1 reply to this topic

#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,522 Thanks
  • 6,381 posts

Posted April 05, 2014 - 08:49 PM

Warm and sunny here today, so went outside to rake/blow rocks back in drive again. Went around and started up most of the tractors and ran awhile. Speedex even rope started good.  Took two snow blades off, so now winter is officially over!  Think I found the leaking oil on D Wheelhorse. Once blade was off it dripped in easier to see spot. When I rev and set it was spiting some oil forward from the pump area behind engine. SO, guess some metal coming off to see what's up with that. Glad it isn't the engine crank seal like first thought. The flywheel blower IS blowing oil all over, but it squirts up that way from pump. Filled the new roller half-way and ran around back some. Think I'm gonna try more water. Pulled with my 24" Power King with ags and they make marks for sure, but now slipping. I tried the D-horse out in yard and it sinks less. Has wider bar tires, mostly worn out and those darn big wide fronts. Should pull the roller too w/out slipping, I hope anyway. Gonna try that in front, maybe tommorrow, supposed to be even nicer.

ON the briggs starter. Last summer paid $99 for one for my Speedex 16hp engine. Worked pretty good. Then this winter when going out to plow, the darn thing just Broke right off the engine at mount feet. Darn thing also has a plastic drive wheel, 16 tooth that was looking pretty messed up. I have found and bought another starter on epay for $39 now. I didn't have the little strap that goes over the body of starter and bolts to block. Not sure if that missing made it torque too much and break off the feet?  I haven't found that strap part at shows, so guess I'll have to make one. I see my MTD 990 has that same strap, so can copy it I guess. Also on epay are metal gears offered, but only in the 14 tooth size. I see many offerings of the plastic gears in double all the way up to 5 packs.  Is this just going to be something that is needing changing often?? WTF??  There is also a drive only gear set with springs and all, but it offers same plastic gear, so didn't see any option to going that way, seeing as my starter is new and parts should be also. This starter seems to be a less popular one and harder to find. All kinds of them with 14 teeth and heavy metal mount ears, but those ears are in closer together than on my engines.  Mine has an aluminum mount plate, think the steel would be better, but as noted, not the same mount width.

Well, was kinda good to get out of the house again and work on the junk in garage and yard. I'm kinda pooped now, gonna have to work into the garage seen slowly while still working. Makes for long days, not as much rest in summer.  Spring has Sprung at G. L. Grumpy's  old iron ranch! 

#2 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,405 Thanks
  • 1,324 posts

Posted April 06, 2014 - 08:09 AM

Glad to hear most of the units are working well. As for the starter, I would fabricate the strap to give the extra support. Not having it may be causing the starter to move around a bit chewing up the plastic gear.

Just my two cents.