#1 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,579 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted April 09, 2014 - 12:08 PM

I ma considering selling both these machines. I am going to be moving, need the room and I will never get around to these projects nor really have interest in either.

Just checking to see if anyone may want one.

I have or can get more Speedex pics, but Gravely is currently buried in barn where I cannot get pics.

Gravely, not sure of year, late 60's? My dad used it at a local bank for years to clear snow, they gave it to him in mid 90's when they got rid of it. We tried to get it running in '98, had a weak spark and could get a couple fires out of it, but never running. Been sitting in barn ever since. Comes with snow blade and 30" bush hog.

I'm selling for my mom since she technically inherited when dad passed.

Putting sale on this on hold for a bit, it appears I was a little to quick on the trigger to sell.

talntedmrgreen...no eyeballing the HB :poke:  :D

photobucket-6778-1381011910226_zpsfd6b69

photobucket-7502-1381012123792_zps9903c0

photobucket-7376-1381012162421_zps9fca5b

photobucket-8964-1381012142058_zps4ef781

This is one of the Speedex's I picked up in a package deal. PO had a 9 Hp diesel mounted to it, but kept that. He said he was using it to cut grass last summer. Has no motor currently, but does have a 44" (???) mowing deck I think that PO has welded to frame and was direct drive to motor. It had been heavily repainted and I cannot make out the stampings on the frame, I have no idea model #. I think it has a 3spd plus reverse?

Rear tires are loaded, one front rim came apart when I air it up, I think the other front has a worn out hub bearing.

I like this one better than the round hood, but daughter likes the other one and it has motor so I am keeping it.....for now.

Sold- pending payment and pickup

2013-11-29_12-57-18_668_zpse69b78ce.jpg

2013-11-29_13-58-55_455_zps34b83468.jpg

2013-11-29_13-58-27_625_zpse2104476.jpg

2013-11-29_13-10-12_131_zps6c51664a.jpg

Edited by TAHOE, April 10, 2014 - 09:01 AM.

• Texas Deere and Horse and GlenPettit have said thanks

#2 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,700 Thanks
  • 2,917 posts

Posted April 09, 2014 - 12:42 PM

That is a nice Gravely.  The serial number puts it as a 1952 model, assuming that the serial tag is original.  I know that the oil bath air filter is an indicator of at least pre 1965 or so.  It has the governor, which is a nice addition.  The mower deck is the so-called "6 bolt" model, a bit heavier than the earlier "4-bolt" decks.  Also has the "5 hp" engine, though I doubt anyone would notice any meaningful difference for most jobs between that and a later engine.

Weak spark is often an indicator of a bad condenser.  I'd talk with Ben, get points and condenser and a new plug and spend a bit of time on it and double the asking price and it would still be a nice deal.

• Texas Deere and Horse and TAHOE have said thanks

#3 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,579 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted April 09, 2014 - 01:32 PM

1952?? Wow, I didn't realize it was that old, maybe I need to rethink selling it. It's all original, dad started at the bank right after they bought it for snow removal, that's all it ever did it's whole life so it's actually a lower hour engine. He said they quit using it in the late 80's when they began paying for snow removal.

Gas tank is empty and pretty clean IIRC

I bought the deck separate from the mower about the time we tried starting it, I had plans to get it running so we could bush hog he field. My dad used to use an old hand scythe to cut it every summer.

there is a retored one, 1948, on Cincy CL for 1200.

When dad and I tried starting, we knew very little, way before I got into any knowledge of small engines. It has just a pull strap to start, after a few pulls we were both exhuasted. I would need to rig up a belt between it and the sears to see if I could jump start that way, like the pullers do!

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,762 posts

Posted April 09, 2014 - 02:34 PM

I want the Speedex but it's too far away.

#5 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,700 Thanks
  • 2,917 posts

Posted April 09, 2014 - 02:37 PM

When dad and I tried starting, we knew very little, way before I got into any knowledge of small engines. It has just a pull strap to start, after a few pulls we were both exhuasted. I would need to rig up a belt between it and the sears to see if I could jump start that way, like the pullers do!

A number of years back I had been out of town for a week during the summer and my wife wanted to surprise me and mow the yard.  All I had at the time was my 74 pull start Gravely to cut grass with.  She didn't know I always shut the gas off, so she goes out and starts pulling till she can't pull anymore, then enlists the aid of a rather brawny neighbor, a Sherrif's deputy.  He wore himself out also, kept asking her how I did it.   They ended up having to push it back into the shed!

I once used a belt between my pull-start Gravely and my Massey to get the Gravely to start when it was balky.  That was the time when a few month old sparkplug went bad on me.

#6 anixon92 OFFLINE  

anixon92

• Member No: 1118
  • 18 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted April 09, 2014 - 05:13 PM

why is everything soooo far away

#7 searstractorfan OFFLINE  

searstractorfan
  • Member No: 53452
  • 122 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted April 09, 2014 - 06:32 PM

Uhg dude I'd love that speedex for $200!! Crap I need room!! And keep the gravely I'll help ya get it running!! The engine and tractor is made by studebaker or Packard if I remember correctly!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,634 Thanks
  • 1,671 posts

Posted April 09, 2014 - 08:43 PM

WIth the Gravely, clean the points, gap the plug. spin the crankby hand backward till you hit the compression stroke (you will know). Wrap the strap,set the choke, give it a pull. As much as I hate pull starting an engine,my gravelys have always hit on the 1st or 2nd pull when they were setup properly.

You can test for spark by truning the crank (forward) by hand. the snap coupling in the magneto will give a spark everytime the magento clicks. Do it without the spark plug in but have it attached and grounded to the engine.

• Texas Deere and Horse and TAHOE have said thanks

#9 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,579 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 09:06 AM

The Speedex is sold pending payment/pickup.

Jon, you need to save your $$$ for your pullers anyway,.... and your GF  :poke:  :rolling:  :rolling:

I am putting Gravely sale on hold for a bit until I can figure out what I got. I didn't realize it was that old and could actually be an easy fix.

I also already have a committed offer on Gravely if I do decide to sell.

Thanks all, this is a great site. :thumbs:

#10 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,634 Thanks
  • 1,671 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 08:50 PM

Keep us posted on the gravely fix when you get around to it. I dont know how I survived without my L8 for so long.

• TAHOE said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: for sale, gravely, walk behind, speedex