs13421 OFFLINE  

megs13421
  • 1 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 05:57 PM

While it took a weekend of chasing some parts and a new belt, he is now outside tilling the side lots :wave:  :D  :smilewink: I know his Dad is looking down and grinning.  

I also know that it could not have been done without all of you.  Thank you for all your help and trust me, I know there will be more questions :smilewink:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lgt, ford, value, rare