#1 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 06:31 PM

What year is this tractor? Value? Comes with snowblower and plow.

Gilson S12.jpg

#2 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 07:15 PM

Not experienced here, but I'm guessing around 1967-68? I had one like that about two years, and it was a 1967 according to the original owner. Looks like it's in real good shape.

Edited by johndeereelfman, April 04, 2014 - 10:56 AM.

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 09:36 PM

The S-Frames were made between 1970 and 1975.  If I knew the model number, I could give you an exact year.

I've sold S-Frames for anywheres between 300 to $700.  The higher end would have to come with a mower deck and other more desirable attachments and running perfectly.  They are good solid tractors. 

Ben W.

• johndeereelfman and Oldford have said thanks

#4 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 10:50 AM

Are the headlights on it common? Same with the wheel weights?

#5 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 10:56 AM

The S-Frames were made between 1970 and 1975.  If I knew the model number, I could give you an exact year.

I've sold S-Frames for anywheres between 300 to $700.  The higher end would have to come with a mower deck and other more desirable attachments and running perfectly.  They are good solid tractors. 

Ben W.

They would have to have been built earlier than that, they were branded Montgomery Ward as early as '68.

They are a solid tractor, I have two of the Wards versions in 16hp.  Parts availability is nill, other than the engine.  The blower works good for a single stage, I have one.  As for value, it is what you decide it is worth.  One of mine was bought new by my Grandpa, the other I bought at an auction for $75.

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 07:44 PM

They would have to have been built earlier than that, they were branded Montgomery Ward as early as '68.

They are a solid tractor, I have two of the Wards versions in 16hp.  Parts availability is nill, other than the engine.  The blower works good for a single stage, I have one.  As for value, it is what you decide it is worth.  One of mine was bought new by my Grandpa, the other I bought at an auction for $75.

Gilson made Monkey Wards tractors much earlier than 1968. 

I'm talking only about the S-Frames.  From my understanding, that line was made from 1970 to 1975.  Maybe I'm wrong?  Do we have any Gilson experts on here?

Ben W.

#7 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted April 07, 2014 - 08:38 AM

Gilson made Monkey Wards tractors much earlier than 1968. 

I'm talking only about the S-Frames.  From my understanding, that line was made from 1970 to 1975.  Maybe I'm wrong?  Do we have any Gilson experts on here?

Ben W.

I am no expert, but AFAIK Wards marketed the exact model from his picture in '68, except called a Squire, painted all copper.   The S series continued, at least as Wards models, until at least 76 or 77.  But maybe Gilson did not call them the S series after the hood change. The hoods on the Wards models were changed from the bug eye lights to a larger grille with recessed lights by around '76.  Gilson also changed their hood around the same time to put the lights in the grille, but their hood was different from the Wards specific hood.  Pictures make the frames look the same.  My '74 models are both bug eye hood models.

Edited by Sprint 6, April 07, 2014 - 08:42 AM.

• superaben said thank you

#8 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted April 07, 2014 - 03:48 PM

This tractor is coming up for sale and maybe I can score it cheap.

#9 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 07, 2014 - 10:19 PM

I am no expert, but AFAIK Wards marketed the exact model from his picture in '68, except called a Squire, painted all copper.   The S series continued, at least as Wards models, until at least 76 or 77.  But maybe Gilson did not call them the S series after the hood change. The hoods on the Wards models were changed from the bug eye lights to a larger grille with recessed lights by around '76.  Gilson also changed their hood around the same time to put the lights in the grille, but their hood was different from the Wards specific hood.  Pictures make the frames look the same.  My '74 models are both bug eye hood models.

I see what you are seeing.  There seem to be some folks reporting engines dated much earlier than my claim of 70-75, also, so I think the evidence points your way.

Maybe what I heard applies to Gilson branded tractors, not Wards. 

I'm just repeating what I was told.  Doesn't mean I was told right. 

Thanks for the good info.  :thumbs:

Ben W.

#10 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 07:30 AM

This tractor is coming up for sale and maybe I can score it cheap.

I it were near me, I would be all over it.  That is my favorite GT, grew up on my MW 16 that belonged to my Grandpa.  It is rare to find them with the lights, they are usually missing, they vibrate loose and the left one gets damaged by the muffler.  Never been on a 12hp model, maybe they vibrate less, my 16's can shake a martini.

#11 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 04:09 PM

What would you guys consider a deal on this?

#12 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 05:42 PM

Don't know if I can get this. I got bigger fish to fry

#13 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted April 09, 2014 - 07:27 AM

Does not look like it has run recently, but looks like it would clean up well.  $200 is where I would be on it.

• VintageIronCollector said thank you

#14 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted April 09, 2014 - 04:31 PM

Does not look like it has run recently, but looks like it would clean up well.  $200 is where I would be on it.

I still hope to go to the auction. If I would get it it would be for sale because I don't really collect Gilson. I just don't want some scrap guy to get it.

#15 67 Gilson OFFLINE  

67 Gilson
  • Member No: 53926
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 08:30 PM

My 1967 Gilson S-12 craigslist find looks just like yours. I picked it up a couple of months ago. AFAIK the cast iron foot rests were a 1967-68 item. My tractor came with a dozer blade, roto-tiller, mower deck, and has the hydraulic lift. Asking price was $400, I paid $380. 

It ran with a little tinkering and I pushed lots of snow with it this winter, but it was really tired. (worn out top to bottom !)

I have it completely torn down now and I'm slowly rebuilding it...

Ron