• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,456 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 08:26 AM

First of all this is the first time I have belonged to a forum, so I hope I'm doing it right.
Thanks to all of you that have responded, I don't have much experience as a mechanic, but have the internet and books. Guess I'll learn as I go.

:wave: Welcome to the forum! I think you made a good choice joining us here. Lots of folks willing to lend an ear and help you out. These folks like pics, so you will need to get the camera out. It's pretty easy to upload the pics. Check out this video.

• retired and broke said thank you

#17 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 08:55 AM

Welcome to GTtalk.  Once you start working on the JD you may find you like tinkering with tractors.  They are not that difficult and I think very rewarding.  There are plenty of very knowledgeable members on here that will be able to help you out, all you need to do is ask.

• retired and broke said thank you

#18 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,314 Thanks
  • 4,663 posts

Posted April 11, 2014 - 07:34 AM

First of all this is the first time I have belonged to a forum, so I hope I'm doing it right.
Thanks to all of you that have responded, I don't have much experience as a mechanic, but have the internet and books. Guess I'll learn as I go.

Hey-  I'm 'Mechanically Inclined'!!  I can screw up anything!   :hitting_self_roller:  :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:

Enjoy the 314!!

• GTpicker01 and retired and broke have said thanks

#19 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted April 16, 2014 - 10:53 PM

Welcome!

A 314 is a good tractor.  The steering set-up on the 314/317 is different than the rest of the 300 series.  If it is loose look a the following items:

- end links on tie rod between front tires

- front axle pivot point (the 314 I owned needed a bushing replace in this area)

- the bushing where the steering comes through the frame on the left side of the tractor  (my 314 needed this replaced)

- Steering box (a service manual gives instructions on how to tighten the steering box)

A service manual would be a great asset to go along with your machine.  I picked a copy of the service manual on ebay for $25 or so.

#20 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted April 17, 2014 - 11:51 PM

untitled welcome.png

Welcome and great buy!