• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SamMC OFFLINE  

SamMC
  • Member No: 30776
  • 208 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted April 07, 2014 - 06:32 PM

The Trd-10 in the Bolens is producing no spark. Points look good and the condenser isn't swollen or discolored. The wiring in the whole machine is kind of a hacked together mess. I am kind of at a loss. Thinking maybe I will convert to a battery and coil ignition. Any thoughts. Anyone know what coil would be best, I assume that I want one with an internal resistor. Sure could use some input.

#2 SamMC OFFLINE  

SamMC
  • 208 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted April 07, 2014 - 06:37 PM

I found this on Simple Tractors website. Mr Williams if you are on this board thank you for the excellent article.

http://www.simpletra...eto_to_coil.htm

• Alc said thank you

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 07, 2014 - 10:29 PM

Just as a thought, the conversion from battery to magneto may be more expensive than repairing the magneto system. 

You will know if the magneto system works if you disconnect any wire running to the engine.  If it has fire, then your wiring is at fault.  The magneto was made by Wico.  Everything you need for it is still available from me and others. 

A magneto needs essentially one wire for a kill switch, you ground the wire to shut off the engine.

Battery ignition needs a hot wire for power, so a new ignition switch will be required. 

If you decide to convert, get an auto parts store coil rated "professional".  That's what car restorer's use, and they are long lasting since those boys are picky. 

Ben W.

• SamMC said thank you

#4 SamMC OFFLINE  

SamMC
  • 208 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 04:53 AM

Thanks Ben! I am going to pull everything apart over the next few days, I will get a look at the wiring. One of the problems I see now is that someone has spliced the cable that runs to the spark plug, is this a replaceable part or will I need a new magneto? Also, I have read that sometimes the magnets have to be re-polarized. Is this something that a local shop can do?

• superaben said thank you

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 05:29 AM

Thanks Ben! I am going to pull everything apart over the next few days, I will get a look at the wiring. One of the problems I see now is that someone has spliced the cable that runs to the spark plug, is this a replaceable part or will I need a new magneto? Also, I have read that sometimes the magnets have to be re-polarized. Is this something that a local shop can do?

The spark plug wire is removable.  I would replace it if it has been spliced.  Part number YL339B-20.  I make them here, too.

The magnets should never need to be charged.  However, if for some strange reason they do, send it off to a magneto shop.  Most local shops do not have a recharger, and if they do, they most likely don't know how to use it.  That may not be true, that's just my experience.

Ben W.

• SamMC said thank you

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 06:26 PM

Sorry I didnt get to this thread sooner, I missed it :wallbanging:

I would go with OEM if possible, you will save yourself time and money keeping your original switch and magneto assembly. Coils can be Pricey and the Ignition switches for these Bolens 1050's with coil ignition are not cheap!

The Magneto is also very simple and easy to maintain as far as wiring and not always needing a battery to get your engine started.

Have you replaced your condenser?  If not Its worth a shot , also is your brass terminal strip intact in your points box? often those will crack off and lose connection since they are so thin and bend easily.

• SamMC said thank you

#7 SamMC OFFLINE  

SamMC
  • 208 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 07:51 PM

I really appreciate the input from those who have done this before. I will replace the wiring and the parts in the breaker box. The engine work will start in earnest this weekend or next I am sure I will be back asking for more advice. On the bright side of all of this, the engine has really good compression so I shouldn't have to pull the top off.

Edited by SamMC, April 08, 2014 - 07:52 PM.

#8 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted April 09, 2014 - 02:49 PM

I go along with Ben and Dr bolens keep the mag---I had a wisconsin with the fairbanks mag and a come spring I would have to clean the points---Just a swipe with match book stricker and a few drops of electronic cleaner and follow that up with a piece of clean index card paper,just open the points put the paper between them then turn the motor over until points are closed and drag the paper out.Mags need clean points,

They are used in airplanes because they are very relable and the faster they turn the hotter the spark.

• SamMC said thank you