15 replies to this topic

#1 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29382
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted April 05, 2014 - 10:06 PM

You may remember, not too long ago, my brother was trying to sell a big green belt driven generator that came with the SS16 he bought. I traded him for it, the plow, and the generator not too long ago. I got the tractor running and had an idea for a better way to mount the generator. The previous owner that my brother bought it off of had it bolted on a board that mounted to the snow plow. I have a few pto slides from previous tractors that I bought and have no use for. I had a piece of steel plate form an Allis B10 that I parted out. I took all of those, put them together and made a decent looking attachment for my ss16. And the best part is that it works.

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo-0087.jpg
  • Photo-0088.jpg

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, wvbuzzmaster and 5 others have said thanks

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 05, 2014 - 10:14 PM

Looks good. I would make a cover for it to keep water out of the outlets when no in use.
  • trowel, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#3 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted April 05, 2014 - 10:19 PM

I was already thinking about that, just haven't gotten to it yet since I only got it put together today.

• wvbuzzmaster, trowel, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted April 06, 2014 - 05:43 AM

That's cool and adds front weight.

• trowel, boyscout862 and suburban 12 have said thanks

#5 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 06, 2014 - 05:54 AM

That's neat, nice job.

Are you going to ad a control box with meters ?

• boyscout862 and suburban 12 have said thanks

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 06, 2014 - 06:00 AM

Nice clean mount! How do you have it geared. In other words, what engine rpms are you turning to get 60hz? Depending on the size of the generator you may be able to adjust the speed of that 16hp engine down a bit to reduce fuel consumption and noise while still getting full power.  

• trowel, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#7 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 06, 2014 - 06:25 AM

I was just typing that when you replied Brian, lol.

If i remember correctly the genny is a 3000 watt right ?

#8 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted April 06, 2014 - 10:02 AM

That's neat, nice job.

Are you going to ad a control box with meters ?

Control box? It already has a volt meter on it, though I think it may need replaced since it stuck in the "green zone" on it when I ran it yesterday.

Nice clean mount! How do you have it geared. In other words, what engine rpms are you turning to get 60hz? Depending on the size of the generator you may be able to adjust the speed of that 16hp engine down a bit to reduce fuel consumption and noise while still getting full power.  

I have no clue what rpms I am at for 60hz. I do know that I had it running close to full throttle on the large engine pto pulley. Compared to "normal" single cylinder engines, the onan is fairly quiet even at full speed.

If i remember correctly the genny is a 3000 watt right ?

It is a 3500 watt.

#9 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted April 06, 2014 - 10:44 AM

The generator is meade to be run at 3600 rpm.

I have no clue what rpms I am at for 60hz. I do know that I had it running close to full throttle on the large engine pto pulley. Compared to "normal" single cylinder engines, the onan is fairly quiet even at full speed.

If you are running the tractor at full throttle the pulley size ratio should be 1:1 or very close to that. Otherwise if you are using the large pulley on the pto you should reduce the engine speed some so you don't spin the generator faster than it's rated for.

• HDWildBill and suburban 12 have said thanks

#10 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted April 06, 2014 - 11:29 AM

I was playing with it some more today and it will power the light in our shed and my grinder with plenty of power at just over half throttle.

#11 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted April 06, 2014 - 12:10 PM

Nice setup, you did a good job.  I think we had a tread a while back that someone was looking into doing something similar. 

• suburban 12 said thank you

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 06, 2014 - 12:28 PM

Do you have any way to measure RPM or frequency? Most modern multimeters measure frequency or a tach could be used to measure the generator rpms. For 60hz a 2 pole generator needs to be turned at 3600 rpms. Light bulbs won't be fussy about the frequency of power but anything with an AC motor like most refrigerator or pumps will not like the power being much below 60hz. 

#13 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted April 06, 2014 - 12:42 PM

Nice setup, you did a good job.  I think we had a tread a while back that someone was looking into doing something similar. 

Thanks. My friend did the welding since I don't have a welder, or know how to weld very well.

I made is as a bolt on so that I have the ability to make more attachments and just swap them out on the same mounting plate.

Do you have any way to measure RPM or frequency? Most modern multimeters measure frequency or a tach could be used to measure the generator rpms. For 60hz a 2 pole generator needs to be turned at 3600 rpms. Light bulbs won't be fussy about the frequency of power but anything with an AC motor like most refrigerator or pumps will not like the power being much below 60hz. 

I don't have a way to measure the rpms. I am somewhat multimeter illiterate. I don't know if it means anything, but it is a 60 cycle generator, and after I drop it below half throttle the light will start flickering form lack of enough power.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 06, 2014 - 12:53 PM

Thanks. My friend did the welding since I don't have a welder, or know how to weld very well.

I made is as a bolt on so that I have the ability to make more attachments and just swap them out on the same mounting plate.

I don't have a way to measure the rpms. I am somewhat multimeter illiterate. I don't know if it means anything, but it is a 60 cycle generator, and after I drop it below half throttle the light will start flickering form lack of enough power.

That flickering means the engine is going too slow and the frequency of the power generated is low enough for you to see the light  flicker at the frequency of the power. 

• HDWildBill said thank you

#15 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 06, 2014 - 06:27 PM

Control box? It already has a volt meter on it, though I think it may need replaced since it stuck in the "green zone" on it when I ran it yesterday.

It is a 3500 watt.

Hence me stating about the control box, the voltmeter is configured for 110 volts and is old, i built a external control box because it seems all gennies being sold in US now has no way of knowing if the volts and hertz are off after repair of the engine or as you are doing, belt driving one.

God know how many gennies it has dialed in since i built it.

You could also just buy those cheap plug in things or a regular voltmeter.