- - - - -

Trying To Start A Long Sitting Ford 1500

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

• Member No: 47170
  • 182 Thanks
  • 264 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 11:50 AM

Finally got my 1500 home and getting a good look at it. Sheetmetal ain`t bad  and the parts under the sheetmetal look Ok.

I`m trying to get ready to try to start it. Tranny oil looks, good engine oil is black , add some water and look for leaks...get a battery and hook it up. I`m gonna unhook the fuel line from the tank and drain it. I hesitant to change fuel filter because of the air in injectors problems....at least till I get it to bark a little. I` m sure it would be better to change but want to keep the air out as much as possible to begin with. I have some new glow plugs that should fit.... may go ahead and install .

What else do I need to look at and just to see if thing is gonna run..... Would ether be be a help. I know if I do it, it needs to be very, very little. Will try for a while without it first.

Also Anybody know of any boneyards with some of these 1500 series tractors

Thanks for any advice and help

• 182 Thanks
  • 264 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 11:53 AM

Also any recommendations on a good starting battery for a diesel....reserve minutes vs cranking amps etc......???

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,467 Thanks
  • 7,351 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 01:02 PM

I would do the engine oil change. Seen bearings spin on engines that were sitting for a long time. Replace the fuel filter and bleed the system to remove old fuel. This may protect the injectors from wax.  When playing with a new engine or an engine that has been sitting, I like to slowly turn the engine over before starting it. This will prime the oil all through the engine and reduce the problem of dry bearings. You have a really neet tractor, baby it until it is completely awakened. Good Luck, Rick

• SNUFFY said thank you

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 01:44 PM

My 1500 had not been sitting long when I bought it. The previous owner started it when I got there. Yours should have a sediment bowl on the the bottom of the tank, you could drain w/o getting air in the lines. Mine had been taken off and an inline filter put in the line ahead of the pump. I had a gelling issue last winter and changed the filter, the lines bled easy after. I simply took them off at the injector and put them back once foel got that far.  The throttle lever shuts off the fuel so you could crank till oil pressure comes up before pulling the lever down to start. The previous owner had never turned off the fuel(shutoff was stuck till I worked it loose) and mine was a little over full, so I Changed the oil as soon as I got home. As far as black oil goes in a diesel that is common and after changing it will probably be black after an hour of running the machine.  I replaced my battery last winter and if I remember right I bought one at the farm & home that was rated at 750 cranking amps at 30 degrees.  These engines are very dependant on the glow plugs!! Turn your switch left till the filement glows bright red(the chrome cap on the dash with the peephole). Crank it a few times and if it does not fire go back to the plugs. I'm betting it will fire right up.

I know of a salvage yard that has a 1710 but have not seen any 1500's besides mine in this area.

Edited by JD DANNELS, April 08, 2014 - 01:45 PM.

• boyscout862 and SNUFFY have said thanks

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 03:03 PM

I wouldn't replace any injectors until I was sure the ones in there were bad. I'm with the others, oil change and fuel system flush before running it. I'd give the whole tractor a good once over looking for leaks, broken or damaged wires etc. 

• boyscout862 and SNUFFY have said thanks

• 182 Thanks
  • 264 posts

Posted April 09, 2014 - 01:13 PM

Thanks guys ...all good advice. Got a little time yesterday  and filled the radiator...only took a half gallon...hopefully the rest has antifreeze in it. No leaks and didn`t drop after I filled it. Drained the fuel tank and it looked nice and pink. Started to grind (disc was too small to get all the way to the shaft) the steering wheel hub off and after looking under dash I believe it may be manual steering after all. Don`t know what kind of steering wheel they`ve got on here but it don`t match anything in my parts book.... Closer to power steering than anything. Had a couple of onces of oil that ran out of dipstick hole. Will drain and change to see if there anything foreign in it. Put a 3/8 drive socket on crankshaft and it turned easily with 2 fingers......Good thing.

Will update as I get into it more....dang work is in the way.