lgt ford value rare

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 ChopRod OFFLINE  

• Member No: 50072
  • 52 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted April 09, 2014 - 10:22 PM

Am fairly new to the GT world and have become interested in the Ford LGT open sided models. Not sure if my Ford/New Holland 555D backhoe I bought several years ago had anything to do with it or not? Always liked the Ford 8000 & 9000 series tractors. Pretty big statement from a Cockshutt tractor guru! But I'm not color blind.
Have a set of hydro's: 125, 145, 165 and an extra 145. All run, are clean original paint, original seats, light package on each as well. One with blade and wheel weights. No 3pt or pto's. Average purchase price has ranged in the $700-800. Seems high compared to what I've seen elswhere. They have the usual sloppy steering that the Fords are known for from what I hear. Could use some fine tuning but haven't had the time this winter.
Am wondering if there are any production numbers and which models would be the least common - most common etc. Have the chance to buy a nice running original Ford LT 75 with deck. Not sure if I want it unless its sort of rare.
Attached are pic's of one of the 145's and the 165. If there is anyone in teh Wooster Ohio area in to the Fords, let me know.
Any input on this would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2013-12-05 Ford LGT 145 & 165 002.jpg

• sacsr, tinbender7, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,355 Thanks
  • 3,126 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 03:26 AM

Welcome Keith , we now have two of us Ford LGTguys! LOL
TheLittle LT 75 was quite common and built by Jacobsen. The LGT that was probably the rarest would be the LGT 195 made in the 80's.
All the open sided units were quite common.
And the steering slop also . But that was easily fixed on the open sided machines by first replacing the pivot bushings and pin, then ajusting out the slop in the steering box.
  • tinbender7, boyscout862 and ChopRod have said thanks

#3 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 04:31 AM

Theres more than two of you...lol. I have an lgt 165 and an lgt 100, the open side lgts are my favorite as far as looks, but no they aren't rare, but some ppl do ask ridiculous prices for them. They are also built by Jacobsen, saw a pic of an Oliver the other day is the same tractor aswell. At 850 lbs they are a decent tractor but not a heavy weight, alot of guys like a fel on them. I 'think' the lights were standard on all 125/145/165 models, none on my 100 tho.

I paid $300 for my 165 without a PTO, I paid $270 for the 100 with a pto and tiller although it wouldnt start at the time... but I did get it running without additional cost. I like them, the foot hydro on the 165 is real nice to drive, the gearbox 100 seems like it will pull real good but I havent hooked a plough to it yet. Fiberglass grill wasnt such a good idea, neither was the plastic batt cover.

here's my 165
  • tractorgarden, tinbender7, ChopRod and 1 other said thanks

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,118 Thanks
  • 5,668 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 05:44 AM

:welcometogttalk:104.jpg    Me too.

• tinbender7 and ChopRod have said thanks

#5 sacsr OFFLINE  

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,253 Thanks
  • 3,279 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 06:53 AM

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have a nice and almost complete collection of Fords.

#6 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,378 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 07:13 AM

I've got one too. Has a deck with it.

• tinbender7, ChopRod, Gabriel and 2 others have said thanks

#7 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

• Member No: 20120
  • 1,842 Thanks
  • 1,064 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 07:25 AM

I have a LT75, LGT 100 Closed side, and a LGT165 Open side.

none of them were over 250.00

Around here they are uncommon, but I wouldn't class them as rare.

I only know of 3 others in the province with Fords.

Edited by Chopperhed, April 10, 2014 - 07:26 AM.

• tinbender7, ChopRod and propane1 have said thanks

#8 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,379 Thanks
  • 3,958 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 07:47 AM

Welcome, Keith!

• ChopRod and Gabriel have said thanks

#9 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,112 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 08:02 AM

Welcome to the forum.As you can see there is a bunch of us Ford owners. I have 3 a 100, a LGT 165 open side , and a LGT 165 closed side.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_9527.JPG

• IamSherwood, ChopRod, Gabriel and 1 other said thanks

#10 boyscout862 ONLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,454 Thanks
  • 7,345 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 08:07 AM

Welcome to GTT. I have an LGT120, 125 and 145. By the condition of the two in the picture you did well on your prices. I paid less for mine but none are running and all are rusty. You can download manuals from our manuals section. Good Luck, Rick

• tinbender7, ChopRod and propane1 have said thanks

#11 Oldford OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 569 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 01:36 PM

You guys have it good for old Fords this ad is typical of them near me

Ford tractor - $400 (auburn)

I have a 198? Ford garden tractor which has been in the bard for 10 yrs now an I jus brang it home.17 or 18 hp all steel chassis it worked in its day an still will with some TLC . Battery,carbs.orignal tires in good shape. Iam told it has a three point hitch which has never been used. This tractor is old school with a massive frame an all steel body. I threw out mower deck yrs ago to retire it for jus a garden tactor to live out the rest of its days. I have not the time to oinvest in her. Motor is stong an ran when I put it in the barn the motor is not seized agood old oil change an filters all around an some loving time would make her happy again . Looking for trades maybe a mini bike or gocart for grand kids try me

I will just point out some of the typical crap i have to deal with locally first is the year "198?" they always round up a decade or so.  Of course "it worked in its day"... its day was 40 years ago and everything that rolled off the assembly line worked in its day... for how long after that is a crap shoot

Then it's downhill.  He doesn't know what year it is or when it last ran but knows it "will with some TLC."  Says it ran 10 years ago but if we remember how he rounded up on the year then it's probably safe to round that 10 year figure down another decade or so when it last ran.

"I am told there is a three point hitch which has never been used" that could be worthwhile but Maine is a big state and usually taking a chance on a sketchy ad doesn't pay off with hidden gems you trade time and gas money for aggravation based on what "somebody was told."  This guy was told there would be cake and look where it got him

Then the "pics" really just 2 pics of the same shot.  All those open holes and it's been sitting out for who knows how long.  Yep, $400 or he's going to take it to scrap same as the mower deck and take his grandkids out for ice cream on the proceeds.

This is typical for these around here last fall 2 of them went for over a grand apiece with snowblowers, one open, one closed, lousy pics and description on them too.

Now he may know what he's talking about (though the ad points the other way) and he may be an honest old man (but plenty of sellers aren't and some of them are old, age doesn't mean honest). 

Unfortunately the one thing he knows is that he's going to get close to his asking price.  If not, everybody into these old tractors knows he'll just scrap it.  I don't know scrap prices but I'd rather send something to a good home for a low price make everybody happy.  Just don't get the attitude of people these days.

It's not all bad here 60s fords still pretty cheap... until the owners die, then the grandkids hack them up... then scrap them for cigarette money... ahhhhhhh......

Glad to see the rest of the country still gets good deals on old fords and keeps them running

• boyscout862 and ChopRod have said thanks

#12 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 478 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 01:36 PM

I guess I am into that series of gts. Considering that I am reproducing parts for them!HAha

#13 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 02:31 PM

I see alot of ads asking for alot of money, but I doubt they actually get those prices, a guy in BC that turned down my original offer on his 3 tractors has now called me twice in 6 months so he's still sitting on those junkers, and a guy in sask called me a couple weeks ago, his original ad asked for $3000 for a 165 with a blown motor but a bunch of nice attachments, now he's asking 1500 but he also thinks the snowblower alone is worth $650.

Seems alot of ppl think these are rare but there's actually alot of them around. Ive been running a wanted ad on kijiji for nearly a year now specifically For LGT tractors/attachments and Ive turned down quite a few so called rare and collectable tractors... but Im collecting a few also, hope to go check out a non-runner for $200 this weekend.

There is also quite a few more LGT owners over at MTF but folks that dont visit forums dont realize how common these tractors are I guess.
  • boyscout862 and ChopRod have said thanks

#14 propane1 ONLINE  

• Member No: 54307
  • 5,862 Thanks
  • 3,107 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 02:42 PM

i have some too. Noel

• ChopRod and Gabriel have said thanks

#15 propane1 ONLINE  

• Member No: 54307
  • 5,862 Thanks
  • 3,107 posts