6 replies to this topic

#1 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted April 06, 2014 - 06:54 PM

A while back, I posted photos of the insides of a Model 15 transaxle.  More recently, I purchased a second Model 20.  It made an awful noise when I moved it around, so today I opened up the Gear Case.  Given the lack of oil, surplus of rust, and number of chipped teeth, I am surprised it even moved.  Didn't find the chips, though.

Oh, and I have also recently found a parts manual for the 20.  They call it a Gear Case, not a transaxle. Hence the name change.

DSCN3376.JPG DSCN3380.JPG

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, IamSherwood and 4 others have said thanks

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 06, 2014 - 09:57 PM

At least the chips weren't big enough to get chunked through the bottom of the case.  That is nasty.

Ben W.

• trowel and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 07, 2014 - 04:56 AM

What would cause chipped gears like that in a transaxle where they should be meshed all the time? If everything is tight and it's not overloaded it shouldn't happen.

• trowel and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 07, 2014 - 06:07 AM

What would cause chipped gears like that in a transaxle where they should be meshed all the time? If everything is tight and it's not overloaded it shouldn't happen.

Age, abuse, worn bushings and bearings, it happens to farm tractors too, roller chains in rototiller chain cases, riding garden tractors.

Very common with auto rear axle pumpkins that has been subjected to high stress.

Canada, what are your plans with the gear case ?

In the end it usually is always from abuse/overloading the gear box.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner and superaben have said thanks

#5 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted April 07, 2014 - 11:39 AM

The plan for the gear case is, at present, to keep it from rusting further.  This tractor has a long list of problems and may become a parts donor.  It came with an engine that had a reduction gearbox on it.  To make that fit, someone welded the engine carrier plate in an offset position.  That will need to get cut off & cleaned up.  Many of the bushings & bearings are either missing or shot.  Etc.

To preserve it, I disassembled it, washed it with gas & a wire brush, hosed it down with Parts Cleaner, and then applied Rust OFF!.  It sat overnight, was washed with hot water, dried, hosed off with Parts Cleaner, and then painted with some oil / gas resistant engine paint I had left over from a previous project.  It will sit for a week & then get reassembled.

DSCN3384.JPG DSCN3385.JPG DSCN3388.JPG DSCN3400.JPG DSCN3403.JPG DSCN3407.JPG DSCN3408.JPG DSCN3410.JPG DSCN3371.JPG

• Alc, trowel and Mike Unwin have said thanks

#6 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12382
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 07:37 AM

Hi Brian,

Just started on my # 20 first had to get the handles brazed as water had entered the pipes and split the tubes and started to strip the little tractor down. Like you I had some Shutter Green paint left over from the Empire and thought I could lighten by adding Holland Yellow seems all that gets you is JOHN DEERE GREEN ! EEEK ! Cheers Mike

• LPBolens and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#7 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 03:18 PM

Yes, the handles do seem to collect water, likely from the holes for the drive engage lever rod.  There is no hole at the bottom for it to get out again.

I dropped of two more chunks for metal for paint sampling today.  Both had original paint in a well protected area that seems to have escaped re-painting.  I hope to get the results tomorrow night.  The quest continues ...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: waterloo