• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 chuckt OFFLINE  

chuckt
  • Member No: 54024
  • 14 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted April 07, 2014 - 04:53 PM

We had yard work done in Feb that included the removal of a dozen large Cabbage palms.
And after the debris, trunks and fronds, were remove fill was brought in for the holes.
The back yard is still a bit rutted in spots. I have been thinking of getting in some good topsoil, yellow sand in Florida, and spreading it to fill the ruts and generally smooth things up in the back yard.
So - I'm wondering if anyone here has had actual experience with one of those sleeve hitch box blades? I think they are 3' wide? And you can add extra weight (concrete blocks) to them to help make them bite in instead of gliding over the surface. Anything to them or are they simply a wallet sucker?

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk.
  • boyscout862, A.C.T., SamMC and 1 other said thanks

#2 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,387 posts

Posted April 07, 2014 - 06:17 PM

They work, but they put a good load on your transaxle. If all you're doing is moving loose media like sand and loose soil, you'll likely make out fine with a lawn tractor, but if you start scraping and digging with the box blade, which they are designed to do, a garden tractor with the heavier drivetrain designed for ground engagement, would be better.  There are people that have gotten away using a lawn tractor, but a lot have ended up with broken tranny's as well.

• trowel and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 chuckt OFFLINE  

chuckt
  • Member No: 54024
  • 14 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted April 07, 2014 - 07:37 PM

Hmm definitely something to consider.
Thanks cvt

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk.

#4 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted April 07, 2014 - 08:45 PM

I have one of those box blades.  Bought it @ an auction thinking it'd be a joke to use, but for $20 I took a chance. Once I put it on my 1614 Power King with two way hydraulics [down pressure] I was very impressed with what it would do.  

I use the big tractor with blade or three point dirt slip.  My projects are usually on a larger scale around the farm. 

Some weight would definately help if you don't have down pressure on your lift.

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 07, 2014 - 09:59 PM

Back a year or so, someone did a review on a brinley box blade on a JD 314 I think.

He had used it to do some grading and gravel work in a church parking lot with pictures.

I thought it did pretty well.  You might want to check the archives?

Think it was JD BRIAN  found it

http://gardentractor...-update/?hl=box blade

Edited by JD DANNELS, April 07, 2014 - 10:19 PM.

#6 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 04:21 AM

imagesCA2R68MX.jpg Bring it!

Edited by A.C.T., April 08, 2014 - 04:22 AM.

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 05:04 AM

Yeh, that was me using the box blade in the link above. I'd say a LT would do light work with one but a typical LT would be 2-3oo lbs lighter than a 314 so traction will be an issue as well as overloading the transmission. I'd give the tractor a break every half hour of working time to help keep the temperatures down if it's a hydro.

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 06:04 AM

Yeh, that was me using the box blade in the link above. I'd say a LT would do light work with one but a typical LT would be 2-3oo lbs lighter than a 314 so traction will be an issue as well as overloading the transmission. I'd give the tractor a break every half hour of working time to help keep the temperatures down if it's a hydro.

I agree with Brian here.

#9 SamMC OFFLINE  

SamMC
  • Member No: 30776
  • 208 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 09:09 AM

Used mine to grade my driveway Saturday, with a concrete block on it it does a fine job. My drive isn't really big so the small size is an advantage. I drag it behind my Craftsman garden tractor or my Speedex and they both do well, the Craftsman still has 23" turf tires on it but traction has not been an issue.

#10 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,494 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 11:56 AM

Here's mine on the back of my Sears 16/6. I used it this winter to move snow and then recently to grade the gravel drive. I would say for any heavy work, the LT may not be up to the challenge. If you are dumping dirt then just using bbox to spread and level topsoil, than it maybe able to handle it. My box was originally mounted to the back bar, but I moved closer to tractor, made for easier lifting. I do not use and weight, I can push down pretty good with my hitch handle for down pressure.

photobucket-7106-1385939704450_zps0c141d

photobucket-10245-1386294589543_zps25162

CAM00084_zps1e19aca8.jpg

#11 jeffy1 OFFLINE  

jeffy1
  • Member No: 55243
  • 17 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 10:59 AM

I have a grader blade it works pretty well on smoothing out the gravel in my driveway it's small gravel so I bet it would work on loose dirt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk