Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted April 06, 2014 - 04:30 AM

A friend asked me to help find a loader for his JD 790 CUT.  It's a 2000 model with 4wd, manual transmission, power steering.  The front hydraulic connections are on the left side of the tractor just in front of the operator's platform.

I checked Tractor Data, and the Model 70 and Model 300 JD loaders will fit it with the right kit.  Apparently Westendorf TA55s and TA11st will fit,  as well as Allied 195s and 2195s. 

Does anyone know of other loaders made for this machine.  Any recommendations as to particular brands to avoid, or features to get?

Thanks,

Smitty

• jd.rasentrac said thank you

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 06, 2014 - 05:41 AM

There are 2 versions of the 300 one is a CX or quick mount loader and the plain 300 is bolt on and forget it. I'm not sure that both versions fit the 790. The 790 and 990 are great tractors. They were built by Yanmar but lack a few of the features you would get on the JD 3000 series tractors. They were made for a long time so there may be used 70 loaders out there. The loader mounting brackets are the key to getting a 300 to fit on a 790. My guess is that they would be very expensive to buy from JD so you may be limited to 300 loaders that were originally installed on a 790 and come with the mounts. The mounts are serious hardware. The ones on my 2320 which is smaller than a 790 and uses the smaller 200 loader are made of about 3/4" steel and weigh maybe 50lbs each. Not cheap or easy to replicate.

• sacsr and Utah Smitty have said thanks

#3 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted April 06, 2014 - 10:08 AM

There are 2 versions of the 300 one is a CX or quick mount loader and the plain 300 is bolt on and forget it. I'm not sure that both versions fit the 790. The 790 and 990 are great tractors. They were built by Yanmar but lack a few of the features you would get on the JD 3000 series tractors. They were made for a long time so there may be used 70 loaders out there. The loader mounting brackets are the key to getting a 300 to fit on a 790. My guess is that they would be very expensive to buy from JD so you may be limited to 300 loaders that were originally installed on a 790 and come with the mounts. The mounts are serious hardware. The ones on my 2320 which is smaller than a 790 and uses the smaller 200 loader are made of about 3/4" steel and weigh maybe 50lbs each. Not cheap or easy to replicate.

Thanks Brian. from what I've read, quick mounts and quick attach buckets, etc are the way to go. The Westendorf loaders have a quick release mount and QR attachments. The mount is proprietary, but the attachments can use a Skid Steer type mount so you can put all types of attachments.

BTW, do you know what the front of the hood is made of. It has a crack starting on top where an ornament or something was mounted and we need to repair it.

Thanks again,

Smitty

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 06, 2014 - 12:40 PM

I've found that fibreglass works on most of those plastic hoods. I've never repaired one on a 790 so test first. I found some info on later model 790's that I'll send you in a PM. Not sure if it will help but it does give all the specs. 

• Utah Smitty said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: john deere loader, front end loader, jd model 70