skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted April 06, 2014 - 06:30 AM

Well folks I had the pleasantries' of taking one apart yesterday and let me tell you this, if you think your going to break one...... well your sadly mistaken!! They are insanely rugged !! WAY WAY tougher than a cub tranny !! Axles are huge as are all the gears and diff too .

You might be asking why I took on apart, well ... Just to se why the diff works sooooo good ! Now I see why ! 

We are building a pulling tractor and are using a cub rear but do not want a locked diff and no one makes a limited slip unit for them that I have been able to find. The little guy driving it shouldn't have to wrestle with keeping it going straight . The Ford LGT hydro goes straight as an arrow compaired to the locked axle unit so this was the reason for a" look see". I have a few extras so it was no big deal .

Anyone thinking that case has a lot of empty space in it just needs to pick it up LOL they are some rugged. And the 2600 series with diff lock is even tougher ! So you guys worrying about hurting one by overloading it :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:  :loosing_it: You better get more horsepower ! like 30+

These are seriously sought!!

Now so too is the Cub unit as far as the housing... very rugged!!!! NO DOUGHT ! But the internals are not :oh_shucks: The diff and axles are not, in my opinion, even close to proportion of the trans-housing. So the quest continues for a better diff ,the Peerless 2500 is WAY too large for the cub. :boo_hoo:

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 06, 2014 - 12:23 PM

The Dana units that are in the JD 120, 1240, 300 up to 317 are also rugged. The axles are 30mm in diameter. I think those 2500 Peerless units are rated for 1800lbs of weight on the axle as are the Dana units in the JD's. I was always under the impression that the Cub rear end was stronger than these units!! 

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted April 06, 2014 - 12:36 PM

Got some pics of the innards? I'd like to see some. I have 2 extra 2500/Eaton 11 rears at the moment. I also have most of a Dana out of the Toro, just don't have the Sundstrand 15 to run it.

#4 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted April 06, 2014 - 04:58 PM

I didn't even think about it... Doh!! But I thinkit will be ppossible.
  • KennyP said thank you

#5 hobbytrading75 OFFLINE  

hobbytrading75
  • Member No: 55771
  • 3 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 02:55 PM

Hello .

Thanks that You start this post about the 2500 peerless.I always wisht to have one GT with this type of trany...hard to finde in E Europe.

Now with a litle luck I boughted one in Holland,and that is a Jacobsen GT12 (need...and deserve! restauration)

The kohler 301 in it is a swiss klock, the trany I dont espect to bee such a tuff construction, but here I have some doubt.

On lifted tractor it is a play on the rear axle, out and back..that is normal, but the play up and down I dont like, and seams it is coming from the interior, not from the last axle bearing.

have You some ideas, what can bee? can I see some pictures from the 2500 interior if You have?

thanks a lot

Attila

• MH81 said thank you

#6 hobbytrading75 OFFLINE  

hobbytrading75
  • Member No: 55771
  • 3 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 05:01 PM

I didn't even think about it... Doh!! But I thinkit will be ppossible.

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 05:28 AM

Hello .

Thanks that You start this post about the 2500 peerless.I always wisht to have one GT with this type of trany...hard to finde in E Europe.
Now with a litle luck I boughted one in Holland,and that is a Jacobsen GT12 (need...and deserve! restauration)

The kohler 301 in it is a swiss klock, the trany I dont espect to bee such a tuff construction, but here I have some doubt.
On lifted tractor it is a play on the rear axle, out and back..that is normal, but the play up and down I dont like, and seams it is coming from the interior, not from the last axle bearing.

have You some ideas, what can bee? can I see some pictures from the 2500 interior if You have?

thanks a lot

Attila

:welcometogttalk:
Sounds like a nice unit, hope the axel play is OK.
Post a pic of your new possession when you can.