#1 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted April 07, 2014 - 08:11 AM

I just got this the other day, it's a Farmall 460 on propane.

The loader is in bad shape, it is welded, braced up and it needs to be welded again.

The engine turns over, this was running a couple years ago, the last owner used it to move hay.

One of the problems is, it is propane, I have no way to fill it, so I'm thinking I can just get a small 5gal tank just to get it running. I am planing on reselling this once it's running so I think the small propane tank should work.

Has anyone on here ever messed with anything LP? I know nothing about them, but I'm hoping the learn.

Thanks for any info

Attached Thumbnails

• Farmall 460 013.JPG
  • Farmall 460 014.JPG
  • Farmall 460 015.JPG
  • Farmall 460 016.JPG
  • Farmall 460 017.JPG
  • Farmall 460 018.JPG

• daytime dave, Alc and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#2 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 07, 2014 - 10:29 AM

When I worked maintainence in the factory I filled all the LP Tanks to run the forklifts. Filling was easy enough(other than needing gloves to keep from freezing your fingers closing the bleeder valve).  LP is a clean burning fuel that reduces the impurities in the oil increasing the time between changes They claim it extends the life of the engine. .  You need a Nurser tank and a pump to fuel the tank on the tractor.  I doubt a small tank would have the pressure to fuel the tank on the tractor.

Probably too expensive if you are just planning to sell the machine and not use it?  Unless you could find what you need used from someone no longer running LP?

You might check with the COOP or an LP supplier. They might be able to fill it when they are filling your home tank(That's assuming being rural your running LP for your home).  It is a good fuel once set up to use it.

My Neighbor does most of his farming with a Minneapolis Moline G1000 ( I think). running on LP and it is one sharp old tractor.

Edited by JD DANNELS, April 07, 2014 - 10:33 AM.

• Alc and BTS have said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted April 07, 2014 - 11:21 AM

The small grill tank will be emitting vapors, the little Forktruck tanks are (I think) liquid.

If you call the local gas company (where you get your acetelene, etc) they should be able to tell you what is what.

BTW, you may need to have it pressure tested before they will fill it.
  • Alc and BTS have said thanks

#4 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,115 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted April 07, 2014 - 05:17 PM

Depending on hp of tractor it may run on vapor from the tank or it may use liquid from the tank and run it to a vaporizer then to the carb. Both systems may have a fuel lock out when the key is turn off. Stops fuel in off, turns it on when key is turn on. This lock out may have a filter in it. The vaporizer is hooked into the rad hoses for heat to vaporizer the fuel from liquid to vapor. Common problems are, the filter in the lock out or the rubber diaphragm in the vaporizer. Hope this is some help, Noel     

• MH81 and BTS have said thanks

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 07, 2014 - 09:09 PM

I have filled our A/C D-14LP with a grill tank hooked up direct to the tractor tank, just turn the grill tank upside down when you are about to open the valve on the grill tank so that the vapor will be pushed in the fill hose and on into the tractor tank. You won't fill the tractor, but you will have enough fuel to run the tractor for several hours at one time.

• BTS said thank you

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 07, 2014 - 10:36 PM

That is a rare animal.  I know those LP tractors sell for big money when they appear.

Ben W.

• BTS said thank you

#7 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted April 07, 2014 - 11:16 PM

Thanks for everyone's info, I was planning on unhooking the tank on the tractor and just hooking a small tank in it's place, I figured I couldn't fill the tank off of a small tank, but I now have more confidence after reading "Texas deere and horse" post.

I'm going to give it a try to fill the tank this week and hopefully get it running soon.

I'm hoping the carb and ect is clean, I know propane doesn't get gummy like gas after sitting a long while.

This tractor is aprox 50HP, it's a big ol tractor for the hp but I'm sure this will be a beast of a tractor once I get it running.

I'm planing on making 3-point adapters for the fast hitch, I know that will increase the value, I'm also thinking about trying to patch up the loader and leave it on.

I was going to remove it, but I think I can get it welded up and back to usable condition.

Thanks again for all the info

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#8 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted April 07, 2014 - 11:17 PM

That is a rare animal.  I know those LP tractors sell for big money when they appear.

Ben W.

I sure hope so, I looked up these tractors and they seem to go for around $3,800 to $4,500 pending on location and condition.

• superaben said thank you

#9 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 05:30 AM

I sure hope so, I looked up these tractors and they seem to go for around $3,800 to $4,500 pending on location and condition.

That sounds about right to me.  I know any fuel other than gas makes the collector value sky rocket.

Ben W.

• BTS said thank you

#10 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 10:18 PM

Around here you can't throw a rock with out hitting a LP tractor, they aren't worth as much to some people because they don't want to mess with the propane. Chances are this is going to be sold to someone who is going to use it as is, not a lot of collectors around here that want tractors of this size.

#11 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 10:56 PM

Cool deal.  Looks a little weathered but just needs some tlc.  That #33 loader looks BEAT UP!  We used to have one on our Farmall M.  After we got our skid steer it got parked in the weeds till we finally just got rid of it.  Was never fond of that pipe frame style.