6 replies to this topic

#1 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,739 Thanks
  • 2,159 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 06:22 PM

Here is my situation,

the road I live on was recoated with a tar/ gravel combo this fall. As a result the front lawn is covered with 1/4" gravel . I normally hand rake the front yard ( 90' x25' ), to wake up the lawn, but with all the gravel,(at least 10' in) i thought something mechanical would be in order.

rent a power broom for the day @$50 then clean up the mess by hand ( shovel into trailer ) 

buy a lawn sweeper http://www.tractorsu...er-104677299--1

that should pick up the rocks and spruce up the lawn from winter. It could also be used for general cleanup around in the back (1/2 acre) during the summer and fall. 

The only thing I'm not sure of is will the sweeper pick up the rocks ? is it strong enough for that? Will it be able to clean up the lawn from the winter or will I need to borrow the neighbors dethacher and run it through the lawn first?

Any suggestions will be appreciated, Tom

#2 Cat385B OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,352 Thanks
  • 8,693 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 06:47 PM

That sweepster will roll 3 inch rocks back on the road if there's some in your yard. My biggest worry when using my Sweepster is gouging the yard through a low spot or sweeping the ground bare if I stop.

Easter 2013 021.jpg

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,516 Thanks
  • 7,379 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 07:18 PM

The 1/4" and 3/8" pea stone used in chip sealing doesn't usually cause trouble in lawns because it is so small. The town should have swept it all up a few days after it was put down. It is now your problem. Use an old rotory mower with a bagger that you don't care about. They are usually plentiful at the town dump this time of year because people left gas in them all winter. Set it at a low level and low speed. It will pick up what is loose.  Don't put it back on the road because traffic will just throw it back at you and it can now actually damage the road. You might even get a ticket for putting it on the road.  A bunch of it on the road can cause problems for bicycles too.

Good Luck, Rick 

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,702 Thanks
  • 28,344 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 09:20 PM

Th epull behind sweeper won't pick up the little stuff that ails you right now IMHO.  I think you are looking at the power broom as a best bet.

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 09:38 PM

A power broom is your best bet. 

If you really wanted to make life easy, I rent a skid steer attachment that has a broom that sweeps back into a bucket.  One pass and you can dump the junk right where you want it.  Its a broom and dust pan all in one!

Ben W.

• MH81, IamSherwood, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#6 Kurtee OFFLINE  

• Member No: 7561
  • 452 Thanks
  • 410 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 11:43 AM

Take a look at this video. These power brooms work very well to take rocks and gravel out of grass. I wouldn't give mine up.

#7 powerking56 OFFLINE  

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 12:15 PM

We use a hand held power broom every spring on the church lawn to put the gravel back into the parking lot after the winter plowing season, works well, if you rent or borrow just be sure to get the shoulder strap that should come with it!!