• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Mark Speece OFFLINE  

Mark Speece
  • Member No: 54803
  • 3 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted April 09, 2014 - 02:56 PM

Thank You and Hello Ben, I am sorry if I did not say it correctly in my original post, I don't think I blew any condensers, I just do not know how many micro Farads it should be. I tried a few different ones, because being in the industrial electronic business, that is one thing I have quite a few values of. Bill - USN Ret, was kind enough to tell me to check with you, however, me being new to this, I did not know how to find you, thank you for finding me! I am not even 100% sure my coil is bad, unfortunately, I probably won't have time to get back to it until this weekend. I learned from an old listing on ebay, from Joes outdoor power, that Massey Ferguson used this same coil and iron piece that bolts on behind the engine shroud. The info listed said it was from a model MF10, MPN 1446, dated 1968, engine being a HH100, engine Spec # 115033, with the engine serial # 6031. The picture he had on the listing looked exactly like mine, however the listing expired. If I had an e-mail address for you, I could send you pictures of what I have, if you would need it. The actual Iron part of mine comes apart, by removing one screw, making the coil itself replaceable. I would like to know more about joining your test group, as it will not take me long to find out and let you know. I actually took the iron apart, so I could measure the inside dimensions of what the coil has to be to slip on. It measured .008 to .010 over 1/2 inch on the square part and 1.5 inches on the length. I am pretty sure the condenser is a Tecumseh part # 32015 from the research I did so far. I saw you have one listed and figure I might as well order one also, because I am not sure the .25 mF I measured on mine is what it should be. I would think it to be original to the engine, but that would make it about 45 years old. If you could leave me know more about test group, maybe that would be the best way for me to go. My e-mail address for my work dlinedrive@aol.com and I am usually on that most of the day. Again, thank you to everyone helping me here.

Mark 

#17 TX_Dj OFFLINE  

TX_Dj
  • Member No: 54173
  • 141 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted April 09, 2014 - 08:29 PM

I just do not know how many micro Farads it should be. I tried a few different ones, because being in the industrial electronic business, that is one thing I have quite a few values of.

I can't tell ya voltage/capacitance values either, but... but I'm pretty sure that it is a non-polar cap.  If you were using something like a standard polarized electrolytic, it probably wouldn't work quite as expected.  But what you can do is take a pair of electrolytics, tie their negatives together, and connect the positive between ground on one side and the condenser terminal on the other side.  This makes it non-polar.  Due to the nature of the beast, you get approximately half the capacitance of the rated value on the cap.  

When the points disconnect, the field collapse on the primary is what causes the secondary to "fire" the plug - the condenser is there to prevent that much higher back EMF pulse voltage from bridging the points gap and arcing, which causes erosion to the points.  You can technically run without it - but the points won't last long.

So if your points are good, timing is set, and you're getting power into the coil, having a bad condenser won't always *prevent* the engine from running, it will just likely run poorly and eat your breaker point contacts.

I don't suspect the capacitance value is very high- maybe something like 10 uF at maximum, but the voltage value is probably very high, in the 200v range or so.

Then again, I'm no expert, and I'm really good at messing things up. :D

• Mark Speece said thank you

#18 Mark Speece OFFLINE  

Mark Speece
  • Member No: 54803
  • 3 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted April 11, 2014 - 01:56 PM

Thanks TX_Dj,

I was using non polorized caps in mu experimentation, but the highest I went was .47 uF, due to my initial measurement of the original cap only being .25 uF. I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and get a new coil and cap. If taken care of, these old Custom XL tractors just keep on working. Everything else in the line of attachments are in good shape, so I don't want to get rid of it yet. Thanks for looking and trying to help out.

• MH81 and HDWildBill have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bad coil, condenser