#1 Mike125s OFFLINE  

Mike125s
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52007
  • 43 Thanks
  • 117 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 05:00 AM

Hi guys

I have a problem with the left wheel hub  set screw coming loose.   The wheel hub then starts to slide off.  The right side is pretty much frozen in place.(wheel stays on)  Do you guys have any ideas?  I thought of locktite.  It seems like a Mickey Mouse setup to hold the whole wheel on with one small set screw. Thanks much!

Mike

Genoa,IL

• boyscout862 and Oldford have said thanks

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 05:15 AM

How deep/threads are there ?  Maybe a longer set screw or bolt with a jam nut or 2 short set screws  the second one is to jam the first .

• tractorgarden, boyscout862 and Mike125s have said thanks

#3 Mike125s OFFLINE  

Mike125s
  • Contributor
  • 43 Thanks
  • 117 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 05:29 AM

How deep/threads are there ?  Maybe a longer set screw or bolt with a jam nut or 2 short set screws  the second one is to jam the first .

The threads are as deep as the cast iron in the hub, about 1/4 inch.  Where the screw contacts the axle, it only indents about 1-2mm into the axle.  Thanks

Mike

#4 Mike125s OFFLINE  

Mike125s
  • Contributor
  • 43 Thanks
  • 117 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 05:30 AM

The threads are as deep as the cast iron in the hub, about 1/4 inch.  Where the screw contacts the axle, it only indents about 1-2mm into the axle.  Thanks

Mike

Maybe another nut on the screw would work??  Thanks

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 Mike125s OFFLINE  

Mike125s
  • Contributor
  • 43 Thanks
  • 117 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 06:04 AM

Mike

Correction,screw threads are about 11/4 in.  I think I should not have put never seize on the screw??  I love that stuff,sometimes I put it where it does not belong maybe.

Mike

• Oldford said thank you

#6 Mike125s OFFLINE  

Mike125s
  • Contributor
  • 43 Thanks
  • 117 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 08:05 AM

PS the keyway and key on the axle seem okay

• Oldford said thank you

#7 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 09:10 AM

I'm not sure if it's a model year difference as mine have two set screws in them however, someone obviously allowed them to loosen up substantially as the key slot in both the axles and the hubs are pretty much demolished. Perhaps you can add a second set screw and be ok since you caught it in time?uploadfromtaptalk1396620601376.jpg
  • Alc, Oldford and Mike125s have said thanks

#8 Mike125s OFFLINE  

Mike125s
  • Contributor
  • 43 Thanks
  • 117 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 09:28 AM

I'm not sure if it's a model year difference as mine have two set screws in them however, someone obviously allowed them to loosen up substantially as the key slot in both the axles and the hubs are pretty much demolished. Perhaps you can add a second set screw and be ok since you caught it in time?attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1396620601376.jpg

My hubs only have one set screw.  Have you ever countersunk into the axle maybe 1/4 so the screw has a hole to sit in axle??  I was thinking about doing that.  The keyway on the side thats loose seems okay,The other side unknown(frozen),I think i'll leave it that way..At least it wont fall off

Mike 

• Alc and Oldford have said thanks

#9 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 09:33 AM

I haven't. One of the set screws tightens down directly on top of the key so I could only countersink the other one and I'd be concerned about weakening the axle by doing so. The original design configuration allows the hubs to be adjusted in or out to modify track width so countersinking a set screw would defeat that purpose as well. I believe if the key/slots are in good shape and the set screws are kept tight the factory system would be adequate. In my case I need some machine work done before I can test that theory, in your case I'd look for later style hubs or see if you can drill and tap another hole to add a second set screw.
  • Alc, Oldford and Mike125s have said thanks

#10 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 01:48 PM

My 68 Ford 120 basically same as yours same hub came with a loose hub that had wallerd the hub, the axle where the 2nd screw sits, and key but not the keyway.  Was able to weld up the wallerd part carefully then did grind a slight pocket for the 2nd screw to set in.  Bought a NOS hub ebay new key ace hardware blue loctite on both set screws has held up fine for 2 years of heavy use.  Got lucky. 

I'd use a lot of blue loctite and keep checking tightness of screws and hub, you don't want that hub loose while driving or will cause damage.  Regular 3/8 wrench was fine as ir.  IMO the loctite should prevent rusting shut.  Wouldn't use anti-seize as hub does seem a mickey mouse design needs to stay tight esp if previous issues.  I was lucky able to fix it in place but wouldn't want to do it again or push my luck.  i don't run wheel weights for that reason have a back weight and ice chains for winter so far so good.

Good luck

as for adjusting track width i flipped the wheels around to wide stance safer on hills can fit chains clears the mower deck except on highest setting but doesn't rub too bad aluminum deck gets a little shiny doesn't hurt tire.  I'd get that hub tight and leave it there just my .02  my other hub still tight from factory and don't need to move it or need to try  good luck

Edited by Oldford, April 04, 2014 - 01:51 PM.

• Alc and Mike125s have said thanks

#11 Mike125s OFFLINE  

Mike125s
  • Contributor
  • 43 Thanks
  • 117 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 02:51 PM

Thanks guys

I blue locktited the heck out of the screw and retightened.  Hopefully it holds.  I'll check after it dries.  Thanks much!!

Mike

Genoa,IL

#12 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,639 Thanks
  • 1,052 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 03:13 PM

Try a serrated set screw----google knurled cup set screws---they are made to bite in and prevent loosening due to vibration.
May solve your problem,I have used them on other things and they seemed to work but the ends wear out after repeted use.

Bill
  • Alc and Mike125s have said thanks

#13 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,299 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 04:54 PM

A small indentation on the axle, longer set screw, (NO never seize) and the blue (servicable) Loctite should do the trick!

• Mike125s said thank you

#14 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 06:05 PM

If it loosens again, I'd remove the hub, clean it & the axle, then blue Loctite the hub to the axle.  Heating will break down the Loctite if you ever need to remove the hub later.

• Mike125s said thank you