Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 02:00 PM

Looks like the only one that's missing is the HDT1000 which was for export only.  It has a 3-cyl water cooled Mitsubishi rated at 22 Hp. The HTD did have a longer hood, but other than that and the engine, it was identical to the HT23.

Assuming that the 2388s was produced at the same time as the 2389s, which was the late model HT23 that was produced in 1985-1987, the one I have seems to be a 2388s as it has the Power Steering, Cruise Control, and Aux. Hydro cooler just as the 2389s had, and the same basic decal style which was used on the 1985-87 HT23.

My HT23 doesn't have the hydro cooler, or power steering, though it is a 2 speed transaxle.  I got the K582 running pretty good,now, but, if I don't sell it, I know I'll want to put a diesel in it when the Kohler finally goes the way of the world.  The Mitsubishi L3 series looks like a good fit-- 3 cyl, 18-2? hp depending on model, and only about 180 lbs.

I've measured the engine at a friends, and I'll need to extend the hood a little.  I'm hoping to not have to extend the frame--just move the tank and battery mount forward, or put the radiator ahead of them and plumb back to the engine. I'll have to extend the hood at the rear of course, and also allow for the FEL on it.

Right now I'm planning to install a PS unit I bought that came off a JD 300 series.  This uses the rod actuated valve, but the cylinder is separate from the valve, with hoses that run in between.  Still not sure how to install it or where to tap into the hydro for the pressurized fluid.

Can you post some pictures of your HDT1000 that shows the frame, radiator placement, PS, hydro cooler, etc.?  If you don't want to post them on the forum, you can PM to me.

Thanks,

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, October 02, 2013 - 02:02 PM.

#17 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 03:25 PM

Bolens made 2 'different' models of the HT23.  The model 2389  from 1979-1983 and 2389from 1984-1987

The 2389s is identical to the 2389 except that they added the Power Steering, Cruise Control, and Aux Hydro cooler as 'standard' equipment.  They also changed the decals.  The "Sales Description" i.e. the HT23 designation was taken off the side of the hood, and was placed on the lower left corner of the front of the hood.

With the HDT, while they did extend the hood, they did so by just bolting a piece of flat plate (that I'm guessing is 11Ga.) to the front of the frame.  It helps support the radiator, fuel tank, and battery.

Front showing decal placement:

100_4776.JPG

You can see the Cruise Control unit just behind the starter motor.
100_4417.JPG

The control  for the Cruise is on the lower right side of the dash, but I've seen a pic of an HT23 and, if I remember right, it was placed on the upper left side, near where my Temperature gauge is:
100_4428.JPG 100_4593.JPG

"Extension plate" from the right side of the tractor:

100_4777.JPG

Battery, fuel tank, radiator, and fan placement:
100_4414.JPG

I don't have a pic of the Aux. Hydro Cooler, but it's placed on top of the rear axle housing.

Edited by OldBuzzard, October 02, 2013 - 04:05 PM.

• Zekkjacen said thank you

#18 Paulcurtis3 OFFLINE  

Paulcurtis3
  • Member No: 33047
  • 6 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 09:40 PM

Wow! I see what you mean by this being a workhorse!
  • OldBuzzard said thank you

#19 Brutusthebolens OFFLINE  

Brutusthebolens
  • Member No: 47893
  • 28 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 11:56 AM

Years of production: 1971-1972 Still used the Eaton 12 Hydrostat
This time Bolens had some Bite to it. A kohler 18HP engine was used on them. Added were" Dual hydraulics allowed for power blade angling and lifting from the driver seat. A huge new 54" center mount mower deck was easily mowing the most daunting landscapes ever seen by non-commercial property owners. Only made for two years, the 1886 saw a total of 5 production runs. The 1886-01 thru 1886-04 were nearly all identical with only minor modifications from time to time. " quoted from sonny's Bolens site

[ATTACH]1122[/ATTACH] 1971

post-8-132893599683_thumb.jpg

Post #5 of this thread!

This isn't a big deal it just strikes me.  The picture of the "1886" doesn't quite look right or is it me?  It looks like a 14HP model with 1886 decals!  If this has been caught before I apologize for calling attention to it.  Just looks wrong to me!

Mark K.

Edited by Brutusthebolens, January 15, 2014 - 11:57 AM.

#20 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 12:47 PM

Bolens Brochures were not always 100% accurate. Often times "Stock" photos were used

I know just enough to get myself in trouble with the Largeframe stuff so will wait for one of the Largeframe guys to confirm :D

I believe someone mentioned before that this picture was fishy.....

• Brutusthebolens said thank you

#21 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 12:52 PM

... It looks like a 14HP model with 1886 decals!  If this has been caught before I apologize for calling attention to it.  Just looks wrong to me!

Mark K.

That's exactly what it is.

Odds are that with the lead time needed for getting the brochure printed they hadn't even started producing the 1886, so they just put some 1886 decals on a 1476.

That has been noticed before, but there are folks that are new to the site that may not have know that.

Edited by OldBuzzard, January 15, 2014 - 12:55 PM.

• Utah Smitty and Brutusthebolens have said thanks

#22 Brutusthebolens OFFLINE  

Brutusthebolens
  • Member No: 47893
  • 28 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 01:01 PM

Yeah, I was looking through and noticed the air cleaner and exhaust.  Good Info.

Old Buzzard.........I am in awe every time I see your signature!!!!  I can only dream at this point! 

Mark K.

#23 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 04:31 PM

Yeah, I was looking through and noticed the air cleaner and exhaust.  Good Info.

Old Buzzard.........I am in awe every time I see your signature!!!!  I can only dream at this point! 

Mark K.

I have 3 of the books with that photo it is one of the bigger misprints bolens made and this is not the first time someone asked about it. :D   

I have a good idea why they did it.   

I do have photos of one prototype 1886 and I own another 1886 that is a prototype.

• Bolens 1000 and Brutusthebolens have said thanks

#24 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted August 23, 2015 - 04:25 PM

Excellent write up on the large frames.  We now have solid clarification of the tube frames and the large frames.  Only one lacking is the Medium frames, but I guess anything that isn't a tube or large has to be a medium, huh?  Except for the small stamped frames of course.

• Paulgo said thank you

#25 Coin Guy OFFLINE  

Coin Guy
  • Member No: 76709
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 02:57 AM

I have purchased an 1886-1 this weekend. It has a rototiller on the back and a blade on the front. Seems to run good, I moved a couple of burn piles that were going to be in the way for for some work I have planned for the morning, I've also tried out the tiller but not impressed with it on my first try, I have hydraulic fluid leaking from both ends must be why I was given a partial 5 gallon bucket of the stuff. I can see some things that need a little work also there has been some rewiring done with the old wires still in place. Needs a paint job and one of the rear tires is sliced open but the tube holds air so that's not an immediate concern.

#26 greystone OFFLINE  

greystone
  • Member No: 60100
  • 14 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted December 05, 2016 - 08:41 PM

I have a 1250 large frame. I need a rim to fit on the rear to make it a dual wheel. Does anybody know where or what rims fit ?