• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 JTS BRAZEAU OFFLINE  

JTS BRAZEAU

• Member No: 1521
  • 0 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 08:52 PM

Since I enjoy looking at the other conversion/restoration posts here I thought I would start a thread on my diesel repower on my Hydro. Anyways, how it all started in my case was when I started developing electrical problems. I had unreliability problems and it would run for awhile and die. Like others on here I tried to isolate the culprit and changed most basic components trying to find the source. No luck. The HH120 was still strong but I made the decision to opt for something reliable and that I could obtain parts for. I toyed with the idea of the SSI conversion but I eventually decided a swap was the way to go. After getting stranded a few times and walking home, and unable to source a replacement SSI unit (which I think was the problem), I decided it was time to dieselize it!!

I have a buddy with a MF16 and a MF12. He's already repowered the MF16 and his MF12 is mid transplant right now. Having seen his MF16 diesel in action I figured this was the way to go with mine and sprung for a 10.5hp diesel with a glow plug and oiling screw option. Definitely helps in the cold Canadian winters!!!

Here's a few before shots.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN3018.jpg
  • DSCN3017.jpg
  • DSCN3016.jpg

#2 JTS BRAZEAU OFFLINE  

JTS BRAZEAU

• 0 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 09:09 PM

Since this is both a restoration and engine swap thread I'll throw in some earlier shots of the build. Now the fun begins and things are starting to take shape. Cleaned up and shot with the correct MF colours. The plastic dash was pretty rough and I had to have some plastic welding done to save it. Looks pretty good now!

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN3104.jpg
  • DSCN3075.jpg

#3 JTS BRAZEAU OFFLINE  

JTS BRAZEAU

• 0 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 09:35 PM

Here's a few more progress pics as I got to work on the hood, front grill, sleeve hitch, nose trim ring, and body panels. The hood was a work in progress and required some welding and hinge fixed. The hood picture was taken before I opened up the second light hole. The previous owner cobbled some light together that didn't fit properly (or even work for that matter). A project for later on as I still have to figure out how to rework the wiring for the lights....

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN3078.jpg
  • DSCN3079.jpg
  • DSCN3077.jpg
  • DSCN3049.jpg

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 18, 2011 - 05:32 AM

You're getting there.

#5 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted January 18, 2011 - 09:05 AM

Looking forward to updates as you progress!

JN

#6 JTS BRAZEAU OFFLINE  

JTS BRAZEAU

• 0 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted January 18, 2011 - 08:19 PM

I'm a little further on the resto/conversion than the thread shows. I completed this one in the fall but never got around to starting this build up thread until now.

Here’s a shot of the original HH120 and the new DEK diesel. It’s a 418CC that is actually a 10.5hp and is rated at 3600RPM. The last picture shows the engine with a close up of the cold weather package and has both a glow plug and oiling screw plug which is definitely needed for Canadian winters.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN4641.jpg
  • DSCN4697.jpg
  • DSCN4694.jpg

#7 JTS BRAZEAU OFFLINE  

JTS BRAZEAU

• 0 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted January 18, 2011 - 08:50 PM

Here's some pics of the gutted frame waiting for the engine.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN4645.jpg
  • DSCN4647.jpg
  • DSCN4643.jpg

#8 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted January 19, 2011 - 09:51 AM

Looking good, keep the pictures and updates coming!

So this project would be a Deksey Ferguson, right?

JN

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 19, 2011 - 11:16 AM

Jts,

Just curious, what did that engine set you back. Maybe you already posted it, but I didn't see it.

Thanks, Brian

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 19, 2011 - 11:58 AM

I would like more details on the engine as well. Mainly price and where you purchased it from and also your impressions on it after running it for a while?

I am glad to see you posting your build up and conversion, will make for a great reference for future converters. :D

#11 JTS BRAZEAU OFFLINE  

JTS BRAZEAU

• 0 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted January 19, 2011 - 04:06 PM

Looking good, keep the pictures and updates coming!

So this project would be a Deksey Ferguson, right?

JN

Ha Ha!!! Good one!! I read the thread on how to name these conversions and was wondering what to call it. Thanks for the suggestion. How's Massey FerguDek?

#12 JTS BRAZEAU OFFLINE  

JTS BRAZEAU

• 0 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted January 19, 2011 - 04:34 PM

Brian and George,

I bought the diesel new from a MTF Member for $500.00 with shipping via Fedex it was $566 to my door from Montreal. He had bought 3 or 4 motors when he did a similar conversion. He had already sold the others and when I contacted him he had 1 left which I bought. I'm not sure exactly where he originally sourced them. I haven't seen any similarly equipped motors since. In Canada Princess Auto sells diesels which is where my buddy picked up both of his used in a MF16 and a MF12 conversions.

As far as impressions. The motor is a beast! It has tons of torque and doesn't stall out like my old HH120. Some people have expressed concerns about picking up these engines because of poor quality but I haven't had any issues with it so far. Parts seem to be readily available since a lot of company's use these types of engines for generators. It's a definite upgrade.....

#13 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 19, 2011 - 07:16 PM

Keep up the good work.:thumbs:

I just watched your video,thought it was good.

Edited by mjodrey, January 19, 2011 - 07:24 PM.

#14 JTS BRAZEAU OFFLINE  

JTS BRAZEAU

• 0 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted January 19, 2011 - 07:55 PM

Keep up the good work.:thumbs:

I just watched your video,thought it was good.

mjodrey,

Thanks! That video was done right after I had figured out the electrical and was one of the first times I lit it up with the electric start. I was also still experimenting with belt length and getting the correct pulley setup. At that point I still hadn't taken it out for a spin yet!

#15 JTS BRAZEAU OFFLINE  

JTS BRAZEAU

• 0 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted January 19, 2011 - 08:55 PM

The engine turns out to be almost a direct bolt in and is fairly straightforward to fit and align. All that is required is to redrill the front engine mounting holes as you can see in the picture. The 2 rear mounting bolts are a direct fit. If you have a snowblower attachment (as I discovered), you'll also have to slightly notch out the front bracket assembly as the front engine mount bolt/nut is now in the way as they are further forward.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN4691.jpg