• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,104 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted April 07, 2014 - 05:02 PM

Took the head off and some other things.  Anybody have a rule of  thumb on what valve guide gap should be? I can't feel much but I am just a back mechanic, so just wondering your thoughts. Noel

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 591.jpg
  • Picture 593.jpg

• superaben said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,522 posts

Posted April 07, 2014 - 07:30 PM

These manuals will help.

http://gardentractor...service-manual/

http://gardentractor...ine-rebuilding/

http://gardentractor...service-manual/

Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, April 07, 2014 - 07:32 PM.

• propane1 said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 05:06 AM

Looks like the Head gasket was fine on it. That carbon buildup is typical in those engines. What does the cylinder wall look like?

#4 Sprint 6 ONLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 162 Thanks
  • 216 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 07:36 AM

Looks like it was burning some oil, since the side of the piston is washed clean.  I bet it has a broken ring, my LGT165 did.  They don't get kept clean due to the closed sides and run hot and pinch the rings.  Mine had a gouge down the cylinder where it broke.  Mine is now bored .020 over with new valves and rod.  The increase in power was amazing, and I thought it had power prior to the rebuild.  I got my kit from ebay, I was skeptical of quality, but it has run a season now with no problems.

#5 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • 6,104 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 05:00 PM

No broken rings. Every thing seems to be reasonable shape, All though I am only back yard mechanic. So I am going to get piston, rings, wrist pin and rod for it. From what i can see every thing is still standard size.  Any body know any thing about the balance gears? Some guys around here take them out when rebuilding. I am not a fan of removing some thing that was in there from new. They must serve a purpose. Noel  

Any information greatly appreciated, Thanks  

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 595.jpg
  • Picture 596.jpg
  • Picture 597.jpg
  • Picture 598.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#6 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 07:20 PM

Yup those balance gears serve a purpose... To completely render a perfectly good block and crank junk when they fail!! Throw them away, you really won't notice any difference.

#7 Sprint 6 ONLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 162 Thanks
  • 216 posts

Posted April 09, 2014 - 07:29 AM

For what its worth, my balance gears and bearings where in good shape, so I put them back.  Your experience may vary.

#8 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,293 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 04:32 PM

No broken rings. Every thing seems to be reasonable shape, All though I am only back yard mechanic. So I am going to get piston, rings, wrist pin and rod for it. From what i can see every thing is still standard size.  Any body know any thing about the balance gears? Some guys around here take them out when rebuilding. I am not a fan of removing some thing that was in there from new. They must serve a purpose. Noel  

Any information greatly appreciated, Thanks  

Just wondering how the engine is coming along?

Also, were the piston rings gaps in the picture staggered, or were they turned before the picture?

#9 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • 6,104 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 04:45 PM

Just got parts yesterday and in the painting stage. Will be couple of weeks before its back together. Want to take my time, not a professional engine builder. So many bolts and stuff, don't want any thing left over. Thanks for asking, Noel 

Rings got turned before picture, oil ring worn bad, compression rings not to bad.

Edited by propane1, April 27, 2014 - 04:45 PM.

• stiemmy said thank you

#10 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • 1,293 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 04:57 PM

Just got parts yesterday and in the painting stage. Will be couple of weeks before its back together. Want to take my time, not a professional engine builder. So many bolts and stuff, don't want any thing left over. Thanks for asking, Noel 

Rings got turned before picture, oil ring worn bad, compression rings not to bad.

SUPER!! Keep us posted.

#11 AlleyKatz51 OFFLINE  

AlleyKatz51
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 55758
  • 41 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 08:31 PM

My experience with the syncro-balancer is swaping out engines with half the block blown away when a balancer gear explodes. Even had a customer get his shoe blown off.  This was on the A-C 300/400 series but these are the same thing. If you leave them in you need to inspect them super good  for being loose or any sign of damage. Also they need to be properly timed to the crankshaft which we had a special tool for. Good luck.

Chuck

Edited by AlleyKatz51, April 27, 2014 - 08:35 PM.

#12 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • 6,104 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted April 28, 2014 - 05:09 PM

More say take them out than leave them in , so out they go.  Noel

#13 AlleyKatz51 OFFLINE  

AlleyKatz51
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 55758
  • 41 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted April 28, 2014 - 07:12 PM

A little more info if you do leave them out. The balancer does smoothen out the engine at low RPM. What I noticed mostly was that at idle and a little above it will act a little like a Harley at idle then smoothen out as the RPM is raised. My LGT 125 acts that way without the balancer. It isn't any problem and gets rid of what can be a serious problem.

Chuck

#14 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • 1,293 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted April 28, 2014 - 08:22 PM

Just curious, I keep seeing these threads with people saying yay more than nay about these gears supposedly BLOWING up, or exploding, but I have only seen one pic!!!!!! I would be willing to guess that there are STILL more running, than scrapped Kohler K series engines than you might think. Are there any legitimate pictures of kohlers that have NOT been spun to an RPM that will reach the moon, and if so, how many? Can't be much, cause I personally see alot of originals still goin! ( kinda makes me think of the flywheel exploding myth , "YEA I saw one, but only in pictures") Rod failures are more common than anything.

I personaly own 6 (six) Kohlers, ALL of I personally purchased used due to the FACT THAT I AM 39 years old, and all, but 1 of them are older than I am. NOT ANY of the engines that I own, do I know the complete history on, or IF regualr oil changes were done????? If it works, leave it alone. What we don't hear, is the 12 year old kid, who just got into pulling, tried getting a little more from the throttle , and then WHAT? BOOM.

If ya don't rev the snot out of it, keep regular maintenance, it should last INDEFINATELY! PERIOD. Just my take on this.

Edited by stiemmy, April 29, 2014 - 04:34 AM.