Garden Tractor Forums banner

Doodlebug/tractor Project

3K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  gtcsreg 
#1 ·
I guess I better start a new thread as this project is more involved than I thought it was going to be.

Todays progress picture shows me after grinding the welds I am applying bodyfiller to the seams.

I should get the back half of the machine ground and body filler applied this afternoon .

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
Thanks ,

Yes it is a walk behind snowblower :bigrofl:

The gears were shot in the blower so I decided to convert it to a walk behind snowplow. I used it over 15 times plowing my driveway when we got under 4 inches of snow. It worked great.

Then I had a idea to build a little sulky to hook to it in the summer and take off the blade and just drive it around the yard.

Todays progress shows it is now green , after a few days I will sand the paint and buff it all out. Then I will paint some yellow stripes on the side .

Slowly taking shape.

Attachments

#11 ·
Today I decided to use the tri rib tires i had sitting around for a couple years. I am starting the design for a narrow front swivel wheel system. It will just bolt on and off so I can still put the blade on for plowing snow in the winter.

Attachments

#13 ·
No front mower, ha,ha.

Today I worked on the sheet metal on the nose and boxed in one more light . Tomorrow I should get the front done and then start on the last project and that is the hitch

Attachments

#15 ·
Ha, ha,

Todays progress shows the front nose sanded and painted. Once I get the articulating hitch built I may remove the narrow front and just build a cute little normal bumper on front. :smilewink:

By removing 8 bolts the nose comes off so the snowblade can be mounted back on for snowplowing.

The sulky won't be used for snowplowing either.

Attachments

#16 ·
Two weeks on vacation was great but yesterday back in the shop welding seemed good too.

Todays progress pic shows the hitch and steering wheel done. I took some 1/4 inch thick steel and cut out the parts for the hitch with the plasma cutter. This morning I got it all welded together. I also installed a steering wheel for more confusion, :wallbanging:

I am now finishing the two storage boxes that mount on the fenders. I should get the yellow stripes painted on this week and take it for the first test drive. Not my best project, but a fun one.

Attachments

#17 ·
. I also installed a steering wheel for more confusion,
Well it worked, I was all messed up.

Great job as usual!!! :smilewink:

Does the hitch pivot in 2 directions? i.e. side to side at pin, then swivel on tractor?

#18 ·
Thanks , I started to design the hitch to swivel side to side too but the play in the pin gives enough to work. If I see it needs it , I will go back and put the side swivel in. Just for my flat yard it will work perfect.

Todays progress shows the fender mounted storage boxes now completed and painted. Also the steering dash and the hitch parts painted. The box on the right side of the photo is the new nose piece I built yesterday and painted to replace the narrow front assembly I removed. I will use that on another project . Today I will paint the yellow parts and this weekend I will do the first test drive.

Attachments

#19 ·
Todays progress shows the decals on the sulky , the diamond plate floor done. Also the hood now has yellow stripes and will get a black border today . Tomorrow I will test drive it and Deb will take a video and share it with everyone. The sulky will look very cute hooked behind my 1/2 scale Diesel 4020 with my 3 year old grandson riding behind me.

Thanks again for the positive comments.

Attachments

#21 ·
Thanks,

IT IS FINISHED ! :dancingbanana:

Considering it started out as a broken walk behind snowblower I am pleased how it turned out. I had no idea when I started cutting off the snowblower housing and mounting a blade on it that it would end up looking like this. :camera:

This afternoon I will test drive it and share the video.

Attachments

#23 ·
My wife put the test drive video on you-tube this afternoon . The doodlebug worked great :dancingbanana:

Anyone who might want to watch the video go to my webpage at

www.doncampbellmodels.com

and click on the link.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.