• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 JTS BRAZEAU OFFLINE  

JTS BRAZEAU

• Member No: 1521
  • 0 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted January 19, 2011 - 09:39 PM

This particular conversion has two challenges, the stock muffler exits directly into the battery box and the air cleaner extends outside the hood.

I originally started by attempting to use the complete stock setup. I figured this would be the easier route and since I was building it for me and not for future sale, I had no problems making the required mods. I chose to cut the battery holder and fuel tank sling so I could mount the battery sideways and use the factory muffler and fuel tank that came with the 10hp diesel. My first plan was to use a lawn tractor battery and simply turn out the muffler by adding a 90 elbow. The early set up worked but the exhaust exit was still a little tight on room due to the elbow and the fumes were a little much.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN4693.jpg
  • DSCN4763.jpg
  • DSCN4747.jpg

#17 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted January 20, 2011 - 09:53 AM

How's Massey FerguDek?

:rofl2:

JTS,

Hey, it's your project and that gives you the right to name it whatever you like. Massey Fergudek it is then. Is there room to fit that name on the hood?

Your project is really nice. I like the simplicity of it and you've demonstrated how the single air-cooled diesel engines can be a practical upgrade to replace old single cylinder gas engines. Keep up the good work!

JN

#18 JTS BRAZEAU OFFLINE  

JTS BRAZEAU

• Member No: 1521
  • 0 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted January 20, 2011 - 02:15 PM

The original throttle lever/cable is a direct fit. The only modification required is to the cable sleeve at the motor to expose more wire and allow more throttle length. The first attempt wouldn't allow enough travel to completely shut down the engine. After a couple adjustments to the sleeve it works perfectly!

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN4748.jpg

#19 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 20, 2011 - 02:28 PM

Here is the website with the specs on this engine.

http://www.dek-engin...esel-engine.htm

#20 robin OFFLINE  

robin

• Member No: 144
  • 1 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted June 12, 2011 - 10:24 PM

just curious what did you end up doing with the old motor and wondering if it is for sale

#21 MF14 plowday special OFFLINE  

MF14 plowday special

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4377
  • 33 Thanks
  • 255 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 - 09:37 PM

Thanks for sharing. Four years ago I bought (in bulk) some clone Honda and Yanmar diesel (like your engine) to resale. I was also planning to develop repower kits to sell along with the engines. Eventually I gave up ... because many tractors could not be repowered without extensive frame modifications. Models easy to repower are side drives. When the engine mounts between the rails .... the diesels will not fit because they are wider than the American made stock engine like Kohler. Your 10 hp diesel is 2 inches wider than a k321 kohler .... and thats the problem. I am sure that the M14 took some widening of the frame. A few tractors like Case, Bolens, MTD 990 etc had the engine mounted on a platform and was not between rails ... so the extra width was not an issue. Another problem is the output shaft is about 1/2 inch higher than Kohlers... which usually is a problem also. I have a tractor pulling/plowday friend who bought my engines and repowered Massey gear drives... he loves them

Thanks for sharing and I would really like to know more about the M14 project.

I had big hopes of repowering JD 140's ..... no one would want to chop up the frame of a classic tractor to install a throw away engine.

Two years ago a repowered Case 444 was sold on ebay after 3 years of mowing.... owner said it had more power than the original K321 Kohler.

These engines aren't bad for the money. One other reason I quit selling them was the importer in Michigan was undependable .... and I needed to be dependable to my customers.

I will check back here later to see the finished conversion ... Thanks

Edited by MF14 plowday special, June 29, 2011 - 09:40 PM.
spelling